Matthew Fairburn off to cover the Pats (update - he’s back)

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I thought it might be, but I was too dense to get it! 

Thanks

👍

6 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

It's simple.  Print journalism is either dying or being substantially reinvented.   The floodwaters are rising, and plenty of small-market hubs for journalistic activity have drowned.   The journalists are looking for higher ground, and in this case higher ground means larger markets.  The opportunity to cover a Boston-based team is simply a better chance for him to keep his career alive.   

In the cases of Marcel and Fairburn I think there some truth to this, but for both it seemed to more about leaving for better market/destination.

Marcel likely wanted to work  in South Florida over Buffalo and it sounds like Fairburn wanted to move back to the area he grew up and cover his hometown team

4 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

Idk. He wasn’t bad. And Buscaglia isn’t terrible either. But their pods were so dry. 

Personally I would take:

Joe Marino @ Locked on Bills

Greg Tompsett & the Cover 1 Team

Capaccio @ WGR

Parino & Talbot
The Rockpile Report Guys

Nate Geary

Bruce Nolan

all above Fairburn Or Buscaglia for that matter. And with those above each producing about 14-16 hours of weekly listening content each week, aside from what any of them write. I just don’t really have time for them. 

* Again, not saying Fairburn or Buscaglia are terrible by any means but we have a wealth of talent in Bills coverage. 

Bruce Nolan is criminally underrated.  He’s so much better than anyone on Buffalo Rumblings.  Hope he gets a bigger platform 

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

You can only hope it's Sully

That’s his hometown.  I’m sure he’d love it, but he’s too old.

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I also feel like the timing of these moves are weird. You would think these outlets would want them in place with covering  the new teams at least by TC to have the overall familiarity of the players, coaches etc 

He might be the new Ernie Adams!

I’m sure the fact both are already very familiar with the AFC East had something to do with their new assignments.

12 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What terrible timing by him.  He joins the Patriots as the dynasty has already ended.  He's leaving the Bills when their dynasty is starting.

Marino from Locked On Bills does it solo and does a good job.

Marino is great. Concise, objective ( is a fan, but doesn’t look at things with rose colored glasses on), and descriptive of how is evaluating a player or situation.  Honestly his shows during the season are a must listen, usually all are around 40 mins give or take.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

It's simple.  Print journalism is either dying or being substantially reinvented.   The floodwaters are rising, and plenty of small-market hubs for journalistic activity have drowned.   The journalists are looking for higher ground, and in this case higher ground means larger markets.  The opportunity to cover a Boston-based team is simply a better chance for him to keep his career alive.   

I don’t know.  Newspapers are dying, but MLJ and Fairburn work for digital platforms which is the present and future of journalism and seemingly everything else.

Keeping careers alive in that environment would mean diversification in skills, not necessarily market.   And you see both on podcasts, MLJ doing TV spots, etc.  covering other sports will be the next thing to add to their portfolio.  

Fairburn went home.  Being from Cali, MLJ was probably looking to get away from winter.  

18 hours ago, Rico said:

I’d sign up for Sully at the Athletic.

I think they generally prefer people who can write. 

16 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

Idk. He wasn’t bad. And Buscaglia isn’t terrible either. But their pods were so dry. 

Personally I would take:

Joe Marino @ Locked on Bills

Greg Tompsett & the Cover 1 Team

Capaccio @ WGR

Parino & Talbot
The Rockpile Report Guys

Nate Geary

Bruce Nolan

all above Fairburn Or Buscaglia for that matter. And with those above each producing about 14-16 hours of weekly listening content each week, aside from what any of them write. I just don’t really have time for them. 

* Again, not saying Fairburn or Buscaglia are terrible by any means but we have a wealth of talent in Bills coverage. 

I agree their pods are dry as hell and Joe irritates me. He always has. He gets these pet ideas in his head and then just bangs on about them. Isaiah Hodgins is his latest. He goes on about a PS level wide receiver more than anyone should. 

That said, Fairburn is an excellent writer. And I really mean excellent. The Athletic suits him because it allows journalists to write longer articles and that suits Matt's style because he is a methodical and analytical reporter. He manages to write at length without his writing becoming dry. 

I won't miss him on the podcast though haha.

Matthew Bové will be replacing Fairburn on the next Buffalo Beat podcast with Joe B... not sure if that is a permanent replacement or just for the Steelers game reaction episode.

EDIT: Bové is in for the post game reaction shows only going forward according to Joe B on the latest pod.

Edited by NI Bills Fan

2 hours ago, NI Bills Fan said:

Matthew Bové will be replacing Fairburn on the next Buffalo Beat podcast with Joe B... not sure if that is a permanent replacement or just for the Steelers game reaction episode.

EDIT: Bové is in for the post game reaction shows only going forward according to Joe B on the latest pod.

So will he be going solo otherwise?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.