Most memorable opening game

BillsFan619

13 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

I am going with the 2017  Bills 21  Jets 12 game.

1) It was the start of the Mc Beane era and my hopes were renewed after the tragic Wrex era

2) It was my friend and co worker Marcel's first Bills game ever and he had a real blast

3)Played a joke on him when he went to the porta potty I got a mounted police officer to station his horse at the door so when he came out it was nose to nose with him.

4) Got free parking and Pizza at Pino's(they missed me)

5) A Cover Hard Rock Band(can't remember the name) was playing at a white house almost across the street(they had bands previously but not for a few years) this band once played on a stage in front of the Ralph and had a terrific female singer.

6) Visited Hammers Lot and introduced him to Kenny(Pinto Ron) 

7) The Bills made the playoffs for the first time in 18 years  :)

Woohoo! The opener that ended up helping us end the drought.

It’s crazy that was already four years ago. Being mediocre for so long, it’s weird that we’ve been respectable or really good for four years now.

• Like (+1) 1

This is probably just due to my age & optimism at the time, but JP Losman getting his first start against Houston opening day & getting the W.

I was worried after Bledsoe's last season, but optimistic about Losman. Figured that he was drafted in the 1st round of strong QB class (Manning, Rivers, Big Ben) that surely the Bills must've known he was of similar quality to move up in the 1st round to get him.

Then he got injured his rookie season, so 1 extra year went by to build up the expectations. Then when game time came, the Bills win at home against the Texas 22-7, Losman didn't light it up, but he showed promise. Man... how quickly things change 😄

2 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

This is probably just due to my age & optimism at the time, but JP Losman getting his first start against Houston opening day & getting the W.

I was worried after Bledsoe's last season, but optimistic about Losman. Figured that he was drafted in the 1st round of strong QB class (Manning, Rivers, Big Ben) that surely the Bills must've known he was of similar quality to move up in the 1st round to get him.

Then he got injured his rookie season, so 1 extra year went by to build up the expectations. Then when game time came, the Bills win at home against the Texas 22-7, Losman didn't light it up, but he showed promise. Man... how quickly things change 😄

It really is crazy that in a draft where there was Manning, Rivers and Rothlisberger we get Losman.

Thankfully we FINALLY have our guy. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

It really is crazy that in a draft where there was Manning, Rivers and Rothlisberger we get Losman.

Thankfully we FINALLY have our guy. Go Bills!

Yeah... that really hurt. Little did we know at the time it was just a sign of things to come. So much ineptitude in evaluating/developing QB's. 17 year drought... 

So many good QB's in that draft & we moved up to grab Losman 💩

But hey, several years later we give it a go again & draft another QB in the 1st round. Surely this time we'll get it right. Surprise, EJ Manuel is here! That draft class had the opposite problem... all the QB's were duds.

It's only worthy of an honorable mention but the 2016 home opener is noteworthy:

Pros - 

• Thursday night game
  • Bruce gets his number retired
  • Bills scored 31 including a nice bombs to Goodwin (84 yards) and Salas (71 yards) 

Cons -

• Red pajama uniforms
  • Tyrod was our QB
  • Rex was our coach
  • Fitzmagic was playing for the wrong team and looked like a Hall of Famer (374 passing yards)

The next day, after scoring 31, Rex decided to "fix" the problem by firing the OC.  That's when I knew for sure it was a poop-show.  He really did fix the problem by quitting before week 17.

On 9/10/2021 at 6:06 AM, Dan Darragh said:

It's only worthy of an honorable mention but the 2016 home opener is noteworthy:

Pros - 

• Thursday night game
  • Bruce gets his number retired
  • Bills scored 31 including a nice bombs to Goodwin (84 yards) and Salas (71 yards) 

Cons -

• Red pajama uniforms
  • Tyrod was our QB
  • Rex was our coach
  • Fitzmagic was playing for the wrong team and looked like a Hall of Famer (374 passing yards)

The next day, after scoring 31, Rex decided to "fix" the problem by firing the OC.  That's when I knew for sure it was a poop-show.  He really did fix the problem by quitting before week 17.

Cool thoughts!

Wow, that was five years ago already. Little did anyone know that it would be the last year of the drought.

Haven't seen anyone mention this one, but I really remember the opener against the Titans in 2000 as a super-intense game and made me optimistic for the season to come. Unfortunately... that season was the start of the drought and getting that bit of revenge on the Titans was really the only good part of that year.

• Like (+1) 1