My one hope for the beginning of this year

3 hours ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

I hope coach Mc D isn’t stuck on playing Addison and Hughes, specially game one against a questionable Steeler O-line. I hope he gives Rousseau and Epenensa ample playing time and not just sprinkle them in to stave off the oldies. I want to see the opposite which is a ton of the youngin’s with the oldies staving them off on occasion. I’m all in on Rousseau Epenensa and even Bashem, but I feel it won’t be till midseason before Mc D really let’s them see the field a lot unfortunately.

Another thing you might hope for is for our defense to get out of the less aggressive play style of walking back the OL into the QB vs. trying to get around the OL and hitting the QB.... I mean, you have to mix things up and guard against screens and draws and the like, but veteran QBs can eat that gap control defense right up.....

It'll be interesting to see what the DL does this Sunday....

Only four days away!

4 hours ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

I hope coach Mc D isn’t stuck on playing Addison and Hughes, specially game one against a questionable Steeler O-line. I hope he gives Rousseau and Epenensa ample playing time and not just sprinkle them in to stave off the oldies. I want to see the opposite which is a ton of the youngin’s with the oldies staving them off on occasion. I’m all in on Rousseau Epenensa and even Bashem, but I feel it won’t be till midseason before Mc D really let’s them see the field a lot unfortunately.

Rousseau and Epenesa are gonna be part of the rotation and my guess is 40% of the snaps for Epenesa and at least 50% for Rousseau. 

4 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I’m thinking he’ll get the majority of snaps.  He’s been their best pass rusher and they aren’t going to hold him back just because he’s a rookie

Really really doubt that. Especially early in the year I don't see him getting anywhere near a majority.

I guess we'll see.

11 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

If Emmanuel is anything like me his physical traits have changed over the last 10 years.

I could be mistaken but I think pro-football players are a bit different.

13 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

I thought McDermott was going away from the rotation Idea...

With 11 DLmen?  Why did you think that?

• Haha (+1) 2

I think McD is smart enough to roll with the hot hand. We will see the youngsters flying if they play mistake free and aren't caught out of position. Other than getting to the QB, they need to be able to contain the edge and stop the run. Addison and Hughes may not get there all the time, but they also don't get fooled and caught out of position for big plays. They know the D well and play within their role in it. 

If the kids can do the same and get to the QB quicker, then I am sure we will see more of them. BTW I love Groot! This kid will be a gamer for us and make a lot of big plays.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

I think McD is smart enough to roll with the hot hand. We will see the youngsters flying if they play mistake free and aren't caught out of position. Other than getting to the QB, they need to be able to contain the edge and stop the run. Addison and Hughes may not get there all the time, but they also don't get fooled and caught out of position for big plays. They know the D well and play within their role in it. 

If the kids can do the same and get to the QB quicker, then I am sure we will see more of them. BTW I love Groot! This kid will be a gamer for us and make a lot of big plays.

Honestly, it depends.  I certainly expect to see GROOT, a little of Boogie (maybe, but I wouldn’t bet on it), AJ for sure now that he has his power back (love that Iowa punch move is back), and possibly our Nigerian Nightmare (man I hope Efe does well not just because of the story, but his raw athleticism).  I still think Hughes especially and Addison will be in there, but I bet they are limited.  The neat thing is Obada, GROOT, and Boogie, can be moved inside based on the situation.  That Pitt new line with two rookies are in for a long day.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Strange choice for a One Hope.

I just want us to WIN, second, I want us to play solid in all 3 phases.

As long as we win, I don't care who plays.

Just remember Sanders was a Steeler for 4 seasons with Big Ben as his QB and Tomlin as his HC.

Possible the Steelers may have some info on physical traits and tendencies

They have at least 135 on Diggs/Allen ;)

I think they will have a hard time stopping this offense there are just too many weapons and a great mobile QB with a cannon :)

16 hours ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

This smacks of assuming a win.  It’s a mentality I doubt the players have.  This is a game the Bills absolutely should win, but the Steelers aren’t pushovers.  Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

My main worry is if the refs allow a lot of holding by the OLs - or more specifically the Steelers OL.  That would even up what should be our most significant advantage.  The other big open question is Rapistberger’s arm.  If he’s not back to form, then this shouldn’t be a game anyway.  

6 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

From SEP 15th 2020??? lol, this was about 1 month ago on One Bills Live.

Ha! I didn't even look at the date when I posted it. My apologies for that.

Be that as it may, I have to assume that you misheard the broadcast. I've been looking all over for some reference to moving away from the D-line rotation, and I haven't found anything to suggest that would be the plan. And, while I haven't found anything specifically mentioning the rotation, I have found some reports that would tend to contradict the concept, like this from Maddy Glab :

"Bills general manager Brandon Beane explained the decision to keep 11 defensive linemen on the roster is because of the way they want to rush the quarterback this season. McDermott likes the fact that it's a stacked group, but he's ready to see them do their job."

And this from Chris Brown (a couple weeks ago, this time): 

"The Bills made their pass rush a major priority in the offseason, and it was again reflected in their choices for their 53-man roster. Buffalo kept six defensive ends on their squad, including their top two draft choices in Greg Rousseau and Boogie Basham. They additionally kept free agent signee Efe Obada to go with their 2020 core of Mario Addison, Jerry Hughes and A.J. Epenesa. Buffalo's defensive line carried the most players on the entire roster with 11 total, six defensive ends and five defensive tackles."

One would wonder also, if hey were going to back away from their D-line rotation, what does that mean? Do they increase Hughes, and Addison's snap count? They each had around 55% of defensive snaps last season. I would assume their snap count goes down this season. I think if there were plans to dial back the rotation, it's something that would be getting talked about a lot more.

16 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Chris said something to the effect "Fans should expect to see Hughes get more snaps and less rotation, as the Bills want their best players on the field for more plays as opposed to resting". From what I recall, he said this after the draft...

I hope he's wrong.

19 hours ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

They'll get snaps but it's a rotation. A fresh Hughes and a fired up Addison looking to change perception after underachieving is also something to look forward to. All in all the Bills front vs the Pitt O-line is a mismatch on paper. Big Ben should be ready for punishment. 

20 hours ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

I still predict that Addison is essentially going to become this years Trent Murphy by midseason in that his snaps will gradually decline and eventually be inactive every week in favor of the younger talent.

But I wouldn't be surprised if he does get a lot of snaps this week, albeit in rotation.