New WGR lineup

YoloinOhio

29 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

When was the Beane interview? I'd like to go back and listen to it. I must have missed it.

The day after cut downs. 

2 minutes ago, BTB said:

This ^.   No interest in a  variety of guests.  For years, it’s been a steady diet of Paul Hamilton, Sal, John Clayton, rinse and repeat. Oh, and some fantasy dork.  I’ve heard some of the young guns on the weekend, and they have had more variety in one show than Schoop has in a year.  Except for ***** canning Brad Riter off the evening show a while back, the Fab Four have remained constant. 

John Clayton is awful. He is comedy value. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

Question: How does Mike Schopp take a vacation on the week of the opening day? I am not saying that I will miss him, just saying, how? This is his career!! 

It depends on whether this is a ratings period.  They usually can’t go on vacation during what’s called a “book.”  Not sure if fall book has started yet.  If it hasn’t, then it’s actually best for him to go now.  And, in any event, I think he’s at some fantasy sports nonsense this week.  So maybe they let him go even if they are in a book. 

5 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Bulldog is out there drowning in a pool of his own saliva and lack of English skills right now, alone on the afternoon show.

Dude, Bulldog is amazing right now.

5 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Bulldog is out there drowning in a pool of his own saliva and lack of English skills right now, alone on the afternoon show.

Dude, Bulldog is amazing right now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

To me, nobody is going through the motions more than "Bulldog".  He brings absolutely zero to the table.  He doesnt try to bring anything to the table.  Goes up into the attic at 3 sometimes and puts in his 3 hours or whatever of winging it.

Hearing him when he is alone is uncomfortable.  He just stammers around and cannot carry a show.

Absolutely and Amen brother.

Every chance he gets it’s a martyr story about him being extra careful with COVID, or how he just now figured out how to self checkout at the grocery store, or like you said, being in his attic for a year and half. 

He is just like Howard Simon. He wakes up about 1 minute before the show starts and has Mike set the table and discussion points.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 2

Fr a non-WNY perspective: I was not local for 25 yrs (btw, the day I came back I joined TBD, Oct 2019!).

Was overseas alot, so missed--yet craved--any Bills/NFL football.

So, my bottom line now: I am like a crack wh**e vis a vis WGR bills coverage.

I'll give you, ahem, whatever you want, just to get an extra 10m of S&B talking about FF (even though I dislike it) just cuz they may/may mention a Bills player.

I guess it's like that old Joni Mitchell song..."you don't know what you got til it's gone".

So, live joyously my brothers and sisters...these are the fricken' days.

• Shocked 1

In the past I have defended Schopp because he does any of the lifting that show needs.

He talks first, sets all the topics, is the only one with any theories on sports.

But I agree with others, he has several segments per show where his goal is to waste as much time as possible.

The starts of the show usually take 15 minutes before a solid sports topic comes up. 

The segments from the half hour mark to the mid-40’s after are usually complete waste of time stories and this is seemingly getting worse.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

To me, nobody is going through the motions more than "Bulldog".  He brings absolutely zero to the table.  He doesnt try to bring anything to the table.  Goes up into the attic at 3 sometimes and puts in his 3 hours or whatever of winging it.

Hearing him when he is alone is uncomfortable.  He just stammers around and cannot carry a show.

I second this sentiment.

I like BD playing off of Schoop, but when Schoop is out the show struggles to keep my attention, although he did have me going today setting the stage for the home opener.

I know Schoop is not everyone's cup of tea, but I like him.  Can he be a bit smug? Yes......but for the most part he's pretty honest and a lot of his takes are accurate.  His overall analytical take of the NFL and some of the sharper guests they auve has actually changed the way I view the game.

I appreciate his style and approach to viewing the game a lot more than I do the majority of the run of the mill, cliche type sports talk radio, you get down by me.

I do wish I could get in on a lot of those bets he throws out there to BD and sneaky Joe, because while smart he has a few blind spots I've picked up on over the years.

Sneaky Joe is good, I'll enjoy that new show. 

BTW, tough spot for all these radio guys. Most people dont have to worry about fans and or forums commenting on what they do and don't like about them.....so I do keep that in mind.

That said, don't get me started on Nate Geary. That kid needs to learn to listen and not overtalk everybody he's on air with. He's the one at WGR that I can't really listen to.....hes got that car salesmen delivery with an air of pretentiousness.

Edited by Estro
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

When was the Beane interview? I'd like to go back and listen to it. I must have missed it.

Have you noticed One Bills Live hasn't taken a call in weeks? Chris Brown DM'd me and said people just aren't calling in.

I flipped it on when I was driving today and heard Tasker name several prominent Bills players, including “Mitch Morris”.  He enunciated it very clearly.  SMH

• Haha (+1) 2

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

FYI for those looking for Bills coverage:

6am-10am Howard and Jeremy (no change)

10am-12pm extra point show with Sal and sneaky Joe (now M-F)

12pm-1pm Instigators (an hour shorter, moved to first hour of OBL)

1pm-3pm One Bills Live (an hour shorter)

3pm-7pm Schopp (no change) 

4 hours of Schopp and Bulldog is 3:59 too long 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

HOST: We've got John on the line, John you are on the Air.

John: AM I on the air?

HOST: Yes John you are on. 

{AWKWARD PAUSE}

John: Bills are going undefeated. Super Bowl Bills. KC was lucky to beat us

HOST: Thanks John.

We've got Mark Next, Mark.

{Repeat}

“John, John, turn your radio down.”

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

In the past I have defended Schopp because he does any of the lifting that show needs.

He talks first, sets all the topics, is the only one with any theories on sports.

But I agree with others, he has several segments per show where his goal is to waste as much time as possible.

The starts of the show usually take 15 minutes before a solid sports topic comes up. 

The segments from the half hour mark to the mid-40’s after are usually complete waste of time stories and this is seemingly getting worse.

Every time I listen to his show, he’s talking about either fantasy or betting. He needs to do a show only about that because it’s all he cares about.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

As someone who worked in Buffalo radio for a decade, I can say confidently the market is stale, nigh impossible to break into, and the pay is unlivable.

GR makes a lot of money though, which is like, the only point. It's about profit. That's the only thing. 

Why is (insert useless betting/fantasy turd here) on? Cause Audacy (corporate) bought BetQL and is forcing their sports stations to "content share". It's a dubious, profit obsessed move. 

The gambling talk is simply irresponsible. It's a vice. An addiction.  I'm not judging anyone, but you MUST acknowledge on the air that "gambling has risks" and you are in no shape or form endorsing irresponsible behavior. Its as if they'd have a local beer rep on and encourage them to drive drunk. 

I get that gambling built the league. It's essentially why Vegas is Vegas.  I acknowledge it's a huge business, with billions spent every season. But that doesn't make it a smart, or OK thing to just get in bed with.  Because you "win" bets doesn't make you some expert analyst. It means you're lucky. 

This, more than anything, is my biggest criticism of Schopp. What, you won 2 fantasy leagues and a futures bet last year? Who cares Mike? How many bets did you LOSE last year? For every Jeopardy James there's millions of families destroyed because of a gambling addiction.

I drink. I smoke weed. I'm not against vices.  I just dont think gambling is in anyway some "informed investment". It's not. Just be honest. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Peevo said:

This, more than anything, is my biggest criticism of Schopp. What, you won 2 fantasy leagues and a futures bet last year? Who cares Mike? How many bets did you LOSE last year? For every Jeopardy James there's millions of families destroyed because of a gambling addiction.

That is what drives me crazy about their show, and especially him.  I actually LIKE him when he talks sports. But I hate it when I turn on the radio at 3pm and have to wait 20 minutes for them to even mention sports some days.....and the fantasy sports/betting stuff, especially when it isn't talking about the topic in general but about how he does in his leagues?  WHO CARES about your team!!  I almost always end up listening to 590 out of Toronto or ESPN radio after giving WGR a shot with their 3pm show. 

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

As long as he gets his binky around 6 he’s ok 

Schopp and Co. is alright. I used to be a hater. But Chris Brown and Tasker are absolutely terrible. The loud exaggerated voices and lack of general knowledge kills me. Bring back John Murphy. He kept Tasker in check because he knew something. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I flipped it on when I was driving today and heard Tasker name several prominent Bills players, including “Mitch Morris”.  He enunciated it very clearly.  SMH

Omg, lol.  I’m still scarred from the West Herr commercials where he pronounces vehicle “vee-HICK-ull”.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Tasker's brain does this thing where when he starts saying a word, his brain associates it with a similar, more common word, and that's the one that comes out of his mouth. So Morse becomes Morris, and so on.

• Haha (+1) 2

9 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

If you google "bad radio" you'll get pictures of the former players who serve as hosts on the Instigators.

I mean, I like hockey, I really do. I just can’t seem to generate much interest in amateur radio hosts discussing a terrible dysfunctional team.  Maybe I would have felt different during the Drury/Briere years

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

Any of you guys listen to Tasker and Brown on Audacy/Radio app? Does that show have a weird crackle/feedback when either of those two knuckleheads raise their voices? It's the only show that does this, and has for a while. 

I hadn’t noticed that, but I can say with confidence that the Audacy app is equally as terrible as the radio dot com app that preceded it. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Mike comes off as a guy who's bored with life and the show.  He retreats into analytics and, as a result, betting to spice things up.  For whatever reason, he sounds like someone winging it and doesn't care.  I tire of hearing him simplify everything down to metrics when the human component to sports is always in play.  

Another thing I've noticed...I tuned in a few weeks ago after something Sabres related had happened only for him to talk 10-15 minutes about an experience at the vending machine.  What program director or station manager listens to that and doesn't make a point of ending the incessant banter about nothing. 

The afternoon show needs some energy, but they won't alter their hosts because there's no competition.     

Well, incessant banter about nothing worked out ok for jerry Seinfeld 😂

15 hours ago, HOUSE said:

7pm is awful late for Mike Schopp especially on a school night

I really can’t stand that guy 

14 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I like it. They were in dire need of more/better Bills coverage, and no one wants to hear about the Sabres nowadays.

Give a couple hours to Sal and Joe. They deserve it more than hockey or OBL.

There a hockey team in Buffalo??

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.