New WGR lineup

YoloinOhio

On 9/8/2021 at 11:08 AM, May Day 10 said:

It is clear Bulldog doesnt do anything at all to prep for a show.  He doesnt bring any real knowledge to the show outside of being a long time Buffalo sports fan, and rests on that for like 25 years.  He doesnt really improve as a broadcaster.  I do not feel like he is entertaining in any way either.  It seems like he just tries to say whatever he thinks will please Schopp.

At least Schopp has an interest in the subject matter and has expertise in all the fantasy/gambling stuff and does research.  He is also an actual broadcaster so his delivery has tact to it.   

That stuff gets boring, and annoying how every topic seemingly gets veered into some sort of prop bet talk or fantasy draft talk.  

In all, that show is incredibly stale.  It is clear that both of them have checked out on the Sabres years ago.  Bulldog cant talk about his kid's stupid hockey thing the whole show, and Schopp cant talk much about baseball, strat o matic, and tennis.  They can lean on "how excited are you for the Bills?!  Call in now, a line is open" I guess.  At least until the media finds some sort of 'trouble in paradise' topic to beat to death

I wonder what would happen if they mixed it up and put White with Bulldog and Simon with Schopp.

I do like the Dibiase kid.  A fresh voice.  Hungry to try to find content and things to talk about, people to interview, etc.  You put people together in one time slot for too long, it seems to just get redundant.

This a great post. 

In general, this is why I have defended Schopp in the past.

He does the bulk of the thinking, he sets the table on topics, he's the one who brings theories to the show (don't punt, throw the ball more, culture is overrated, Special Teams is overrated), so even if you disagree, at least Schopp's opinion sets the stage for discussion. 

Since COVID, Bulldog's biggest contribution to the show on a daily basis is to tell you he's safely locked into his attic, hasn't been to the station in a year and a half, and to generally, play up his martyr status as a COVID preacher, again wherever you fall on the topic. 

Where Schopp grates on me is the constant waste of time segments. The day he spent 30-minutes straight talking about Lando Calrissian from Star Wars, or the Tootsie movie discussion, him taking the show opens and making a conversation about that, how he spends his days wandering around the house while his wife and kids are gone. 

There are many segments (especially the 51 minute mark to the top of the hour) where the goal is to waste time. 

I agree with you, Bulldog does not prep or research for the show. Outside of the narrow Bills lane he lives in, you're getting 10,000 feet analysis on any other team.  

The worst at non-prep is Howard Simon. Because on top of not prepping for the show, you get the constant I'm old, I'm fat, I'm too lazy to workout statements. You get the never tried a strawberry, never tried a watermelon, never tried peanut butter stories and tries to play them off as normal. From that I gather he eats like a 5-year old, hot dogs, chicken nuggets, fries, soda, doughnuts. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 4

6 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

The ultimate time management hack might be eschewing live radio programs in favor of the commercial-free replay/podcast version at 2x speed. You end up taking in 3 hours of radio in less than an hour.

Since the European General Data Protection Regulation the option to live stream WGR (without setting up a VPN to get around it which I can't be bothered to do) has been taken away for me. So I only ever listen to the podcast versions... normally when commuting or working out. 

• Shocked 1

On 9/9/2021 at 12:42 PM, SCBills said:

Sal & Joe have been great so far.  

I haven’t really been able to listen yet. I only caught the McDermott interview earlier. I generally like both of them though in general 

On 9/9/2021 at 12:42 PM, SCBills said:

Sal & Joe have been great so far.  

I haven’t really been able to listen yet. I only caught the McDermott interview earlier. I generally like both of them though in general 

In the long history of sports talk Buffalo we had some great story tellers. Schoop ain't one of them. Bulldog 25 years ago had the chance, but got lazy and Schoop, and he is not energetic enough.

He is no Stan Barron, or Art Wanderer (Arty baby, the tiny talk of the kilowatt.). They talked sports with flair and perspective. Arty could talk about players girl friends when the night was quiet.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Stads said:

They are currently 20 minutes deep into Schopp's experience at the Bellagio buffet

They don't care. Can't be more obvious. Especially this week with idk....the season opener in less than 48 hours. With a team that has SB aspirations. But hey, forget all that, let's talk about a buffet. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Stads said:

They are currently 20 minutes deep into Schopp's experience at the Bellagio buffet

I know there are SOME people who say they like the casual talk...I get that, but just how many?

Don't they get that people, a LOT of people, actually turn off the station when they do that. As others have said, we are only a couple days from the HOME OPENER and you hear about what he likes in his personal life, him bragging about how many fantasy teams he is managing, etc.    It is beyond annoying, it is bordering on embarrassing for a Buffalo sports talk station days before the Bills opener and a few weeks before Sabres camp opens.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/7/2021 at 8:20 AM, BillsVet said:

Mike comes off as a guy who's bored with life and the show.  He retreats into analytics and, as a result, betting to spice things up.  For whatever reason, he sounds like someone winging it and doesn't care.  I tire of hearing him simplify everything down to metrics when the human component to sports is always in play.  

Another thing I've noticed...I tuned in a few weeks ago after something Sabres related had happened only for him to talk 10-15 minutes about an experience at the vending machine.  What program director or station manager listens to that and doesn't make a point of ending the incessant banter about nothing. 

The afternoon show needs some energy, but they won't alter their hosts because there's no competition.     

He doesn’t seem interested in the actual game.  He seems more enthusiastic about things that are ancillary to the game.   I just lose interest.  I like Bulldog when he’s by himself or with a different co-host.  

• Like (+1) 1

Guys:

I don’t know why, but I keep coming back to this thread and it’s overwhelming the afternoon show is horrible.  I said that a few pages ago.  Just pull the trigger and get Sirius if you don’t have it, amd listen when in the car to Movin the Chains in the afternoons from 3-7.  You’ll never be disappointed.  Full disclaimer, I do not work for Sirius, I just love the show and call in from time to time.   They have the Bills as they made their predictions Friday at 12-5, winning the division, and contending for the SB.  They did place the Pats as a maybe for 11-5 if Mac progresses well this year.  GB, you’ll like this with Miami at 9-8, and the Jets at 2-15.

I used to try and listen to the afternoon show, but they are sloppy, don’t prepare, go off on tangents no one cares about, and can be costic to callers if you don’t agree with every last thing they say.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 2

I look forward to listening to sal, he's great imo. Glad one Bills live has been shortened,  terrible show.

I don't want to dump on tasker again but I watched a segment today where Cosell was on and hearing tasker trying to push a question out like a constipated man struggling to take a ***** is painful. I feel bad for the guy because it's obviously down to all those hits he took and dished out.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, purple haze said:

He doesn’t seem interested in the actual game.  He seems more enthusiastic about things that are ancillary to the game.   I just lose interest.  I like Bulldog when he’s by himself or with a different co-host.  

Agreed. Alone Bulldog is tolerable. Maybe more than that. Hes not exactly 'smooth' but he is interesting enough to listen to. Schopp is the opposite.  He has a good radio voice.  He is smooth, he has almost all the qualities you want in a talk show host except for the most important one.  The problem is he is slightly annoying and just doesn't talk about sports.

In a perfect world someone sits him down and says tells him to focus more on sports. less about his personal life.  Get to sports right at the show starts.  Many of us don't care about is 14 different fantasy teams.  But WGR had years to tell him that and apparently they don't/wont. Their ratings may be good but they can be SO much better, as many of us get frustrated and just turn to sirius/XM channels or 590 out of Toronto instead.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Talking of WGR callers... anyone hear Al on hour 3 of Schopp and Bulldog yesterday? 

Al called up to say we should cut Sanders and nobody is talking about Gabe Davis. Cheers Al. He must have started early.

Definitely don’t cut Sanders, but I am rooting for Davis to seize more opportunities.

He has shown a knack for getting into the end zone and potentially gives Allen a deeper average target.

I think he has it in him to break out of the second fiddle role and start taking snaps from Beasley and Sanders.

I am rooting for that organic growth of Davis.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/10/2021 at 4:49 PM, Stads said:

Heard it.

Breaking down merits of waiting in the omelet line verses heat-lamp eggs.

Mike’s plate for all those interested was:

Pizza

Scrambled Eggs

Salted Salmon

Macaroni and Cheese with Bacon

(and mentioned nothing green or healthy)

You gotta love eating that heavy and no mention of working out. It’s like people telling you that story want you to clap for the unhealthy-ness of it.

Just load up on that and watch football and fantasy draft all weekend. 

6 minutes ago, TDO'Kearney said:

Backcheck, forecheck, PAYcheck, Rivs.

That’s how the game is played.

Or immense skill that leads to goal scoring.

12 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Agreed. Alone Bulldog is tolerable. Maybe more than that. Hes not exactly 'smooth' but he is interesting enough to listen to. Schopp is the opposite.  He has a good radio voice.  He is smooth, he has almost all the qualities you want in a talk show host except for the most important one.  The problem is he is slightly annoying and just doesn't talk about sports.

In a perfect world someone sits him down and says tells him to focus more on sports. less about his personal life.  Get to sports right at the show starts.  Many of us don't care about is 14 different fantasy teams.  But WGR had years to tell him that and apparently they don't/wont. Their ratings may be good but they can be SO much better, as many of us get frustrated and just turn to sirius/XM channels or 590 out of Toronto instead.

It seems they just try to fill up time, which is understandable, but here’s the thing: if there’s no Bills/Sabres news what about other teams or other sports?   People taking time to listen to a sports radio show probably like sports, in general, and would prefer a discussion around various teams/sports if paired with the right guests, instead of various “drafts” of films and foods, etc. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 9/10/2021 at 8:48 AM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

The ultimate time management hack might be eschewing live radio programs in favor of the commercial-free replay/podcast version at 2x speed. You end up taking in 3 hours of radio in less than an hour.

I stream the Sal segments if nothing else.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.