Week 1: Steelers at Bills

YoloinOhio

16 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

I'm already pre-proud of Singletary and Moss always taking the right blitzer and always taking him out.

In empty sets, the Stealers won't get there in nearly enough time, someone is going to be very open. You can't cover Diggs, Beasley, Sanders and Davis, you just can't do it. I could envision a lot of PI calls against the Stealers trying KC's defense but we're healthy now and that ain't going to work. Josh might even have his pick of open targets.

Could this game be the game that shows Bills fans the big gainer is part of the game plan this year? I mean not just throwing it but connecting on it..... with some regularity?

Is it going to be as Stephon says? Is it going to be Diggs?  Hmmmmm, sometimes. Mostly I think it's Sanders or even more likely, Davis.

I dont want Moss or Singletary having anything to do with blocking Watt.  I want Williams for that.

I'm a little confused on your big gainer line.  Josh has always pushed the ball down the field with high air yards per attempt and air yards per completion (these did come down last year).  So they have shown that hitting the big 20+ play is part of the game plan.

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It's interesting that sacks don't quite line up with time to throw. 

For example, a lot of the QB who hold the ball the longest (Jackson 13, Murray 27, Allen 26) aren't the highest in sacks - because they're so mobile.

Other mobile QB like Wilson 47 and Watson 49 did take a lot of sacks, I would guess reflecting them waiting for a throwing lane that never opened.

Roethlisberger didn't throw a lot of picks (until the playoff game against the Brownies) but some of the QB who get rid of the ball quickly like Fitzpatrick and Smith, did so at the expense of INTs at times

We helped Ben close to a regular season low on completion % and close to a regular season high on INT, let's do it again.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's interesting that sacks don't quite line up with time to throw. 

For example, a lot of the QB who hold the ball the longest (Jackson 13, Murray 27, Allen 26) aren't the highest in sacks - because they're so mobile.

Other mobile QB like Wilson 47 and Watson 49 did take a lot of sacks, I would guess reflecting them waiting for a throwing lane that never opened.

Roethlisberger didn't throw a lot of picks (until the playoff game against the Brownies) but some of the QB who get rid of the ball quickly like Fitzpatrick and Smith, did so at the expense of INTs at times

We helped Ben close to a regular season low on completion % and close to a regular season high on INT, let's do it again.

So Ben had little time to throw the ball last season and his O Line  has major changes and arguably one of the worst lines in the NFL.  Doesnt seem like Big Ben going to have much time to throw.

11 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

So Ben had little time to throw the ball last season and his O Line  has major changes and arguably one of the worst lines in the NFL.  Doesnt seem like Big Ben going to have much time to throw.

It'll be interesting to see how many holding calls go against Pittsburgh also. For all the hype surrounding Harris, not sure he's gonna be too productive behind an O line that for the most part is patchwork

Edited by buffalo2218
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Listening to sports radio here in Pittsburgh,  they all but admit the Steelers don't have much of a chance. Even Mark Madden has changed his mind.

Which is funny because i'm the exact opposite. All this summer and even into the start of this week i've been adamant we'd boat race them, and now i'm getting gun shy and losing my nerve. LOL.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Bigvinny said:

It's not. Most of the country will see the Bills game. Unless you have a regional game. I am getting Jets/Panthers.

I am actually interested to see the Jets/Panthers game. Love the storylines with Wilson starting his first game vs Darnold looking for revenge. I'll be keeping a close eye on it during the commercials 

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Listening to sports radio here in Pittsburgh,  they all but admit the Steelers don't have much of a chance. Even Mark Madden has changed his mind.

Looks to me like the Steelers are going to have a few rough years ahead of themselves  All the teams in their conference look to have the future rock star franchise QBs,   amazing the drop from being considered one of the best teams in the NFL a mere 10 months ago.  Now they have an aged over the hell QB they have to replace.  Put Ben's age in context, he is the same class from the one and only JP Losman.  IMO they kept Ben one year too many, this will make it 2 too many. They missed a heck of a QB class.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I don’t know that I’d characterize it as Ben having little time to throw as I would he took little time to throw which was by design. He was seldom pressured and only sacked 13 times on over 600 passing attempts. What I find most interesting is that nearly 60% of his passes were short of the first down marker according to PFF. Such a departure from the Big Ben we were used to watching.

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I don’t know that I’d characterize it as Ben having little time to throw as I would he took little time to throw which was by design. He was seldom pressured and only sacked 13 times on over 600 passing attempts. What I find most interesting is that nearly 60% of his passes were short of the first down marker according to PFF. Such a departure from the Big Ben we were used to watching.

Good point.  I looked up JuJu Schuster average yards per reception, he had averaged 13.9 his first three years, last year it plummeted to 8.6.  So yes Big Ben throwing it quickly (and short).  We are really going to be able to compress them offensively.  Run, Run and short pass....punt.

11 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Looks to me like the Steelers are going to have a few rough years ahead of themselves  All the teams in their conference look to have the future rock star franchise QBs,   amazing the drop from being considered one of the best teams in the NFL a mere 10 months ago.  Now they have an aged over the hell QB they have to replace.  Put Ben's age in context, he is the same class from the one and only JP Losman.  IMO they kept Ben one year too many, this will make it 2 too many. They missed a heck of a QB class.

Steelers can only blame themselves. They let oline go to hell, then this past off season instead of fix it, they double down on skill guys. Not the Steeler way. 

Its a bit delusional. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

✍️

As long as they don't take a cheap shot as he's going to the ground...*cough*Pats*cough*

I'd rather he stay upright in the pocket, but I'm sure Allen welcomes the challenge.

Sometimes the Bills need a shot of toughness to get them into the game and I'm fine with Allen providing that.

3 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Actually you can't blame him for saying that lol. What a dumb question though. 

Why is it a dumb question?

There are plenty of potential answers that make for good writing material to a reporter.