Week 1: Steelers at Bills

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Lothar said:

I see that one of the Steelers beat reporter's sons is a Bills fan - gotta love it.

https://twitter.com/AKinkhabwala/status/1435651545840881670

Our 6-year old has been #BillsMafia for 4 years

I wonder if it was the end of the playoff drought that turned his two-year old self 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 9/7/2021 at 2:20 PM, MJS said:

Actually, I'm a little nervous about the game too. I do think the Bills should win it, but I expect it to be closer than expected and I would not be shocked by a loss. The Steelers are a good organization. Big Ben always starts out strong before his age wears him down throughout the season.

Or, the Bills come out guns blazing and lump the Steelers up. But I feel like the Bills usually start slow on the first game of the season and it takes a couple of quarters for Josh to settle down. But certainly the Bills offense was clicking on all cylinders this off-season, so maybe those days are behind us and they are truly dominant now.

I don't know. Watching Allen and the offense in that last preseason game, it looked like the whole offense was clicking. Plus, many of these guys were in the AFC championship game last year. I think these guys are about to open up a can of whoop ass. I think they are super focused and getting the crowd noise back is going to a huge benefit. Just don't see them letting the hyped up crowd faze them negatively.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

From another angle 

There's multiple things I ike in this clip

- Josh's quick combination

- How Josh quickly gets down on a knee like a kid who's been caught, while Diggs doesn't GAF

- The player and trainer at the end who look behind at them with no reaction at all "Oh it's just Josh and Diggs rolling around on the ground together again"

I really don't like the idea of Star not being 100% and a full go at this point.  As much as he's been kind of a sacrificial lamb, his absence last year was one of the most significant reasons our run defense got noticeably worse than the year before.  And I really expect Najae Harris to be a big part of the Steelers game plan this week.

All of that combined with my continued lack of faith in Edmunds as any kind of a true run stuffing MLB has me slightly worried about our D on Sunday.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, stevewin said:

There's multiple things I ike in this clip

- Josh's quick combination

- How Josh quickly gets down on a knee like a kid who's been caught, while Diggs doesn't GAF

- The player and trainer at the end who look behind at them with no reaction at all "Oh it's just Josh and Diggs rolling around on the ground together again"

I like how Josh puts an arm down then you can see him decide "OK, I'll let the little fella roll me" and go over

Reminds me of how my neighbor's 120 lb dog still lets our 40 lb dog take her down, like she did when she was a puppy.

And yeah, Kahale Waring and Knox and Ford and a bunch of assistants just standing around like "yeah yeah nothing to see here"

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

I don’t believe either Frazier or I said that sacks don’t matter; not even close. The point he is making and which I agree with is that sacks aren’t the ONLY indicator of an effective pass rush. And hurries DO tend to result in more turnovers. 

Regarding that “average” time to throw the ball, cue up some Steeler games and determine the median time to throw from last season. That Steeler offense was specifically designed to mitigate BR’s worsening ability to avoid pressure and protect him, so it was a steady diet of two and three step drops out of the shotgun and throw the ball. The longer developing deep shots were fewer and farther between than the quick hits, which is why the average time to throw was just above two seconds. 

I agree with everything you state.  I however would counter that sacks is a credible stat.  The two top teams in sacks last year were also the two top teams in points given up.  It's not an absolute correlation but 3 of the top 5 sack total teams were also 3 of the top 5 in points given up.  Bills were middle of the road in both sacks and points given up last year.   If they convert 8-10 hurries into sacks it will be transformative for the defense.  

I would also add, the WR's can only get so far down the filed in a 2 or 3 step drop.  So you need to teach rush and get your hands up on the DL and the DB's and LB's need to sit in the short zones.  McD's defense should be perfect to counter the short passing game approach.  

10 minutes ago, JohninMinn. said:

It all depends on #49

As much as I rip on Edmunds I actually am not worried about him.  He was terrible last year and I don't really think he can play worse with the talent he has.  I am optimistic he will play better this year. He is a year wiser and he is healthier.  Also Klein came around and started to play well later in the season.  It will be interesting to see how McD and Frazier mixes in Klein and Milano with Edmunds.  Late in the season he started to move Edmunds outside and played Klein at MLB.  As much as I want to see Edmunds move outside permanently, I didn't see any impact plays from him lining up outside.  Will be fun to watch.  

• Like (+1) 1