Tyrod Taylor named Texans starting QB vs. Jags Week 1

31 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

25-21-1. It is fricking ridiculous that he doesn’t get credit for the start in the season opener from 2015.  He played the entire game at qb and cassel got the credit because of a single trick rushing play.

True.  He should have gotten credit for that game (on Pro Football Reference, they have him at 7-6 for the season, but under his gamelogs for the year, give him the start and credit for the win).  He also probably would have won another game (Jags game in England) if he'd played.  He also could have gotten to 8-8 in 2016 if he didn't sit for the season-ender.

But while he's got a winning record, he's a tease.  He'll get you to 8-8/9-7 but that's about it.  And that's what the Bills saw and why they decided to move on.

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

All the Cover1 guys seem kinda twitchy if you disagree with them.

IIRC there are a couple of other posters here who clearly know their football and have been blocked by one or the other of those guys.

True. Although, the same could be said for a number of posters here as well. 

As for blocking people, I could think of a number of legitimate reasons to do so. However, if you are going to put yourself out there publicly as having some level of "expertise" in any field, and block people simply because they disagree with you, then maybe you should consider doing something different. Not a good look.

On 9/6/2021 at 12:47 PM, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Between Taylor and Fitzpatrick... Buffalo has ties to some truly great journeymen QBs

You left off Todd Collins (the original heir apparent to Jim Kelly) who carried a clipboard for 15 of his 16 seasons, 4 of which he never saw the field. (apologies if this has been mentioned, didn't wade through 6 pages to check)

7 hours ago, Doc said:

That’s the implication.  It definitely makes it sound the Bills made a mistake, which they didn’t. 

Tyrod is the opposite of Fitz: too careful with the ball.  Neither is a starter but they are decent backups and in the right situation, which isn’t Houston, Tyrod can do enough to get you to the playoffs whereas Fitz has shown he can’t. I appreciate what he did during the drought-ender and actually didn’t have a problem with his comments (other than disagreeing that he would have remained the starter if he were white). 

He only stated that black qbs had to do more to be deemed the starting qbs.  That's been the case since the nfls founding days I'd imagine.  Lot of great history the USA has unfortunately there's alot of history that's very sorid and ugly.  To be frank that's the common thread throughout humanities existence and unlikely to change now.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

True. Although, the same could be said for a number of posters here as well. 

As for blocking people, I could think of a number of legitimate reasons to do so. However, if you are going to put yourself out there publicly as having some level of "expertise" in any field, and block people simply because they disagree with you, then maybe you should consider doing something different. Not a good look.

Indeed there's no growth in just maintaining ties with only like minded people.  I constantly  debate my opinions by debating opposite viewpoints in my mind.  If I can't justify my stance against an opposing viewpoint I will modify my stance according to any facts that I  may turn up.  Many people won't even listen to anything thats opposite.  But to create balance u need both sides to find that perfect middle ground.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

He only stated that black qbs had to do more to be deemed the starting qbs.  That's been the case since the nfls founding days I'd imagine.  Lot of great history the USA has unfortunately there's alot of history that's very sorid and ugly.  To be frank that's the common thread throughout humanities existence and unlikely to change now.

I think at one time, sure, black QBs weren't looked favorably upon.  But are there examples from, say, 2000 onwards of a good starting QB who lost his job undeservedly?  Does Tyrod qualify? 

20 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

He also had Bills fans convinced Robert Woods stunk and Peak Sammy Watkins holding press conferences to remind him QB’s are supposed to throw passes.  

Y’all are being too nice to this guy.   

That’s enough Tyrod content for one season 🙃

I don't remember seeing many if any fans thinking Woods stunk.  Personally,  I think he just didn't want to be here but he was my favorite receiver during that period here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I don't remember seeing many if any fans thinking Woods stunk.  Personally,  I think he just didn't want to be here but he was my favorite receiver during that period here.

Robert Woods was best WR we had at time.  He was good both as receiver and blocker.

Sammy Watkins was not available too often.

Woods appeared home sick when he was in Buffalo.  I do not think he had issue with team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 9/7/2021 at 2:23 PM, Steve O said:

You left off Todd Collins (the original heir apparent to Jim Kelly) who carried a clipboard for 15 of his 16 seasons, 4 of which he never saw the field. (apologies if this has been mentioned, didn't wade through 6 pages to check)

I kind just imagine the paychecks for those 16 seasons. And barely any injuries, not even banged up. Oh I'd rather be a starter and get some glory, but still, hard to feel sorry for the guy. And for Tyrod for that matter as dude had made some real money!

13 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

Poor Tyrod, I'm sure he'll get the rug pulled out from under him again.

Unless Watson decides to start acting like a professional (and is allowed to play), doubtful.  Mills isn't anywhere close to starting material.

On 9/7/2021 at 8:57 AM, FilthyBeast said:

Very strange that the Texans insist on keeping Watson and paying him huge money to do nothing.

Regarding Taylor, great for him but the reality is that the Texans are likely going to be a bad team this year and playing from behind a lot which is not conducive to Taylor's conservative/game manager style of play so I still expect him to be benched sooner than later for the 'next man up' (whoever that is) possibly even before our week 4 matchup.

Not strange at all.  Watson value is enormous outside the scandal.  The offers they are getting while Watson's future availability is up in the air are no where close to what they would be if it all amounted to nothing.  

If I am the Texans, I would rather pay him to sit and see if his legal troubles clear up.  At that time, maybe they can either A) Salvage the relationship or B) Trade him for the bounty he is worth to focus on a full rebuild.  Obviously the latter seems more likely than them repairing the relationship, but you never know.  Everyone had Rodgers out of GB this year with most saying he had no chance to return, and now he is there one more year at least.  

4 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Tyrod Taylor gets the win and better stats than Allen. We should have kept T-Mobile.

Hahahahah....good one.....yeah cause tyrod is clutch in the playoffs...lol....

6 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Tyrod Taylor gets the win and better stats than Allen. We should have kept T-Mobile.

The Bills are worse than the Texans, Bengals, Dolphins and Broncos, they suck.  But they are way better than the Packers, they are at the bottom of the NFL after today.

On 9/7/2021 at 11:55 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

Is Tyrod Taylor a good starting QB.  No, he is not.  But he is a capable one and a solid backup.  I far more hated the Fitzpatrick years than I did the Tyrod years.  People forget, Tyrods 3 years here were the highest scoring 3 years in Buffalo history outside of the first 3 SB years with Kelly.  Unfortunately, those same 3 years were the ones that loser Rex Ryan destroyed our defense and made it one of the worst in the NFL.  

The amount of extreme hate he gets is mind blowing to me, especially after he helped us snap the playoff drought, and I think he also made 2 pro bowls.  And while everyone of his haters likes to credit Andy Dalton with our playoff birth, I like to remind them we would have had 10 wins that year if we didnt try the failed Nathan Pickerman fiasco in LA against the Chargers.  I was at that game, the Chargers were terrible and coming off a bunch of bad losses.  

In fact, Tyrod easily moved the ball on them once we got him into the game in the second half.  Had TT played and started the whole game, we dont lose that game at all.  So, IMO, TT was still a big part of us breaking the playoff skid and that I will always be grateful for.  ESPECIALLY since that was one less thing on Josh Allens shoulders when he stepped onto the field to deal with.  

My expectations are low for TT as a starter for Houston, the team literally has one of the worst rosters in the NFL, so he is not in any way setup to succeed there.  He is no where good enough to carry a bad roster.  Who knows, might look ok week 1 against another bad team...but either way, its not going to be a good season for the Texans or Tyrod.  

Regardless I wish him the best and good luck...and hes gonna need it on that crap show of a team. 

I totally agree with almost everything you point out here but I might say that the Texans are a perfect fit for Taylor.  Despite the game manager tag Taylor gets he never played better than when Watkins or Goodwin were stretching defenses (when they weren't hurt).  I think having Cooks to go deep and Ingram to grind at RB might be the perfect fit for Taylor.  I still don't think Taylor is a throw it 50 times a game 4,000 yards and 40 TD's type QB but if the Texans play defense and Ingram and Cooks have a good year Taylor has proven he can win.  They might surprise people.  Then they'll draft a QB first thing next year.