Sir Charles, Canelo and Sean McDermott? Bills coach stays himself even amid spotlight

YoloinOhio

Great Article and thanks for sharing.

I honestly enjoy reading/watching more of the personal side of these men we watch on gameday.

It makes me not get too caught up in the win/loss side of things.  Like just watch and enjoy and if they fail, hope they learn from it and do better next time. 

5 minutes ago, CuseBill said:

How can you not love this guy?  When the worst criticism anyone can come up with is that he claps too much, you know we have someone special.

Easy when you win. I remember the great annoyance over his clapping and "the process" when he got here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Easy when you win. I remember the great annoyance over his clapping and "the process" when he got here.

Yeah, cause Bills fans with BBFS don't get that clapping after a bad play is a way to recenter and focus on the next one.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

Yeah, cause Bills fans with BBFS don't get that clapping after a bad play is a way to recenter and focus on the next one.

McD's clapping never bothered me, but for some, it may conjure up memories of the Jauron era.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

It was a small minority of fans who were honestly annoyed by that. The rest just had fun with it.

Regarding the article, we see once again McD say "if you're wired the right way..."

I think the real question I haven't seen asked is how you get wired the right way. How was he wired? What does he look for in other people to determine how they're wired? What methods does he know of or subscribe to for changing that wiring?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CaliBills said:

Great Article and thanks for sharing.

I honestly enjoy reading/watching more of the personal side of these men we watch on gameday.

It makes me not get too caught up in the win/loss side of things.  Like just watch and enjoy and if they fail, hope they learn from it and do better next time. 

That’s awfully mature and levelheaded of you.  Are you sure you are in the right place? 

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Great find, thanks Yolo!

This caught my eye:

“After a game, my dad will leave a message, ‘Hey, we got to talk,” McDermott said. “We could win 28-7, and he’s got three things you've got to get better at each week. He was a coach. That's how it is.”

Sounds like the "humble and hungry" message came up through his family roots

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Regarding the article, we see once again McD say "if you're wired the right way..."

I think the real question I haven't seen asked is how you get wired the right way. How was he wired? What does he look for in other people to determine how they're wired? What methods does he know of or subscribe to for changing that wiring?

See above.  It sounds like McD's family surroundings were loving and respectful, but giving the strong message that you're always striving to improve

I would guess that's the message he tries to give to the coaches and the team - we care about you as people, we see your potential as players, now here's 3 things you've got to get better at each week, "don't leave until it's right"

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

It was a small minority of fans who were honestly annoyed by that. The rest just had fun with it.

You just have to match the respective colored ends of the wires.

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I love these questions.   I'd guess it's a combination of nature and nurture.   

One article about him a few years ago said all the way through high school he was the way his now, so it started sometime before he was 15. 

Maybe the first time the Bills under McDermott played the Steelers, there was an article about how he and Tomlin played together in college.   Tomlin said in college he just kept wondering who this kid was who relentlessly did his very best and almost always the right thing, play after play after play.  He sort of said he hated going one-on-one with McDermott, even though Tomlin apparently was the more talented athlete, because he knew he was in a fight every play.   

It's no accident McDermott was a wrestler.  

Long but entertaining read.

One thing that stuck out for me, "“I learned from Andy Reid that the No. 1 job of a head coach in press conferences is not to create distraction for his team".  Isnt that something, and who did he follow, that blowhard Rex Ryan.  I swear Rex would prepare for hours with some of his little "comedy skits" for some of those press conferences. Rex was a master at creating distractions for his team at press conferences.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I love these questions.   I'd guess it's a combination of nature and nurture.   

One article about him a few years ago said all the way through high school he was the way his now, so it started sometime before he was 15. 

Maybe the first time the Bills under McDermott played the Steelers, there was an article about how he and Tomlin played together in college.   Tomlin said in college he just kept wondering who this kid was who relentlessly did his very best and almost always the right thing, play after play after play.  He sort of said he hated going one-on-one with McDermott, even though Tomlin apparently was the more talented athlete, because he knew he was in a fight every play.   

It's no accident McDermott was a wrestler.  

Yep.

I'll add that McDermott recognizes there are different ways to becoming wired that way and there are different wiring combinations that also work.

We often hear that McDermott just wants "choir boys" and values culture over talent, but that's not entirely true.

14 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Yep.

I'll add that McDermott recognizes there are different ways to becoming wired that way and there are different wiring combinations that also work.

We often hear that McDermott just wants "choir boys" and values culture over talent, but that's not entirely true.

Yeah.  I liked him from his press conference, but I had no idea he'd be like this.  He could be on his way to being the greatest coach of all time. 

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah.  I liked him from his press conference, but I had no idea he'd be like this.  He could be on his way to being the greatest coach of all time. 

He's not Jauron or Marrone or Rex. He actually values an explosive offense. A lot of people just put him in the "defensive-minded coach" box when he first came here. "Why are we hiring a defensive guy when this is an offensive league and all the brightest newcomers are offensive gurus?!" "This guy's quiet and just claps at everything!"

Building this offense was always part of the process of growing and continuing to get better as a team and as a coach.

McDermott looks around the room and sees Timberlake, Canelo, Theismann, Barkley and he sees 4 different wiring combinations that all worked.

Maybe all the wire colors match and my appliance works perfectly from the get-go or maybe all I need to do is switch the blue and red wire in order for it to function the way I want.

Maybe he recognizes this player had an ideal upbringing and that'll work. But maybe he sees that this other player overcame an unstable upbringing and that will also work.

A question they ask the players at the combine is "would you rather be known as smart or tough?" Neither answer is wrong because both of those wires are needed. But the answer helps them determine if that wire is connected, or is it just dangling.

I want to use Ed Oliver as an example. He's super talented, and I think they saw his wiring and recognized they just needed to switch a couple around. In their "Embedded Bills" special, they said they wanted players who took accountability for what happened on each play. The next scene showed Ed Oliver saying no one could block him. The scene after that showed one of the coaches showing Ed some film and basically saying "well, this guy blocked you right here. This is on film" and Ed got a little defensive. It's still to be determined if their re-wiring of Ed has worked.