Week 1: Steelers at Bills

YoloinOhio

18 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm guessing from this response that you didn't actually read the post in this thread where I explained exactly why I think the Steelers will win this one. I listed EXACTLY why I think they take it: Good head coach who isn't going to take two straight losses to the Bills lightly, a fresher Big Ben, an improved running game with Najee Harris, a healthier defense than the Bills have face the last two times out, and the Bills players being too hyped up in front of the raucous crowd (a phenomenon we've seen before with this team). I listed at least as many and as valid a set of reasons for my prediction as you did for yours.

As for "guys like me"....again, not so sure you know what you're talking about here. I'm a pretty relentlessly optimistic person, and I said in that same post that I expect the Bills to win 12 or 13 games this year. Assuming you don't believe they'll win all 17 (which I do not), it seems reasonable and necessary to predict a loss every now and again. Predicting that one of said losses comes against a high quality head coach with a Hall of Fame quarterback isn't exactly ground-breaking stuff.

I'm not saying anyone has to agree with me -- I recognize that mine is the minority opinion. But to suggest that I didn't explain why I'm predicting a loss or that I'm some type of consistently negative poster is inaccurate and a poor characterization.

It's not. I believe the Bills will win 12 or 13 games this year and take the division. I just don't think they'll win all 17 games. 

Actually, I'm a little nervous about the game too. I do think the Bills should win it, but I expect it to be closer than expected and I would not be shocked by a loss. The Steelers are a good organization. Big Ben always starts out strong before his age wears him down throughout the season.

Or, the Bills come out guns blazing and lump the Steelers up. But I feel like the Bills usually start slow on the first game of the season and it takes a couple of quarters for Josh to settle down. But certainly the Bills offense was clicking on all cylinders this off-season, so maybe those days are behind us and they are truly dominant now.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah but then there's this:

Really hope that Star is well enough to start Sunday.  My hope is he lines up between RG Trai Turner and the rookie center and does his

best to neutralize Turner.  If he can do that he can let the rest of the DL handle the day. 

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm just curious: am I the lone soul picking the Steelers to win this one? It sure feels that way.

Hi Debbie.

Tomlin is a great coach, and Roethlisberger legit in the convo as having a HOF career.  The Steelers clearly took steps to improve their run game by drafting Harris and two OLmen and signing Trai Turner.  They clearly took steps to improve their short passing game by signing Ebron and drafting Freiermuth.

But there's a reason why the OLmen who were the Bills 3rd and 4th draft picks are listed as backups, and our 2nd round pick is #3 on the depth chart right now, and that reason does not favor the thought that Najee Harris will automatically equate to the Stillers ability to run all over us.  He is a rookie playing behind a young raw OL.

That OL also may impact Big Ben's ability to get the ball into the hands of their playmakers. 

Just granting them the "palm" of an improved offense, would be like granting the Bills the "palm" of a vastly improved DL and defense, on the basis of preseason.  Yeah, Rousseau and Epenesa have looked good, but they have to show they can "Bring It" on Sunday in the regular season.    Big Ben looked great against the Lions - and "Ditto".

The Steelers elite defense got taken by the Bills last year for a solid 335 yds, and that was after needing to make offensive adjustments.  Their star DE is on IR and they lost two excellent CB in FA.  So they have some questionmarks, which they have a need to prove they have filled adequately.

For reference what you wrote:

The Bills have beaten them the last two times out, sure, but this game feels different to me. Duck Hodges will not be the quarterback. We will be seeing Roethlisberger right at the start of the season, rather than later in the season, meaning that his arm should be fresher. The Steelers defense will be healthier than the last couple times we played them -- even though Stephon Tuitt being out is a big blow. Najee Harris should add a dimension to their offense that it lacked last year.

At the end of the day, Mike Tomlin is a great coach, Big Ben is a Hall of Fame quarterback, they have a great corps of offensive playmakers, and their defense is likely to be elite. As previously mentioned, I also expect our guys to be a little too hyper in front of the raucous crowd.

• Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

Actually, I'm a little nervous about the game too. I do think the Bills should win it, but I expect it to be closer than expected and I would not be shocked by a loss. The Steelers are a good organization. Big Ben always starts out strong before his age wears him down throughout the season.

Or, the Bills come out guns blazing and lump the Steelers up. But I feel like the Bills usually start slow on the first game of the season and it takes a couple of quarters for Josh to settle down. But certainly the Bills offense was clicking on all cylinders this off-season, so maybe those days are behind us and they are truly dominant now.

You're right, never know what can happen with these games. But if I'm a Steelers fan I'm a little worried how the different OL with rookie C is going to hold up. Think their LT is a rookie also right? Anyway, how they do up front will be a big factor.

• Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Shouldn't Metallica's Seek and Destroy be the theme song all season?

The geek in me would have them play League of Legends "Rise" - Glitch Mob (among others).

The lyrics just fit... IMO

"Welcome to the wild, no heroes and villains
Welcome to the war, we've only begun, so
Pick up your weapon and face it
There's blood on the crown, go and take it
You get one shot to make it out alive, so

Higher and higher you chase it
It's deep in your bones, go and take it
This is your moment, now is your time, so

Prove yourself and...

RISE, RISE
Make 'em remember you
RISE
Push through hell and
RISE, RISE
They will remember you
RISE

Welcome to the climb up, reach for the summit
Visions pray that one false step lead the end, so

Higher and higher you chase it
It's deep in your blood, go and take it
This is your moment, take to the skies, go

Prove yourself and...

RISE, RISE
Make 'em remember you
RISE
Push through hell and
RISE, RISE
They will remember you
RISE

So get along, so get along, go
Get along 'long go a lil' harder
So get along, so get along, go
Get along 'long go a lil' harder

And as you fight among the death beneath the dirt
Do you know yet?
Do you want it?
And when the giants call to ask you what you're worth
Do you know if
Win or die, you'll

Prove yourself and...

RISE, RISE
Make 'em remember you
RISE
Push through hell and
RISE, RISE
They will remember you
RISE
Prove yourself and

RISE, RISE
(Pick up your weapon and face it)
RISE
(It's deep in your blood, go and take it)
RISE, RISE
(Higher and higher you chase it)
RISE
RISE, RISE

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I'm just curious: am I the lone soul picking the Steelers to win this one? It sure feels that way.

Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I think we’re in for a close game. Early season Ben has a lot of weapons at his disposal. Like many have said, keys for them will be corner and oline play. While we’ve beat them the last 2 years, I was always a lot more uncomfortable throughout the game than I’d hoped.  Steelers are a well-coached, prideful bunch who won’t roll over.  

• Agree 1

Look
If you had
One shot
Or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
In one moment
Would you capture it
Or just let it slip?

You better lose yourself in the music, the moment
You own it, you better never let it go
You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime

(Lyrics from Lose Yourself by Eminem. Message sent.)

LET'S @%##^$#% GO

Edited by Ray Stonada
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

Look
If you had
One shot
Or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
In one moment
Would you capture it
Or just let it slip?

LET'S @%##^$#% GO

lotta Steelers are gonna have mom’s spaghetti on their black and yellow jerseys come Sunday afternoon!

1 hour ago, Nineforty said:

what do you do if you have a flip phone?  snarky replies are welcome as well as real ones. 

haha.  Calla the Bills directly, they should be able to hook you up. 

BTW, the line in that email about “all tickets are mobile-only” is patently false… Ticketmaster gave the option of standard paper tickets shipped to your house.  At least during the initial round of on-sale back in the spring.

Edited by RiotAct
  • Awesome! (+1) 2