Most memorable opening game

BillsFan619

In honor of opening weekend, I thought it’d be fun to share our most memorable opening games with each other.

Mine is 1989 against the Dolphins. The Bills were down 24-20 with under two minutes to play and no timeouts. They started their drive at their own 49 yard line, thanks to a Nate Odomes interception. Several plays later, and with the clock ticking away, Kelly hits Reed around the four yard line. TICK, TICK, TICK, TICK (Chris Berman voice)! Kelly spikes the ball with 2 seconds left. A penalty by the Dolphins moves the ball a bit closer. Most know what happens next. Kelly runs in and scores the winning TD!!!

Two things of note

-That play became so popular that they came out with a Jim Kelly figure with him describing the play (yes, I had the figure)

-Most importantly, this win ended up deciding the division as the bills finished first at 9-7 and the Dolphins finished 8-8

What’s your most memorable opener?

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 3

1980 against the Dolphins. The Bills did not beat the Dolphins once in the entire decade of the 1970s. OJ never beat the Dolphins once in his Bills career. The Bills played great in 1980, one of their very best teams ever, and won the game 17-7. Joe Ferguson threw 5 interceptions but the defense came up big time after time, and the goalposts came down after the game.

The New England - Lawyer Milloy 31-0 shutout game is tough to beat for best played game but the Dolphins was most emotional.

• Like (+1) 13

18 minutes ago, Patience said:

I was born in the early '90s, so my favorite would have to be the 31-0 victory over the Pats in 2003.  The signing of Lawyer Milloy a week or so prior just added to the anticipation.  

14 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

For me has to be the 31-0 beatdown of the Pats in 2003.

Sadly the trip to Foxboro had the same score line but the other team winning.

Thanks for sharing. Great game also.

I agree, it was sad that it didn’t lead anywhere.

17 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Can there be any other answer than 1980 Bills-Dolphins?

89 Dolphins and the 2003 Sam Adams 31-0 beat down of the Patriots are great games but there is nothing to compare to tearing down the goal posts, Fred Smerlas dancing with fans, and the start of a great season.  

12 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

1980 against the Dolphins. The Bills did not beat the Dolphins once in the entire decade of the 1970s. OJ never beat the Dolphins once in his Bills career. The Bills played great in 1980, one of their very best teams ever, and won the game 17-7. Joe Ferguson threw 5 interceptions but the defense came up big time after time, and the goalposts came down after the game.

The New England - Lawyer Milloy 31-0 shutout game is tough to beat for best played game but the Dolphins was most emotional.

Thanks for sharing.

I was only three in 1980. So, it was a bit before my time. I’m sure it was awesome!

Edited by BillsFan619

Sept 8, 2002 - Jets at Bills.  Jets won in OT on a kickoff return from Chad Morton who also returned a kickoff for a TD in the 2nd Quarter.  You could have heard a pin drop as the crowd went silent as he scored.  

17 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

-That play became so popular that they came out with a Jim Kelly figure with him describing the play (yes, I had the figure)

I still have that, in the box, in my basement. 

Edited by Just Jack
  • Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

Two things of note

-Most importantly, this win ended up deciding the division as the bills finished first at 9-7 and the Dolphins finished 8-8

Good post! Another two points of note:

3. The Bills and Dolphins headed to the locker room after the TD since they thought the game was over, but the officials made everyone come back so the PAT could be attempted. I don't think the PAT was shown on TV. Now the NFL has changed the rule so no PAT on the final play of the 4th quarter if it would not affect the outcome.

4. Kelly said in an interview after the game that he was thinking to himself as he was running for the game-winning TD something along the lines of: "boy you better score or everyone's going to be p*ssed at you!".

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Patience said:

I was born in the early '90s, so my favorite would have to be the 31-0 victory over the Pats in 2003.  The signing of Lawyer Milloy a week or so prior just added to the anticipation.  

That memory is tainted by the fact that we went 5-11 that year and the Pats turned the table by beating us 31-0 in the season finale…

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, chongli said:

Good post! Another two points of note:

3. The Bills and Dolphins headed to the locker room after the TD since they thought the game was over, but the officials made everyone come back so the PAT could be attempted. I don't think the PAT was shown on TV. Now the NFL has changed the rule so no PAT on the final play of the 4th quarter if it would not affect the outcome.

4. Kelly said in an interview after the game that he was thinking to himself as he was running for the game-winning TD something along the lines of: "boy you better score or everyone's going to be p*ssed at you!".

Ohh, thanks for sharing, I didn’t know that.

Also, loved the Kelly thought that you shared.

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Can there be any other answer than 1980 Bills-Dolphins?

89 Dolphins and the 2003 Sam Adams 31-0 beat down of the Patriots are great games but there is nothing to compare to tearing down the goal posts, Fred Smerlas dancing with fans, and the start of a great season.  

There can be no other answer.  🎩

• Like (+1) 1

I'm having PTSD of so many awful opening game results during the drought:

2002 - Chad Morton runs the opening kickoff of OT back for the TD

2004 - last second pass from Byron Leftwich for the TD after Nate Clements could have just knocked the ball away on a previous 4th down

2007 - the Kevin Everett game with the Broncos sprinting on for the game winning FG

2009 - the Monday night debacle of a comeback vs the Patriots

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Bills vs Patriots 

Opening drive- Takeo Spikes strip sacks Tom Brady, and London Fletcher takes it to the house. I was at a Bills party and everyone went absolutely nuts. It was an outdoor party and drinks went flying and people started singing...

Unfortunately we ended up losing the game on a JP Losman safety, but there was that one moment of euphoria and hope that maybe we could defeat the mighty Patriots who had just won 3 of the last 4 Superbowls.

Edited by Allen2Diggs
  • Like (+1) 1

2004 week 1 vs Jacksonville: this was my first semester of college. Me and my Bills fan buddy were able to find a Damon’s down the street that was showing the game. We were clearly the better team all game and had no business losing that game. Jacksonville scored a TD on 4th and goal with no time left on a pass to the back of the end zone on a triple covered Ernest Wilford. He actually only got 1 foot down but at the time the “force out” rule was still in play and he was ruled in bounds. A heart breaking loss and with this win we would’ve made the playoffs and the drought never happens 

7 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Bills vs Patriots 

Opening drive- Takeo Spikes strip sacks Tom Brady, and London Fletcher takes it to the house. I was at a Bills party and everyone went absolutely nuts. It was an outdoor party and drinks went flying and people started singing...

Unfortunately we ended up losing the game on a JP Losman safety, but there was that one moment of euphoria and hope that maybe we could defeat the mighty Patriots who had just won 3 of the last 4 Superbowls.

Literally watched some of this video yesterday and this one really hurt. 

1 minute ago, mushypeaches said:

2004 - last second pass from Byron Leftwich for the TD after Nate Clements could have just knocked the ball away on a previous 4th down

2007 - the Kevin Everett game with the Broncos sprinting on for the game winning FG

2007 game, but for all the wrong reasons.  I've never heard the stadium more quiet than when Everett was down on the field.  

Only real highlight was Roscoe Parrish returning a punt and jumping into our group.  

Then in the final seconds Denver has zero timeouts.  Then run their kicking team out, make the FG as time expires to win 15-14.  

23 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Yeah, those were some hard openers. Thankfully, those teams dashed our hopes right away as fans.

Actually, who am I kidding, those were the years where we were wondering if we could pull out five wins in a row with three other teams needing to lose four out of five for us to make the playoffs. 😜🤣

Thankfully, we’re not that team anymore. Go Bills!

Edited by BillsFan619