First time EVER playing Fantasy... I pick 1st in our draft tomorrow

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I see you've never been in an auction where they pick the worst players to nominate at the start. So you sit for an hour while kickers and 7th string wrs get bid on three times with 1 second left on the clock. I'd much rather sit and wait 20 picks 

I've never been in a league like that. Who wants to draft crappy players?  You may nominate a player you don't necessarily want on your roster, but you don't risk getting stuck with a bad player. If you nominate Peterman, you're gonna have him on your roster.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, nucci said:

why would you want to pick a player then wait while 20 players get picked and you just sit and watch? Auction is fun ,exciting and stressful. It does take some effort and I know many would just prefer to wait for their pick, but that's boring to me

that's the fun part....I guess you prefer to watch 20 players go off the board while you wait your turn? 

I'm commish of our league and there are no complicated rules

Because it’s fun too.  Been doing fantasy drafts since the late 80s.  90% of them have been snake.  I had fun in all of them.  

Are your leagues online on a computer at your house or are they in person, with a draft board, lots of food, beers and friends. I don’t just sit there and watch.  I drink, eat, talk smack, play Jedi mind tricks on other owners regarding other players.  

I’m also in 2 auction keeper leagues.  They’re fun and allow you to put together more dominant teams (imo).  I enjoy them.

the thing I find most annoying in fantasy are leagues which have waiver wire pick ups based on record.  FAAB is the only way to go imo.

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 1

Never done an auction draft but would like to do one sometime. I guess the strategy with auctions would be to nominate players you don't actually want on your team but that you think will receive multiple bids. That way other league owners end up spending their cap space on players you never even intended on drafting which frees up more cap space for you to bid on the players you do want. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Because it’s fun too.  Been doing fantasy drafts since the late 80s.  90% of them have been snake.  I had fun in all of them.  

Are your leagues online on a computer at your house or are they in person, with a draft board, lots of food, beers and friends. I don’t just sit there and watch.  I drink, eat, talk small, play Jedi mind tricks on other owners regarding other players.  

I’m also in 2 auction keeper leagues.  They’re fun and allow you to put together more dominant teams (imo).  I enjoy them.

the thing I find most annoying in fantasy are leagues which have waiver wire pick ups based on record.  FAAB is the only way to go imo.

yep

10 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Never done an auction draft but would like to do one sometime. I guess the strategy with auctions would be to nominate players you don't actually want on your team but that you think will receive multiple bids. That way other league owners end up spending their cap space on players you never even intended on drafting which frees up more cap space for you to bid on the players you do want. 

Not really, sometimes you may want to do that to shape the draft a certain way, but sometimes you know who you want/need, you know how much money you have left and realize that you may not have the money later. Get that player now.

This year I had Lamb and Cooper, I wanted Dak so I nominated him when I knew I still had enough to slightly overpay if I needed to.

Your strategy changes throughout the auction, because it's so dynamic. That's the fun part for me. You are constantly engaged, unlike the snake where last night I went out back to catch a buzz while waiting 32 picks because I lost my 2nd round pick due to a keeper.

Edited by klos63

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have done all four of my fantasy drafts now. Didn't get Josh in any, I am not generally a QB early guy, I ended up with Wilson x1, Rodgers x1, Stafford x1 and Tannehill x1 as starting Quarterbacks. I was picking first in the snake draft when I took Tannehill and wrongly calculated there would still be a Quarterback left by the 6th round after my back to back 4th and 5th rounders and then there was a major run.... oh well. Quarterbacks rarely make or break fantasy seasons. 

I do have Diggs in a couple of leagues (had him in all 4 last year because he lasted way too long), I have Devin in a couple too because the running back pool thins out quickly and I do think he will emerge as more of a RB1 this year for the Bills rather than a genuine timeshare.... but I don't love him as a fantasy prospect because Josh, Moss and Gilliam are all potential redzone vultures. Also got Tyler Bass twice and in the one IDP league I play I have Tre White. 

The non-Bill I have most of is Michael Pittman who I have in 3/4 leagues. I think he is going way too late. While I have my doubts about Carson Wentz's ability to be good in Indy the fact is with Hilton out for the first 4-6 weeks they need to throw to someone and Pittman has a real chance to solidify himself as a WR1. 

In the league you have Tannehill, is Jamie’s Winston available?  If so, grab him as a backup.  He is going to put up a top 10 Fantasy season at QB this year.  

I have drafted 3 leagues so far, in 2 of them I have both Diggs and Allen, in the other one (which was my first draft of the year) I have Stafford and Winston.  Like you, I did not expect a massive QB run early.  When I was on the clock in the 6th, the only 2 QBs left were Stafford or Tannehill.  Now for me, I targeted Stafford was a QB target to grab later as my starter, but thought I’d do that at like round 9, but got forced to grab him early at 6.  Stafford is going to push for 5000 yards this year, so I was happy to snag him, just wish it was later. 

In every other draft, Stafford was still on the board in double digit rounds.  Which is a little crazy to me, because when Stafford had weapons he was a perennial top 5 fantasy QB despite being on bad teams.  I think he returns to top 5 status this year with receivers again, a better OL, and McVay.  

15 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Yup.  I usually go with the same strategy every year in regards to spending money.  I spend $24-30 ($100 auction) on one top RB;  rarely spend over $17 on anyone else;  that allows me to bid 3-4$ on several players down the stretch that other owners think they’ll get for 1 or 2.  Money is power during an auction draft. 

23 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Are your leagues online on a computer at your house or are they in person, with a draft board, lots of food, beers and friends. I don’t just sit there and watch.  I drink, eat, talk smack, play Jedi mind tricks on other owners regarding other players.  

yes, unfortunately we're informal online as we have players on on east coast, west and midwest. You are correct,  FAAB is the only way to do waivers, 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Auction is better - much more of intellectual challenge.

I like both Auction and Snake.  The issue with auction is that it takes so much longer to complete a draft.  Every one I’ve done has taken twice as long as a snake draft every time.  

I’m not in any this year, but that’s because everyone in all four of the leagues I’m in keep voting against it when we vote to switch.  They are either long time leagues, so they don’t want to switch or they have never done one and feel they would be at a disadvantage if they did against those who have done them before.  

But I do like both personally

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I like both Auction and Snake.  The issue with auction is that it takes so much longer to complete a draft.  Every one I’ve done has taken twice as long as a snake draft every time.  

I’m not in any this year, but that’s because everyone in all four of the leagues I’m in keep voting against it when we vote to switch.  They are either long time leagues, so they don’t want to switch or they have never done one and feel they would be at a disadvantage if they did against those who have done them before.  

But I do like both personally

on average auction takes longer. You have to set nomination times and bid times to reduce that. Also some teams are finished before others and you have a couple of teams filling out their roster so you can complete in a shorter time than some. Not perfect but you don't watch players you want get drafted and feel helpless

No QB should be taken #1 in any fantasy football draft unless it’s a custom league where passing touchdowns count as the same as rushing touchdowns.

However, in standard leagues, they don’t. Did you notice that no other QBs got taken in the top 20 other than maybe Mahomes? That should be an indication to you that you did something stupid.

I appreciate that you’re just getting started, but you made a guaranteed mistake and I’m sure everyone in the league who knows anything either laughed or rolled their eyes when they saw the pick.

3 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

NEVER NEVER NEVER …. Did I say never?  Never pick a quarterback in the first round, especially with the #1 pick

I took Josh Allen with #1 pick .. but I'm a newbie and winging it.  Where was your advice a week ago?  I was wondering why everyone else was picking RB's.  Here's my squad: Kicker is Blankenship (Indy) or Tyler Bass.

players.thumb.png.23c7c17c536baae6fd550c41b04ada54.png

Edited by DallasBillsFan1

4 minutes ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

I took Josh Allen with #1 pick .. but I'm a newbie and winging it.  Where was your advice a week ago?  I was wondering why everyone else was picking RB's.  Here's my squad: Kicker is Blankenship (Indy) or Tyler Bass.

you have good WRs and top RB. Well done. QBs should get 6 pts for a TD...you'll do well

Edited by nucci

6 minutes ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

For a newbie that's a pretty good first draft.  The JA pick is a reach/homer pick but that's okay - at least you can root for your fantasy team as much as your real favorite team 😄  Out of curiosity is the scoring for the league 4 points or 6 points for a passing TD?  Personally I would check the free agents available because there is likely a RB or WR that will have better production than Gabe.

46 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

In the league you have Tannehill, is Jamie’s Winston available?  If so, grab him as a backup.  He is going to put up a top 10 Fantasy season at QB this year.  

I have drafted 3 leagues so far, in 2 of them I have both Diggs and Allen, in the other one (which was my first draft of the year) I have Stafford and Winston.  Like you, I did not expect a massive QB run early.  When I was on the clock in the 6th, the only 2 QBs left were Stafford or Tannehill.  Now for me, I targeted Stafford was a QB target to grab later as my starter, but thought I’d do that at like round 9, but got forced to grab him early at 6.  Stafford is going to push for 5000 yards this year, so I was happy to snag him, just wish it was later. 

In every other draft, Stafford was still on the board in double digit rounds.  Which is a little crazy to me, because when Stafford had weapons he was a perennial top 5 fantasy QB despite being on bad teams.  I think he returns to top 5 status this year with receivers again, a better OL, and McVay.  

Nah Winston is gone. My backup is Matt Ryan which I don't feel great about either because I think Smith will try and run it a lot more in Atlanta than they have traditionally (although their D might be so bad they have to pass). The other guys still available are Big Ben, Cousins, Wentz, Jimmy G, Goff, Bridgewater, D. Jones, Dalton (lol), Mac Jones... 

I mean maybe D. Jones because at least he runs a bit too? Just don't trust the Giants.

I did manage to snag CMc, Jonathan Taylor, DK Metcalf and Darren Waller with my first 4 picks so I have a solid base if Tanny can do just enough each week. We will see. 

I have Stafford twice. One as a starter and one as a backup on my other squads. I am done now though. 4 teams per year is my limit haha.

8 hours ago, maddenboy said:

I picked first today, in an 8 team ppr league.  I agonized between JA17 and a RB.  I gambled and took RB McCaffrey, and lucked into JA in round 2 (somebody took mahomes first.  Dummass)

I also have JA17 in my 12 team league.  Took him probably 2 rounds 'too early' (1st round, 9th overall), because some dummass took Mahomes 6th and I was NOT about to eff around.  And I'm now locked into enjoying my team all season.  Worth it.

Must be nice...Got McCaffrey in my keeper league but can't get Josh.

6 hours ago, nucci said:

1st mistake is doing a snake draft and not auction draft. Snake limits who you can draft

Once you do an auction draft you'll never go back - been doing one in my league for about 15 years. I do play a couple of leagues for fun and then I'll do a snake draft because they are faster - did a 10 round draft in less than 45 minutes last night.

• Like (+1) 1

I am in a pretty competitive 12 team league that I won last year with Allen and Diggs, so I had the last pick in the first, and still managed to get Allen and Diggs again. (Diggs at 1/2 and Allen at 3/4) 

The funny thing was, this year, even though no one else in the league is a Bills fan, they all wanted Bills players on their team. Beasley, Bass, Moss and Bills D all went ahead of where I would have taken them. When I asked why, everyone said they just wanted a piece of this team because they are fun to watch and they want to get in on the excitement. That was so cool to hear!

20 minutes ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

For a newbie that's a pretty good first draft.  The JA pick is a reach/homer pick but that's okay - at least you can root for your fantasy team as much as your real favorite team 😄  Out of curiosity is the scoring for the league 4 points or 6 points for a passing TD?  Personally I would check the free agents available because there is likely a RB or WR that will have better production than Gabe.

Thanks.  I'm on NFL Fantasy and Passing TD's are 4 points.