Matthew Fairburn off to cover the Pats (update - he’s back)

YoloinOhio

• 8 months later...
  • YoloinOhio changed the title to Matthew Fairburn off to cover the Pats (update - he’s back)

So when he left last year and said it was his "dream job" to cover the Patriots as a life long Patriots fan what he really meant was it was only his dream job when the Patriots still had Tom Brady?

I know people like him here, but I've always found him overly critical of Josh Allen and his criticism always seemed more like trying to speak into existence Allen not being a franchise QB.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

So when he left last year and said it was his "dream job" to cover the Patriots as a life long Patriots fan what he really meant was it was only his dream job when the Patriots still had Tom Brady?

I know people like him here, but I've always found him overly critical of Josh Allen and his criticism always seemed more like trying to speak into existence Allen not being a franchise QB.

Some beat reporters overcompensate in the effort of trying to maintain a look of impartiality. Unfortunately, often times it’s obvious to anyone watching or listening and makes it difficult to consume the content.

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

....Or maybe he and his wife (who is from Buffalo) missed living in Buffalo more than they thought they would and didn't want to be away from the area any longer.

Fairburn's a good reporter. I always enjoyed his pieces and I never got an "anti-Allen" or "anti-Bills" whiff from him whatsoever. Glad he's back. To each their own.

• Agree 5

59 minutes ago, Logic said:

....Or maybe he and his wife (who is from Buffalo) missed living in Buffalo more than they thought they would and didn't want to be away from the area any longer.

Fairburn's a good reporter. I always enjoyed his pieces and I never got an "anti-Allen" or "anti-Bills" whiff from him whatsoever. Glad he's back. To each their own.

Disclaimer: Neither my joke about Matt Fairburn being a Patriot fan, or my criticism of his reporting of Josh Allen were meant to offend anyone.   Nor did I intend to make an assumption regarding the rationale of the Global Location of Mr. Fairburn, his family, his pets, his future Grandchild or his vehicles (henceforth known as MF's Toyota Sienna, Corolla, Honda CRV, Civic or other non-descript yet reliable family vehicles).  

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Same - I always appreciated even when he was a beat reporter from Syracuse he would try to find different angles for stories, and actually do the work to make calls and find people to interview for stories, instead of just rehashing quotes from PCs like so many guys do

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

What happened to Jon Vogl?  He stepped down from the Sabres beat, is still with the Athletic, but has not announced his role.  I’m guessing he’s working as an editor?

Got a promotion at the Athletic writing sports arena reviews.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

3 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Happy he's back. Also happy that in the year he was gone we had Ryan Talbot and Matt Parrino's pod really start growing. We've got some decent options for content now.

Yes I love all the Bills podcasts - great for workouts and yardwork 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

What happened to Jon Vogl?  He stepped down from the Sabres beat, is still with the Athletic, but has not announced his role.  I’m guessing he’s working as an editor?

If I recall he is staying with the Athletic in some capacity but never said what exactly.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.