New WGR lineup

YoloinOhio

9 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Bulldog is out there drowning in a pool of his own saliva and lack of English skills right now, alone on the afternoon show.

As a fan of The Doors I find Bulldog's stutter/stammer combo has familiar cadence:

I-I-I

We-we-we

You-you-you

It-it-it

Break on thru to the other side!   Break on thru.......Bulldawwwwwwwwg!

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

Question: How does Mike Schopp take a vacation on the week of the opening day? I am not saying that I will miss him, just saying, how? This is his career!! 

You’re first problem is you listen to WGR between 3-7pm.  I refuse to listen to those idiots.  Besides I have Sirius and would much rather listen to Movin the Chains.  When I’m in the car, I enjoy the other shows.  I’m just shocked those afternoon guys are still there.  I’ve never heard anyone tell me they like or respect those two.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

15 hours ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

I feel for Bulldog in that mess; Schopp is a mess who gave up years ago.  

I'm thrilled for Sal; he puts the work in and is star in the making.

I feel the same way in that it showed yesterday Sal and Joe put a lot of work into their content, and really encourage dialogue with the callers.  Some of the best shows have some guests and topics, but more importantly they engage with the listeners.  They may disagree with the callers, but I’ve found those two to be respectful of differing POV.  Juxtapose that with Coach Weiss on Sirius.  He’s such a tool.

• Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, Estro said:

That said, don't get me started on Nate Geary. That kid needs to learn to listen and not overtalk everybody he's on air with. He's the one at WGR that I can't really listen to.....hes got that car salesmen delivery with an air of pretentiousness.

I struggle with Nate too. When him and Sneaky Joe are on together I often feel like Joe has more value to add and Nate just wants to railroad his viewpoint across and cuts him off.

9 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I hadn’t noticed that, but I can say with confidence that the Audacy app is equally as terrible as the radio dot com app that preceded it. 

The crackle makes the show unlistenable. It's only that show, and only on the app. Multiple devices, multiple setups. Whenever they raise their voices (which they do a lot) it "pops". So weird.

• Agree 1

I don't get the Bulldog hate.  It is pretty clear that Schopp is the lead dog on the show and his inane fantasy ramblings and something akin to really weak Larry David schtick for 3 hours after his 40 minute "let's do this on the fly and see what sticks to the wall" starts don't leave much left for Chris.  If you were to put, for example, Bulldog and Jeremy together, I believe it could generate some interesting content.  Unfortunately, Schopp's arrogance and apathy send this into oblivion.  I'm glad Joe is escaping this vortex...

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I struggle with Nate too. When him and Sneaky Joe are on together I often feel like Joe has more value to add and Nate just wants to railroad his viewpoint across and cuts him off.

I couldn't agree more.  He is a Schopp in the making...

Edited by N.Y. Orangeman

2 minutes ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

I don't get the Bulldog hate.  It is pretty clear that Schopp is the lead dog on the show and his inane fantasy ramblings and something akin to really weak Larry David schtick for 3 hours after his 40 minute "let's do this on the fly and see what sticks to the wall" starts don't leave much left for Chris.  If you were to put, for example, Bulldog and Jeremy together, I believe it could generate some interesting content.  Unfortunately, Schopp's arrogance and apathy send this into oblivion.  I'm glad Joe is escaping this vortex...

I couldn't agree more.  He is a Schopp in the making...

It is clear Bulldog doesnt do anything at all to prep for a show.  He doesnt bring any real knowledge to the show outside of being a long time Buffalo sports fan, and rests on that for like 25 years.  He doesnt really improve as a broadcaster.  I do not feel like he is entertaining in any way either.  It seems like he just tries to say whatever he thinks will please Schopp.

At least Schopp has an interest in the subject matter and has expertise in all the fantasy/gambling stuff and does research.  He is also an actual broadcaster so his delivery has tact to it.   

That stuff gets boring, and annoying how every topic seemingly gets veered into some sort of prop bet talk or fantasy draft talk.  

In all, that show is incredibly stale.  It is clear that both of them have checked out on the Sabres years ago.  Bulldog cant talk about his kid's stupid hockey thing the whole show, and Schopp cant talk much about baseball, strat o matic, and tennis.  They can lean on "how excited are you for the Bills?!  Call in now, a line is open" I guess.  At least until the media finds some sort of 'trouble in paradise' topic to beat to death

I wonder what would happen if they mixed it up and put White with Bulldog and Simon with Schopp.

I do like the Dibiase kid.  A fresh voice.  Hungry to try to find content and things to talk about, people to interview, etc.  You put people together in one time slot for too long, it seems to just get redundant.

• Awesome! (+1) 3

12 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

You’re first problem is you listen to WGR between 3-7pm.  I refuse to listen to those idiots.  Besides I have Sirius and would much rather listen to Movin the Chains.  When I’m in the car, I enjoy the other shows.  I’m just shocked those afternoon guys are still there.  I’ve never heard anyone tell me they like or respect those two.

😂😂  You're right. But truth be told, I rarely listen to them. Sometimes when I get bored, I try it. Then their conversations get so mundane. All I want now is football talk. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

It is clear Bulldog doesnt do anything at all to prep for a show.  He doesnt bring any real knowledge to the show outside of being a long time Buffalo sports fan, and rests on that for like 25 years.  He doesnt really improve as a broadcaster.  I do not feel like he is entertaining in any way either.  It seems like he just tries to say whatever he thinks will please Schopp.

At least Schopp has an interest in the subject matter and has expertise in all the fantasy/gambling stuff and does research.  He is also an actual broadcaster so his delivery has tact to it.   

That stuff gets boring, and annoying how every topic seemingly gets veered into some sort of prop bet talk or fantasy draft talk.  

In all, that show is incredibly stale.  It is clear that both of them have checked out on the Sabres years ago.  Bulldog cant talk about his kid's stupid hockey thing the whole show, and Schopp cant talk much about baseball, strat o matic, and tennis.  They can lean on "how excited are you for the Bills?!  Call in now, a line is open" I guess.  At least until the media finds some sort of 'trouble in paradise' topic to beat to death

I wonder what would happen if they mixed it up and put White with Bulldog and Simon with Schopp.

I do like the Dibiase kid.  A fresh voice.  Hungry to try to find content and things to talk about, people to interview, etc.  You put people together in one time slot for too long, it seems to just get redundant.

I'm not sure if Bulldog is just constantly caught totally off-guard about every possible topic and can't formulate a thought in real-time or if he just learned somewhere that stammering added weight to his takes.........or both.

He makes Schopp look like a first team All Pro broadcaster by comparison.

They should definitely shake it up in drive time and postgame.......those two have ran their course together, IMO.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

100%....thats exactly the same thing I noticed. Hes always overtalks whoever he's on with & is just cheesy. 

Schopp seems like a guy you want to like and even can be cool to hang out with, but then for no good reason will just be a jerk. 

Outside of sports, I also think he and I would not agree on anything and would be the opposite (I'm pretty sure he swings hard in one direction in politics). I don't mind separate viewpoints/thoughts. However I think he values his opinions and views as superior to yours if you disagree with him.

I try to like him, but some days he makes it really hard. 

I'm super excited about Sal having a weekly show. I think I'll just listen to his show when driving home instead of listening live to WGR. Maybe with the app keeping track of hits and views to the on demand stuff, it will prompt some changes if his show gets the most hits eventually!

Edited by letsgoteam

On 9/8/2021 at 11:08 AM, May Day 10 said:

Fair on Bulldog (though I find some of his points interesting), but as the lead host, I think the impetus is on Schopp.  He shows up, does a "who am I? why am I here" bit for 30 minutes and then launches into fantasy and gambling for hours (which are done in a random, personalized manner that means nothing to the listener), intermixed with whatever pops into his head.   He also does little to no prep on his interview IMO.   The height of his arrogance is on display when he asks every guest "do you have any questions for me?" .

I like the idea of shaking up hosts if they are pinned in with contracts, though the thought of Simon's dad joke schtick with Schopp is dreadful.  At least it could make for better interviews, which is Simon's strong point IMO.

The Sal/Joe show is the star of the bunch so far, though I'd hate to lose Sal on the sideline if he advances.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.