What it's like to play with Cole Beasley and Sanders on the same team?

Interview with SMU's former QB, now playing in the CFL:

https://www.wivb.com/sports/cfl-qb-shares-what-its-like-to-play-with-beasley-sanders-on-same-team/

“Emmanuel is the kind of guy, I think he’s kind of like Mike Jordan,” Mitchell said. “He’s not going to stop playing until he beats you. The crazy thing about [Beasley] is the guy was not not good at anything. He could 360 dunk and he’s like 5’7″, 5’8″ if that. (not a big dude) yeah, not a big dude but in his mind he’s the biggest dude out there so.”

Apparently there are pitfalls:

“So with him he would get up there and do some of those shakes and some times it was so hard to predict what he was going to do,” Mitchell said. “I can’t tell you how many times he would break on a dig and I would throw a corner and there was nobody there and everybody is looking at me like what is wrong with this dude. I had those two guys as receivers and I can say it with pride now because of what I do but I led the nation in interceptions. 132 teams… that’s not easy to do.”

I remember an interview with Beasley where he talked about how he and Josh look at film and discuss what he's going to do against certain coverages - and then he (Beasley) has to do that, even if in the moment he sees something else will work better "or there are going to be a lot of INTs".

Thad Brown put this up as an example of extraordinary effort, but it seems to me it's an example of necessary effort.

Clearly on the first pass, Allen and Beasley weren't on the same page about which option Beasley would run.

On the second, Beasley ran the same route he ran on the first rep and Allen threw that route.

On the third, Beasley ran the route Allen threw to on the first rep, and Allen threw to the same route as the first rep

It's really the minimum needed to get on the same page, with a WR like Beasley

The dude commentating the Denver game last year made it sound as though Beasley could just go out there and run whatever route he wanted in the moment, but that's clearly Baloney

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 7

Beasely is like Hogan’s name.  He is the next 7/11.  He’s always open.  Just watch the all 22.  I know Josh often is looking for a deeper option and he should, but you hardly ever see Beasely blanketed.  I don’t like the other thing, but there is no denying he is our Edelman.  Can’t wait for this year as the crew improved.

thanks for sharing Hap..

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Beasely is like Hogan’s name.  He is the next 7/11.  He’s always open.  Just watch the all 22.  I know Josh often is looking for a deeper option and he should, but you hardly ever see Beasely blanketed.  I don’t like the other thing, but there is no denying he is our Edelman.  Can’t wait for this year as the crew improved.

thanks for sharing Hap..

I thought it was interesting for the insight on how critically important it is to put that work in and have the QB and WR be on the same page

It may be that Cole is much more effective playing for Daboll as OC and with Allen as QB, because the former is more willing to utilize what he does well and the latter is willing to put in the time in the film room and on the field to get on the same page and avoid the interceptions.

I also think that it's going to be Big for Allen to "take what the defense gives him", not force it, and dink-and-dunk down the field if he must.

• Like (+1) 4

My prediction is we're going to find out Sunday and then learn more every subsequent game day.

I also predict Daboll will scheme up plays where Allen throws it to both of them and eventually one or both will make a TD catch.

That's what it's probably gonna be like to play with Cole Beasley and Emmanuel Sanders. 

7 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

My prediction is we're going to find out Sunday and then learn more every subsequent game day.

I also predict Daboll will scheme up plays where Allen throws it to both of them and eventually one or both will make a TD catch.

That's what it's probably gonna be like to play with Cole Beasley and Emmanuel Sanders. 

BOLD, if true.....

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought it was interesting for the insight on how critically important it is to put that work in and have the QB and WR be on the same page

It may be that Cole is much more effective playing for Daboll as OC and with Allen as QB, because the former is more willing to utilize what he does well and the latter is willing to put in the time in the film room and on the field to get on the same page and avoid the interceptions.

I also think that it's going to be Big for Allen to "take what the defense gives him", not force it, and dink-and-dunk down the field if he must.

Some folks have been wondering how the media that seemed hesitant to anoint Allen the next great qb even after last year seem to now be quickly bringing him into that conversation. It could be recency bias, but I think the way Allen moved the team down the field in the preseason against the Packers was taken as an indication that he's matured to the point that he is willing to move slowly down the field if that is what the defense dictates. If Josh doesn't get impatient, you won't be able to stop him; and there will always be the big plays, so this is not an argument to become a dink-and-dunk team for those who are worried about that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

This may be the most positive post I've ever seen from you. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This may be the most positive post I've ever seen from you. :thumbsup:

People want predictions on everything...I'm here to calm their anxieties and fears with real life answers.  

It's like a few years ago, someone wondered about what would happen if Allen's backup got hurt.  Not Allen, but Matt Barkley.  I helped the poster out by telling them it didn't matter and they needed to take off their diaper.  

• Haha (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is a spot on great post with excellent points.  I dont  know Dabols real value BUT the current combination works incredibly well.

34 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Some folks have been wondering how the media that seemed hesitant to anoint Allen the next great qb even after last year seem to now be quickly bringing him into that conversation. It could be recency bias, but I think the way Allen moved the team down the field in the preseason against the Packers was taken as an indication that he's matured to the point that he is willing to move slowly down the field if that is what the defense dictates. If Josh doesn't get impatient, you won't be able to stop him; and there will always be the big plays, so this is not an argument to become a dink-and-dunk team for those who are worried about that.

Agree with it all.  As to the bolded it is one big thing for him to improve on this year.  I liked how he threw the ball twice into the ground when

a play blew up in the GB game.  I would add if he keeps the fumbles down to a minimum it could be a great year for him.

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

If Josh doesn't get impatient, you won't be able to stop him; and there will always be the big plays, so this is not an argument to become a dink-and-dunk team for those who are worried about that.

Some guy with seven rings has made a pretty good living by dinking and dunking with the occasional big play, so I'm not worried a bit about Josh doing that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

The combination of those two on this team will be dynamic.  They can move Sanders around outside or inside and he can beat both man and zone.  The operation of both those guys from the slot, on the same or different sides, is going to be fun to watch.  Pittsburgh, for example, simply does not have the personnel to match up to this, especially with Diggs and Davis ready to burn you outside.  

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

Excellent point.  Unlike other teams, like Pittsburgh and New England, that will try to play that short, quick passing game, Buffalo possesses two “cheat codes” in the slot in Beasley and Sanders, and they also posses a QB who has the skill set to burn you down field at any time.  Buffalos’ mid to long passing game was outstanding last year, but at times Josh was impatient as you point out.  I expect there to be some shift in the O Thisbe year and that will be a major improvement area for Allen.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I agree, they were looking for regression and he showed none so it is a lot easier to accept he is that damn good.

• Like (+1) 1

So imagine if you will, your defense has to cover the most productive WR in the NFL last year, 2 other 1000 yard WRS (I’m giving it to Beas for last year) who thrive in the middle of the field, but who can both go outside, and a 2nd year guy who’s 6’-2” with 4.5 speed that’s already coming off a 600 yard rookie season.. oh amd

everybody else… 

WTF do you do?

I was watching some videos breaking down film on Allen, and it's actually pretty great knowing he still has so much room to grow, despite how good he is already. 

The reason I say this is because one of his more obvious weaknesses was placement & touch on his quick throw to flats. Whether it be a RB or a quick slot WR, he often throws a bit behind and/or too high, causing them to leave their feet and/or turn around. But with 2 guys that have proven excellent in the slot like Beasley & Sanders, I expect that to be an area Josh greatly improves this year & adds another weapon to his repertoire. 

I'm excited Sanders is here, as he'll not only be another reliable target on offense, but his experience will help Josh a lot.