Most memorable opening game

BillsFan619

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Can there be any other answer than 1980 Bills-Dolphins?

89 Dolphins and the 2003 Sam Adams 31-0 beat down of the Patriots are great games but there is nothing to compare to tearing down the goal posts, Fred Smerlas dancing with fans, and the start of a great season.  

Hands down winner..  The 70's decade against the Dolphins was B-R-U-T-A-L...   That was a sesimic win. I was at the game..  Unforgettable.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

For an “Opener”, I’ll go with 1973, the preseason opener vs the (then) Redskins that was also the opener for The Ralph. First game ever in our new home. That one stands out more than anything else, no contest! Traffic was unexpectedly brutal and we were still waiting to get inside as the opening kickoff took place. You could hear the crowd noise build as the ball was kicked…..and then… you could hear with wind leaving the sails as Herb Mulkey returned the kickoff for a touchdown. What a great start…..

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Beast said:

4493C7B5-B47A-4955-876E-1E3A75D12958.jpeg

I agree with everyone that said that game!

I was stationed at Homestead AFB south of Miami when that game broke "The Streak" and watched it on Miami TV.

The Monday Miami Herald had the color version of that picture on the front page.

The headline read "It's Over".  I am so pissed I lost that newspaper after a number of years.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Sept 8, 2002 - Jets at Bills.  Jets won in OT on a kickoff return from Chad Morton who also returned a kickoff for a TD in the 2nd Quarter.  You could have heard a pin drop as the crowd went silent as he scored.  

I still have that, in the box, in my basement. 

I believe Bledsoe had completed a 4th and long for a game tying touchdown as time ran out.  And then *poof* the rug was pulled out from under us.

7 minutes ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

I believe Bledsoe had completed a 4th and long for a game tying touchdown as time ran out.  And then *poof* the rug was pulled out from under us.

It was a long TD on 4th down late in the 4th to Moulds, to tie it up.  I believe that the Morton KR return in OT was his 2nd TD return that day.

As a young bills fan and seeing as last year was the first time I saw us win a playoff game, I would have to say that this is the most stoked I’ve ever been for an opening game. Even though I’ve always been a big fan I’ve never gone into a season thinking this is the year we can win the Super Bowl. I also used to live in the burge so it’ll be awesome to see the Bills beating the Steelers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Most memorable for me was 1980 finally beating the Fish, and helping carry the goalposts up to Ralph’s box (yes, alcohol was involved).  But the best game I ever saw was the ‘74 opener against the Raiders.

The only game I ever saw live at the stadium in OP.    Monday Night Football!  As I recall, Madden's Raiders were undefeated on MNF.  Cosell and the gang were there.  OJ - the engine of the offense - gets hurt about halfway in.   No chance now.  

Yet the Bills score a TD with about 2 minutes left to take the lead.  But after a heartbreaking Bills fumble, the Raiders score a TD with about a minute left to regain their lead to preserve their perfect MNF record.   

And then amazingly, improbably, with precious seconds ticking by, young Fergie cooly leads the team down the field and with a perfect toss to Ahmad Rashad earns the victory!

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, KoalaLangdon said:

As a young bills fan and seeing as last year was the first time I saw us win a playoff game, I would have to say that this is the most stoked I’ve ever been for an opening game. Even though I’ve always been a big fan I’ve never gone into a season thinking this is the year we can win the Super Bowl. I also used to live in the burge so it’ll be awesome to see the Bills beating the Steelers.

Welcome to TBD. So happy for people like you, Koala.

The only bills football you knew what is the drought. And now, you get to experience JA hopefully go all the way!

Go Bills!

2 hours ago, Augie said:

For an “Opener”, I’ll go with 1973, the preseason opener vs the (then) Redskins that was also the opener for The Ralph. First game ever in our new home. That one stands out more than anything else, no contest! Traffic was unexpectedly brutal and we were still waiting to get inside as the opening kickoff took place. You could hear the crowd noise build as the ball was kicked…..and then… you could hear with wind leaving the sails as Herb Mulkey returned the kickoff for a touchdown. What a great start…..

Do you still have the commemorative coin handed out that game?

il_fullxfull.2167709781_mxzv.jpg&f=1&nof

Edited by ChasBB
Add image link

8 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

For me has to be the 31-0 beatdown of the Pats in 2003.

Sadly the trip to Foxboro had the same score line but the other team winning.

That was mine and my wife’s first Bills home game. It will always hold a spot at the top of our favorite games. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ChasBB said:

Do you still have the commemorative coin handed out that game?

il_fullxfull.2167709781_mxzv.jpg&f=1&nof

Wow! I don’t even remember that! We were in such a hurry to get in! Maybe they ran out? LOVE the stadium! Have a LOT of great memories there including some great concerts like the Stones in ‘75. I was a kid, and that was eye opening! It was a big part of my youth. Or Ute as Joe Pesci would say. :)

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

Wow! I don’t even remember that! We were in such a hurry to get in! Maybe they ran out? LOVE the stadium! Have a LOT of great memories there including some great concerts like the Stones in ‘75. I was a kid, and that was eye opening! It was a big part of my youth. Or Ute as Joe Pesci would say. :)

It was just a plastic coin (Ralph is cheap)  :)

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Couple less mentioned but memorable openers, one good and one bad.

'96 opener vs Giants on SNF.  Down 17-0,  Kelly rallys team to force OT and then win it 23-20!

I was at the bad one.  '98 opener in SD. the first Johnson/Flutie game.  Johnson sucked and then got hurt in 3rd qtr.  Bills were down 10-0.

Flutie comes in and hits Reed for 2 TDS to make it 16-14 SD.  Then he takes final drive deep and sets up chip shot FG for the win. 

Christie shanks it

Maybe an odd answer but for the wrong reasons it is 2012 for me. After our hot start in 2011 had faded away we went out and spent some money, most notably on Mario Williams, to upgrade the roster and there was some talent on that team. Jackson and Spiller, Johnson, Glenn, Levitre, Wood, Kyle, Mario,  Bradham, Aaron Williams, Gilmore, Byrd..... and they got absolutely shellacked by Rex's Jets on opening day. I really had some hope that season that we were going to make a run at a wildcard spot. That hope was gone by half time of week one. That team only going 6-10 was an underachievement.  They didn't have superstars but they had the makings of a decent roster. Fitz regressed if anything and the coaching was really exposed week after week. 

Interesting fact - all three seasons of playoff football under McDermott have started by defeating the Jets on opening day. So at least we have got our own back a bit!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Hellcamino said:

Couple less mentioned but memorable openers, one good and one bad.

'96 opener vs Giants on SNF.  Down 17-0,  Kelly rallys team to force OT and then win it 23-20!

I was just going to mention that.  SNF on TNT still felt really weird.  Bruce's strip sack won us the game in overtime.  It was like we sleepwalked to a victory.

• Like (+1) 1