New WGR lineup

YoloinOhio

34 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Sal got a  caller today asking if they should play Trubisky against Miami, and suddenly my life as a bills fan feels normal again.

Jim was at least willing to give Allen the first half against Miami before putting Mitch in. His justification oddly had something to do with Lou Saban. It was a historically bad take. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think the Extra Point show has been great.

I'm out of market, Listening to WGR reminds me of home and helps to keep me connected to Buffalo.  There's a lot of fluff, but honestly I'm okay with most of the time.  It's background noise while I work.  

So I tuned into 5 minutes of Howard and Jeremy this morning, it’s still the exact same show they’ve done for 4-years now:

1. Howard - I don’t need them to run the ball more.

2. Jeremy - Any punt is a turnover

3. Jeremy - Stupid golf analogy

4. Jeremy - Makes a Sigh noise, just have to breathe (right out of his daily playbook). 

And that all the patience I had for that show and turned it off.

• Haha (+1) 2

On 9/11/2021 at 9:48 PM, purple haze said:

It seems they just try to fill up time, which is understandable, but here’s the thing: if there’s no Bills/Sabres news what about other teams or other sports?   People taking time to listen to a sports radio show probably like sports, in general, and would prefer a discussion around various teams/sports if paired with the right guests, instead of various “drafts” of films and foods, etc. 

The reason this doesn’t happen is two-fold and one feeds the other.

1. Neither host actually studies the league. They don’t prepare for the show, they don’t do actual research. 

2. Because 1. is true, they then resort to talking about their day, which includes Failed Bills QB cereals, omelet discussions, COVID policies.

• Like (+1) 2

• 3 months later...
8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Brayton Wilson is heading to WBEN.  

There's now a Producer opening.  Which one of you have a radio voice and can talk somewhat intelligently?

Bring back Greg Bauch!  He was the glue and wit that made Shtupp and the Bulldog listenable in his era.  His 'Greg Buck' character was good; it's regrettable that you can no longer find the 'Tim Tebow' routine online.  Unfortunately, a cart boy at the supermarket probably earns more than the producer position pays.

• Vomit 1

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Bring back Greg Bauch!  He was the glue and wit that made Shtupp and the Bulldog listenable in his era.  His 'Greg Buck' character was good; it's regrettable that you can no longer find the 'Tim Tebow' routine online.  Unfortunately, a cart boy at the supermarket probably earns more than the producer position pays.

They have a tradition of having sharp, young, funny kids working for peanuts as the producer of their show.  Invariably, they leave after a fairly short time to find more money or get a better job.

I tend to like all of them.  The last kid they had was one of my favorites, but the "new" guy Sneaky Joe is good as well.  They're young and don't have the breadth of knowledge to put things in perspective, but they are sharp and definitely know the current sports scene.

The more they talk, the more I tend to enjoy S&B.

As a total aside, and something I have been paying a lot of attention to lately:  make note of how long Schopp can go without making a reference to gambling in some way.  It's about 5 minutes.

The guy is obsessed with gambling, sports betting, fantasy leagues, etc.

I'd love to know how much he loses a year.  I can't stand any of that talk, and when he really gets revved up telling us about his fantasy football lineup (I literally can't imagine anyone in the world caring about that but Schopp) I tend to tune out, or shut it off.

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

They have a tradition of having sharp, young, funny kids working for peanuts as the producer of their show.  Invariably, they leave after a fairly short time to find more money or get a better job.

I tend to like all of them.  The last kid they had was one of my favorites, but the "new" guy Sneaky Joe is good as well.  They're young and don't have the breadth of knowledge to put things in perspective, but they are sharp and definitely know the current sports scene.

The more they talk, the more I tend to enjoy S&B.

As a total aside, and something I have been paying a lot of attention to lately:  make note of how long Schopp can go without making a reference to gambling in some way.  It's about 5 minutes.

The guy is obsessed with gambling, sports betting, fantasy leagues, etc.

I'd love to know how much he loses a year.  I can't stand any of that talk, and when he really gets revved up telling us about his fantasy football lineup (I literally can't imagine anyone in the world caring about that but Schopp) I tend to tune out, or shut it off.

Buffalo State Comm majors.

18 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Buffalo State Comm majors.

Yep; lots of them went to Buff state.  Bulldog did, Howard Simon.  That's Buffalo for you!  

I think Schopp went to St. John Fisher in Rochester.  

The kids Schopp and Bulldog get are some of the sharpest people at the station--way sharper than Jeremy White or stammering Bulldog, for example.  

I'm not quite sure how he keeps a job, given his difficulties in communicating verbally.

They do have 4 hours to kill each day and he has a habit of taking 5 minutes to convey 20 seconds of thought...so maybe that's a good thing.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Yep; lots of them went to Buff state.  Bulldog did, Howard Simon.  That's Buffalo for you!  

I think Schopp went to St. John Fisher in Rochester.  

The kids Schopp and Bulldog get are some of the sharpest people at the station--way sharper than Jeremy White or stammering Bulldog, for example.  

I'm not quite sure how he keeps a job, given his difficulties in communicating verbally.

They do have 4 hours to kill each day and he has a habit of taking 5 minutes to convey 20 seconds of thought...so maybe that's a good thing.

Inertia. Doing a job forever with little or no competition.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.