Team values: Woohoo, we're not last!

PromoTheRobot

After I retired, I went back to finish my business degree and there were several courses that met the requirement for sports management and business management. I took the sports manager courses obviously. they made it clear that franchises balance two imperatives, profit and success. It was rare you got both.

25 minutes ago, Coastie said:

After I retired, I went back to finish my business degree and there were several courses that met the requirement for sports management and business management. I took the sports manager courses obviously. they made it clear that franchises balance two imperatives, profit and success. It was rare you got both.

Someone once posted an article on the BBMB where someone studied the NFL and had pretty solid data that you can either maximize profit or maximize winning, but there weren't any teams that did both.   And I think it was data from the salary cap era, so all the teams were spending more or less the same on payroll.   There were some teams that were occasionally in the playoffs but hadn't won a Super Bowl, and they were the most profitable teams. 

14 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Couple of things.

Milwaukee counts in their market, which isnt much bigger than Buffalo but it's not just the Green Bay area that is counted. Heck, they even get some of the Chicago market.

Plus, brand value comes into play as well. The history and championships do mean something. It's a big part of what makes the Cowboys the most valuable team, and why Jerry Jones will always volunteer for Hard Knocks (keeping that brand in the spotlight, any spotlight). I mean, the Championship trophy is named after Green Bay's old coach. There is big brand value there compared to the Bills.

Milwaukee is 3-4 hours away.  If Milwaukee counts for Green Bay, Toronto should count for the Bills.  Now that it looks like the Bills will be good for a while it’s time to market heavy in Toronto if they haven’t been. Winning creates fans and corporate interest.

Milwaukee is over 500,000 people in the city itself.   When I visited it was scary how much many parts of the city reminded me of Buffalo.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1