Couple of questions for my first Buffalo trip this week for opening day!

Alphadawg7

14 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Macy's makes crazy creative pizzas but I honestly think there are 3 better pizzerias within 2 miles lol 

Zahz on Cayuga , johnnies on union road and Gandys on union road all put out better pies than Macy's imo 

and are all right there near the airport too

Never had Gandy's, but I'm not a huge fan of either Zahz or Johnny's.  Not bad, mind you, but not great, IMO.

The chicken finger burrata pizza is Macy's is great, and I thought that even their basic char cup pepperoni and cheese was excellent.

16 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

Do people actually stay in Orchard Park?  When I've made the 6,000 mile trek to a Bills game I've stayed downtown but it means getting stuck in the miserable stadium traffic.  Next trip I might consider another alternative if there are good suggestions.

The Hampton Inn on Camp Road is relatively new, as is the Holiday Inn Express on Commerce Place (right off of Camp Road)

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Hey guys, 

As a lot of you know from a thread a couple months ago, I am coming to Buffalo for my first time for opening day against the Steelers!  My now fiance bought us tickets to come and I couldn't be more excited!  I have a couple of questions was wondering about...

1. As a first timer, what is the best place to go experience Bills Mafia tailgating?  
    1. Do I need to buy a ticket or anything to get into those areas like Hammers Lot or the Grass lots?
  2. I got a lot of advice in my last thread on things like where to get wings, but who has the best Beef on Weck?
  3. We plan on doing at least one find dining spot, any recommendations for that?  
  4. I hear we need to try some pizza too...what is the cant miss pizza spot?

for beef on weck….

there are two places close to each other.  They are in the city of tonawanda along Niagara street which runs along the river. The water side is a city park.

one place is old man rivers. You can get potato cut fries or sweet potato cut fries. They also have an ice cream stand.

down the street is squires tap room.  They offer a combo plate of beef on weck, a small order of 5-6 wings and fries.

on pizza…many neighborhoods have their own corner pizza and wing places. Many places do pizza, wings, subs, and other things.  

I Lived on the north side in tonawanda and Amherst and rarely went to anywhere south of Cheektowaga ( Walden galleria) other than for a bills game or ski trip ir to Allegheny.

in subs they have something called chicken finger subs. They also have them alone instead of wings.

when I return to town the places I go to besides the ones I mentioned above…

Johns pizza snd wings near boulevard mall

Francos pizza

Plaza pizza on main st

Wallys pizza and subs. Owner I knew in HS.

ill also go to teds for hot dogs or sausage. I’ll go to Anderson’s for beef on weck.

I don’t do mighty taco much anymore after the closed a location.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Not a tailgater, but Hammer's Lot is probably your best bet.  

A vegetarian (not much help here, sorry), but Schwabl's in West Seneca has the reputation of having the best beef on weck around.  Eckl's supposedly is pretty good, too.  (I never tried either before I switched to vegetarian a few years ago.)  Bar Bill in EA probably will get some votes, too.  Great wings there as well.  Now that I've said all of this, I'd probably go to Bar Bill just for the experience.  And, if the line is long, get a drink at the very cool bar next door at 189 Burger. 

Depends on where you're staying and what the weather is like for fine dining, but my vote is Rick's on Main in East Aurora.  If you want to stay in OP, and if you like Italian food, then Mangia is the place to go.  Definitely eat on the sidewalk at Mangia, and try to get an outside seat at Rick's.  Excellent experiences at both locations.  

Nino's (West Seneca) on the pizza.  You'll have a lot of input here.  Some will say Imperial in South Buffalo (a little too burned for me).  Others will say La Nova.  But I'm a Nino's person.  This answer, though, kind of depends on where you're staying.  If you're downtown, then La Nova is probably where it's at for you.  

With all due respect, why the hell would I value the opinion of a vegetarian for wings or beef?? 😂

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

Tell Hammers you’re one of us and get there by 8 am.  Other suggestions good but a close awesome place is Blasdell pizza.  You cannot do better.  Well done extra sauce.

can’t go wrong.  Don’t forget mighty.  People from there take it for granted as they don’t know how crappy it is outside of Buffalo, and worth the real home experience.  Have fun brother.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Tell Hammers you’re one of us and get there by 8 am.  Other suggestions good but a close awesome place is Blasdell pizza.  You cannot do better.  Well done extra sauce.

can’t go wrong.  Don’t forget mighty.  People from there take it for granted as they don’t know how crappy it is outside of Buffalo, and worth the real home experience.  Have fun brother.

Mighty is not game day fare.  Day before.  Colorectal issues. 

48 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

With all due respect, why the hell would I value the opinion of a vegetarian for wings or beef?? 😂

Because I spent 40 years chowing down on that stuff.  Veggie for athletic and health reasons. 

Edited by SectionC3
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Chas56 said:

I usually still get to one game a year. We always celebrate by going to the Buffalo Chophouse for dinner after. We see Bills players there every year! Bring your wallet.

jason alexander wallet GIF

Chop House..? A really big wallet! It is an experience though, Bills players or not.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Macy's makes crazy creative pizzas but I honestly think there are 3 better pizzerias within 2 miles lol 

Zahz on Cayuga , johnnies on union road and Gandys on union road all put out better pies than Macy's imo 

and are all right there near the airport too

Gandy’s does have good pizza!!

• Agree 1

Alphadawg, if you are staying downtown then stay downtown. There are many great places to eat there. Big Ditch Brewery is a good place to eat and drink. I recommend the Breuben sandwich. Across from there is an Italian restaurant called Tappo. They have a live band playing on Monday nights and rooftop dining. On Chippewa, there’s another bar named Bada Bing’s. They have good pizza, wings and a nice place to watch college football games. Sideline’s is on Delaware, around the corner, and has a decent beef of weck. Buffalo Chophouse is also downtown for fine dining. You have to make a reservation and take the Mrs. to Patrick’s rooftop bar located in the Aloft hotel downtown. It has an awe inspiring view of Buffalo 

For wings downtown I recommend Gabriel's Gate.

If you're going to scout out the stadium beforehand, I'd highly recommend heading down 20A to East Aurora Bar Bill for wings and beef on week.  

I ordered wings and a sandwich there once and I swear, it was one of the best meals I've ever had.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

For RB, be advised that Schwabls looks like a dump.  Grew up near there.  Driven by it hundreds of times.  Never set foot in the place.  I was dumbfounded when someone I know who works on a different city drove several hours to go there.  But apparently it’s worth it.  And a quick shot out the 190/400 from downtown.  

You should hit the Southtowns at least once.  Bar bill is a Pegulas haunt.  Village of East Aurora is great.  And Mangia (outside) is sort of a perfect Orchard Park experience.  You can’t go wrong.   Might see former bills there if they’re in town for the game.  I have a great Marv Levy story from outside Mangia. 

Let's hear it!

P.S.  Agreed the food at Mangia is awesome!

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Hey guys, 

As a lot of you know from a thread a couple months ago, I am coming to Buffalo for my first time for opening day against the Steelers!  My now fiance bought us tickets to come and I couldn't be more excited!  I have a couple of questions was wondering about...

1. As a first timer, what is the best place to go experience Bills Mafia tailgating?  
    1. Do I need to buy a ticket or anything to get into those areas like Hammers Lot or the Grass lots?
  2. I got a lot of advice in my last thread on things like where to get wings, but who has the best Beef on Weck?
  3. We plan on doing at least one find dining spot, any recommendations for that?  
  4. I hear we need to try some pizza too...what is the cant miss pizza spot?

4. Abbott’s Pizza in West Seneca

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Mighty is not game day fare.  Day before.  Colorectal issues. 

Because I spent 40 years chowing down on that stuff.  Veggie for athletic and health reasons. 

Not when you have an iron stomach. If he eats a bunch vs. just two burritos, then yes, a problem.  I’ll agree in the sense that I eat them only once every year or two, I splurge which is not my norm, so in that sense, you’re right brother.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 1

Beef on weck isn't special. It's a roast beef sandwich on a salty roll. There's a reason it hasn't become popular outside of Buffalo. I suppose you should try it once, but just don't have high expectations. To be totally honest, a French dip or even just a classic roast beef from Arby's have more flavor. I've had Schwabl's, Charlie the Butcher, Duff's, and numerous others over the years, and the sandwich is consistently disappointing.

Bocce Club or La Nova if you want to try Buffalo style pizza. Personally, I think Bocce Club is excellent.

By the way, if you want some tasty quick eats, try the steak hoagie (!) at Jim's SteakOut and the birria tacos at La Divina.

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1