Matthew Fairburn off to cover the Pats (update - he’s back)

YoloinOhio

41 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Yes, the Athletic is looking for a "partner"...allegedly talked to the NY Times (their sports is weak) I read.  But, I disagree they will keep two reporters on Buffalo.  Joe B does a great job, and is the reason I subscribed to the A in the first place.  I never accepted the dual coverage although I admit Fairburn was doing acceptable journalistic work.  I am good with just Joe B covering the Bills for that outlet.

I was waiting to renew to see if the times was the buyer.  If so, no renew.  My sub starts at a bad time - when camp starts.  I did not want a lapse so I paid the full boat.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Proof that some people will do anything for money, 

This isn't "anything."  This is a better assignment (better because he will have a broader audience), with better prospects for advancement in his chosen profession.   

1 hour ago, First Round Bust said:

enjoyed his work, kind of second opinion to Joe B, likely to be replaced and certainly un-followed in move to the evil empire of the east..

He was very good. Smart and a good writer. 

Good luck to him. It's kind of the opposite of Rodak, the difference being that the Pats fans won't care that he came from Buffalo, whereas Bills fans were so owned by the Pats for so long they never forgot where he came from. 

That sucks - he is one of the best IMO.  I've always respected the effort and thought he puts into a lot of his stories.  Even when he was a beat reporter, instead of just regurgitating press conference comments like the majority of reporters do - a lot of times he makes the effort to look for an angle - and actually does the legwork to track down people in the orbit of a story (an old coach, teammate, relative etc) and get their perspective and put it together with different insight/viewpoints.

Edited by stevewin

Idk. He wasn’t bad. And Buscaglia isn’t terrible either. But their pods were so dry. 

Personally I would take:

Joe Marino @ Locked on Bills

Greg Tompsett & the Cover 1 Team

Capaccio @ WGR

Parino & Talbot
The Rockpile Report Guys

Nate Geary

Bruce Nolan

all above Fairburn Or Buscaglia for that matter. And with those above each producing about 14-16 hours of weekly listening content each week, aside from what any of them write. I just don’t really have time for them. 

* Again, not saying Fairburn or Buscaglia are terrible by any means but we have a wealth of talent in Bills coverage. 

Edited by Dkollidas

3 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Oh, but he also said Buffalo is home. I didn't see that he was from NE

Yeah. In the article he explains he grew up in Haverhill, Mass until he was 18. Buffalo became his home because he spent a lot of time there and met his wife, started a family, loved it, etc. But going back to Mass was only job that could take him away. 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

This isn't "anything."  This is a better assignment (better because he will have a broader audience), with better prospects for advancement in his chosen profession.   

It was a pats joke 😁👍

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.