Tyrod Taylor named Texans starting QB vs. Jags Week 1

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Seemed bringing in an average QB who would improve the offense to average was Rex Ryan's plan to get the Bills to the playoffs and break the drought.

When he took over, we had the #4 defense in the league and the #18 offense on points.   Seemed like his idea was, take that #4 defense and improve the offense to top-10 or close to that, and we're "In", it's "On".  So he brought in an OC who had offensive success all the way to the Superbowl with a "meh" QB who could run and a creative run game, and a QB who could run and throw deep and who was careful with the football - not throwing game-changing picks.

Well, that part worked as intended, but the defense tanked

I think there's some revisionist history here. 

In 2015, relative to EJ Manuel, Thad Lewis, Jeff Tuel etc - Taylor WAS entertaining.  He was exciting and fast when he ran, and he threw a pretty deep ball and also passed decently to wide open receivers.  In 2016, when the offensive productivity dipped because teams had tape on what Taylor wouldn't try so they could focus on shutting down what he did well, fans started to get restless.  Then in 2017 when the Bills abandoned the offense that suited Taylor AND jettisoned all the good WR on the team (Watkins, Woods, Goodwin), then tried to make him a pocket passer throwing to Deonte Thompson, Andre Holmes, Zay Jones, and Fat Kelvin Benjamin, it became pretty Grim.

There was a similar phenomenon with Fitzpatrick.  He was a blessed relief when he replaced Trent Edwards, and we were vastly entertained in 2011 when the Bills started 5-2.  Then when we had a 7 game losing streak and it became clear his penchant for throwing game-turning picks at the worst time was not a skin he would shed, he became "the worst QB in the league" "Pickspatrick" "he sucks" etc etc.  He was not seen as very entertaining.

Perhaps there’s a recency bias with the fan base and Tyrod.  Rather than remembering him as the scrambling QB throwing bombs against the Jets in 2016, fans remember his as the boring QB who was the poor fit in Rick Dennison’s offense with a bad supporting cast

54 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Just be thankful that Nate was that horrid because if he wasn't we might never had drafted Josh Allen. 

I don't believe that. Nate would have had to be very good indeed for the Bills to decide to pass on the 2018 QB class. The plan was set the moment Beane walked in the door. They were always taking a Quarterback from that 2018 class. I actually think Peterman being semi-serviceable might have made them even more willing for that guy to be Allen because you will recall the plan was not to start him early in 2018.... albeit in the long run I always felt he was a guy who if he was going to learn was going to learn from doing not learn from sitting. 

14 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Perhaps there’s a recency bias with the fan base and Tyrod.  Rather than remembering him as the scrambling QB throwing bombs against the Jets in 2016, fans remember his as the boring QB who was the poor fit in Rick Dennison’s offense with a bad supporting cast

I'm glad Dennsion got fired too.  He was at least as responsible for that dumpster fire of an offense.  

Any argument to keeping him would have been for 1 year only - I would've been OK with that.  But they got a 3rd round pick (#65 for the trade) which to me was worth it.  The team made the playoffs the previous year but they played a cupcake schedule, and were installing a new offense.  

The argument for losing him?  He was really bad in that dennison offense.  134 yards passing, 1 pick, sacked twice, 3 points.  In a playoff game.

He rallied that team to that chiefs win that season when the season was like teetering on disaster (

), and helped end the drought (snow game was also a big help).  The man does deserve some respect.

Edited by dneveu

Both Tyrod and “Fritz” were backup QBs that we attempted to use as franchise QBs, which neither of them are.  So, this argument is silly.  We needed a franchise QB and we rolled the dice (successfully, so far) on Josh Allen.  We would have drafted him or the best available prospect, regardless of whether we kept Tyrod or Fritz or whoever we picked up to replace them.

we did not make a mistake in drafting John Allen.

20 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

That’s definitely correct. I will always remember Tyrod as a game manager who did well enough to break the playoff drought. He was also the best QB we’d had at that point for some time. That being said, the recency bias extends to his time with the Browns and Chargers. Tyrod now looks more like 2017 Tyrod than the 2015 Tyrod. It seems like something happened mentally to Tyrod from 2017 on. He’s a different player who’s completely timid and unwilling to push the ball downfield. 

• Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I'm glad Dennsion got fired too.  He was at least as responsible for that dumpster fire of an offense.  

Any argument to keeping him would have been for 1 year only - I would've been OK with that.  But they got a 3rd round pick (#65 for the trade) which to me was worth it.  The team made the playoffs the previous year but they played a cupcake schedule, and were installing a new offense.  

The argument for losing him?  He was really bad in that dennison offense.  134 yards passing, 1 pick, sacked twice, 3 points.  In a playoff game.

He rallied that team to that chiefs win that season when the season was like teetering on disaster), and helped end the drought (snow game was also a big help).  The man does deserve some respect.

On the Dennison point, I said the moment he was hired that Tyrod was not a fit for that scheme. Indeed it led to Aaron Quinn from Cover 1 blocking me because he had done a long video on how he was a perfect fit and I made my case as to why I disagreed and he came back saying "you're wrong" and when I explained it again he blocked me. Oh well. 

I was totally out on Tyrod by the Cincy game in 2016. In 2015 I didn't "enjoy" his play (that Tennessee game was barely watchable to my poor, poor eyes) but I appreciated him and the alternative was starting EJ or Matt Cassel. In 2016 I was saying "okay, seen enough, this 2017 QB class is good, let's take one of these guys." I understood with what happened why the Bills decided to stick with him one more year and the 2017 restructure was a happy moment for me because it was pretty much a guarantee that whatever happened they were moving on after the season. 

I think one of the things that most turned me against Tyrod (and it wasn't his fault) was that he had a cultish devotion on here of people who even after that 2017 restructure were adamant he was the franchise guy, including a couple of posters I have huge respect for..... I just couldn't see what they were watching. But yea, good guy, good teammate, responded to adversity well, but was always a below average NFL Quarterback and his style of Quarterback play is just never ever going to be for me because there is such a low ceiling on it. 

Just now, SirAndrew said:

That’s definitely correct. I will always remember Tyrod as a game manager who did well enough to break the playoff drought. He was also the best QB we’d had at that point for some time. That being said, the recency bias extends to his time with the Browns and Chargers. Tyrod now looks more like 2017 Tyrod than the 2015 Tyrod. It seems like something happened mentally to Tyrod from 2017 on. He’s a different player who’s completely timid and unwilling to push the ball downfield. 

He was always that player. He threw some deep balls in 2017 but there were all of the "safe" variety. The problem with Tyrod wasn't throws he missed on.... it was throws that were there and he wouldn't make.... he'd run around behind the line of scrimmage instead and for the 12 times a game he'd do that he might convert 3 or 4 first downs but he was missing wide open receivers that he could have hit for big gains. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

On the Dennison point, I said the moment he was hired that Tyrod was not a fit for that scheme. Indeed it led to Aaron Quinn from Cover 1 blocking me because he had done a long video on how he was a perfect fit and I made my case as to why I disagreed and he came back saying "you're wrong" and when I explained it again he blocked me. Oh well. 

I was totally out on Tyrod by the Cincy game in 2016. In 2015 I didn't "enjoy" his play (that Tennessee game was barely watchable to my poor, poor eyes) but I appreciated him and the alternative was starting EJ or Matt Cassel. In 2016 I was saying "okay, seen enough, this 2017 QB class is good, let's take one of these guys." I understood with what happened why the Bills decided to stick with him one more year and the 2017 restructure was a happy moment for me because it was pretty much a guarantee that whatever happened they were moving on after the season. 

I think one of the things that most turned me against Tyrod (and it wasn't his fault) was that he had a cultish devotion on here of people who even after that 2017 restructure were adamant he was the franchise guy, including a couple of posters I have huge respect for..... I just couldn't see what they were watching. But yea, good guy, good teammate, responded to adversity well, but was always a below average NFL Quarterback and his style of Quarterback play is just never ever going to be for me because there is such a low ceiling on it. 

He was always that player. He threw some deep balls in 2017 but there were all of the "safe" variety. The problem with Tyrod wasn't throws he missed on.... it was throws that were there and he wouldn't make.... he'd run around behind the line of scrimmage instead and for the 12 times a game he'd do that he might convert 3 or 4 first downs but he was missing wide open receivers that he could have hit for big gains. 

That’s fair, Tyrod lost me when I saw him

play in person for the first time in 2017. He was spending way too much time scrambling behind the line missing tons of easy reads. That said, I’ll always think that he changed a little bit, and was coached by McD’s regime to be more cautious because they didn’t trust him, and wanted to win with defense. It was understandable given the fact that the offense had very little talent, and the defense performed very well. I’m not claiming that Tyrod was ever an elite passing QB, but for whatever reason I have a different perception of the Rex Ryan coached Tyrod. 

Does anyone else think the Deshaun Watson situation is bizarre and unprecedented?  He’s not been suspended or charged with a crime, still on the 53-man roster, he’s 100% healthy, still being paid a fortune, still a top-5 QB in the league, and is expected to be inactive indefinitely on game day….WTF is going on?

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

That’s fair, Tyrod lost me when I saw him

play in person for the first time in 2017. He was spending way too much time scrambling behind the line missing tons of easy reads. That said, I’ll always think that he changed a little bit, and was coached by McD’s regime to be more cautious because they didn’t trust him, and wanted to win with defense. It was understandable given the fact that the offense had very little talent, and the defense performed very well. I’m not claiming that Tyrod was ever an elite passing QB, but for whatever reason I have a different perception of the Rex Ryan coached Tyrod. 

His last year in Buffalo was not good.  He really made very few plays. I was willing to hope he might continue to improve, but he stunk.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

His last year in Buffalo was not good.  He really made very few plays. I was willing to hope he might continue to improve, but he stunk.

Exactly, that’s basically my point. Tyrod went from being an Alex Smith type game manager to Trent Edwards by his final season. I acknowledge the fact that we had the worst receivers in the game, but that’s who Tyrod is now. His recent stops in Cleveland and LA have proven that. I’ll always have a soft spot for Tyrod, and he did some good things for us, but he never continued to progress as a QB. Defenses figured him out, and he retreated into his shell of just being the guy who doesn’t make mistakes. 

11 minutes ago, mannc said:

Does anyone else think the Deshaun Watson situation is bizarre and unprecedented?  He’s not been suspended or charged with a crime, still on the 53-man roster, he’s 100% healthy, still being paid a fortune, still a top-5 QB in the league, and is expected to be inactive indefinitely on game day….WTF is going on?

Yep. It is beyond odd. The league and Houston have suspended him without suspending him and he is happy because he wants out anyway....

Is Tyrod Taylor a good starting QB.  No, he is not.  But he is a capable one and a solid backup.  I far more hated the Fitzpatrick years than I did the Tyrod years.  People forget, Tyrods 3 years here were the highest scoring 3 years in Buffalo history outside of the first 3 SB years with Kelly.  Unfortunately, those same 3 years were the ones that loser Rex Ryan destroyed our defense and made it one of the worst in the NFL.  

The amount of extreme hate he gets is mind blowing to me, especially after he helped us snap the playoff drought, and I think he also made 2 pro bowls.  And while everyone of his haters likes to credit Andy Dalton with our playoff birth, I like to remind them we would have had 10 wins that year if we didnt try the failed Nathan Pickerman fiasco in LA against the Chargers.  I was at that game, the Chargers were terrible and coming off a bunch of bad losses.  

In fact, Tyrod easily moved the ball on them once we got him into the game in the second half.  Had TT played and started the whole game, we dont lose that game at all.  So, IMO, TT was still a big part of us breaking the playoff skid and that I will always be grateful for.  ESPECIALLY since that was one less thing on Josh Allens shoulders when he stepped onto the field to deal with.  

My expectations are low for TT as a starter for Houston, the team literally has one of the worst rosters in the NFL, so he is not in any way setup to succeed there.  He is no where good enough to carry a bad roster.  Who knows, might look ok week 1 against another bad team...but either way, its not going to be a good season for the Texans or Tyrod.  

Regardless I wish him the best and good luck...and hes gonna need it on that crap show of a team. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Very strange that the Texans insist on keeping Watson and paying him huge money to do nothing.

Regarding Taylor, great for him but the reality is that the Texans are likely going to be a bad team this year and playing from behind a lot which is not conducive to Taylor's conservative/game manager style of play so I still expect him to be benched sooner than later for the 'next man up' (whoever that is) possibly even before our week 4 matchup.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He also never evolved.  He's the same guy now that he was in 2015.  He's a fantastic backup because he won't necessarily kill you.  The 8-10% sack rate will still happen because he holds the ball, he won't turn it over much. 

Houston doesn't have the defense needed to play with a QB like Tyrod and be competitive.  Cooks is fine. The backs are fine.  But there will be a ton of blowouts, because ball control and security only get you so far when the defense is one of the worst units in the NFL.  

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

True Dat.  He was also given Todd Haley as his offensive coordinator.

This is probable.  I think the point is that he's still in the league because while he's not the guy you pursue as the Franchise, he's 24-21-1 as a starter, and a QB who can win at least half the games for you as a backup has value.

25-21-1. It is fricking ridiculous that he doesn’t get credit for the start in the season opener from 2015.  He played the entire game at qb and cassel got the credit because of a single trick rushing play.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

All the Cover1 guys seem kinda twitchy if you disagree with them.

IIRC there are a couple of other posters here who clearly know their football and have been blocked by one or the other of those guys.

Seems kinda childish blocking someone that just respectfully disagrees. Can understand if being disrespected and belittled etc