First time EVER playing Fantasy... I pick 1st in our draft tomorrow

2 hours ago, nucci said:

1st mistake is doing a snake draft and not auction draft. Snake limits who you can draft

Auction is by far the most fun and truly seperates the good FF players. Unfortunately, my two league club dissolved this year after 16 years. Sux. Now my only outlet is in an online snake draft with a dude i know who moved out of state and a bunch if his new buddies.

Edited by BUFFALOKIE
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Interesting.  I’ve been playing FFB for years and have never done an auction draft either.  I like the snake draft, but I suppose it’s worthy of investigating further.

Agreed on not taking a QB 1st overall, but if you’re in a 2 QB league they can start going towards the end of the 1st.

why would you want to pick a player then wait while 20 players get picked and you just sit and watch? Auction is fun ,exciting and stressful. It does take some effort and I know many would just prefer to wait for their pick, but that's boring to me

43 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Then you have little to no money to fill the rest of your team. Cook and Henry both went for $70+ in the two auctions I did this year(CMC and Kamara went for closer to 80🤮). You would have $50 left to fill 14 spots.  

that's the fun part....I guess you prefer to watch 20 players go off the board while you wait your turn? 

25 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I used to do a dynasty auction league, with rules so complicated that it would make your head spin.  At first, it was a nice change up to normal snake draft. But after a year or two, it was not a lot of fun. Turned less into fantasy football And more into the equivalent of playing the stock market.

I would recommend trying an auction (preferably with a league of sophisticated players), but in the end, I much prefer a snake draft. 

I'm commish of our league and there are no complicated rules

• Like (+1) 1

I picked last (10th) and D. Adams was still there crazy. My team

J Allen

Diggs

Adams

Mixon

Edmonds

Fant

Wash def

Bass

I'm happy. Took Adams / Diggs 10th & 11th Boom!

Guy who picked 1st took McCaffrey and Dobbins with his second pick. As soon as Dobbins went down I picked up Edward's. Have to stay on top of things like that those are the type of moves that win you a championship

Edited by ALLEN1QB
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, nucci said:

why would you want to pick a player then wait while 20 players get picked and you just sit and watch? Auction is fun ,exciting and stressful. It does take some effort and I know many would just prefer to wait for their pick, but that's boring to me

that's the fun part....I guess you prefer to watch 20 players go off the board while you wait your turn? 

I'm commish of our league and there are no complicated rules

Who is waiting 20 players? Pick in the middle of the rounds. 

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

And yes... I'm picking Josh Allen

that is all...

how many teams?

how many players are starters?

what is the scoring?

I love Josh Allen, but if you want to win, taking him first might not be the best thing.

Just now, Not at the table Karlos said:

Someone, but not me who you're saying has to wait 20 picks. Only time I've ever had a top 3 pick is in auction.  

That's my point regarding snake. Someone is waiting a long time for their 2nd pick. You don't get a top 3 pick in auction. It's a nomination order

13 minutes ago, nucci said:

That's my point regarding snake. Someone is waiting a long time for their 2nd pick. You don't get a top 3 pick in auction. It's a nomination order

But there is strategy to that too, that is part of what I enjoy. Especially in leagues you have played a few years and you know some of the tendencies. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, nucci said:

I see you've never been in an auction where they pick the worst players to nominate at the start. So you sit for an hour while kickers and 7th string wrs get bid on three times with 1 second left on the clock. I'd much rather sit and wait 20 picks 

3 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I see you've never been in an auction where they pick the worst players to nominate at the start. So you sit for an hour while kickers and 7th string wrs get bid on three times with 1 second left on the clock. I'd much rather sit and wait 20 picks 

Correct, our league is a bit better than that. If you nominate the worst player at the start , you're stuck with him. Do you draft 7th string WRs in a snake draft? Why would we bid on them in an auction? 20 seconds to bid so if a team nominates a K it only takes 20 seconds to be awarded. Not really a long time

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But there is strategy to that too, that is part of what I enjoy. Especially in leagues you have played a few years and you know some of the tendencies. 

I get that but auction is a lot more fun for us. I had skeptics in my league and now they'll never do a snake again

3 hours ago, nucci said:

in a snake draft you would never be able to get both Henry and Cook. In an auction you can

I disagree, have been doing leagues and drafts for 20 years, I prefer snake drafts.   Its closer to real life drafting, how GM's have to pick on draft day and watching the big board and if your targeted players are still available to draft.  

Either way, drafting Josh 1st isn't something the experts would recommend because the difference in QB's from Josh to lets say a Tannehill isn't nearly as much as the difference between a top RB and the 10th RB or WR.   If you are a total Bills homer and really want as many Buff guys as you can, then it would better to draft Diggs 1st and then Josh after.

Josh's average draft position or ADP (you'll see that term being thrown around a lot these days) is between 25 and 30th in your typical PPR leagues.   Diggs ADP is around 12-14, which shows you how WR's and RB's are more heavily valued in fantasy than QB's.   

Good luck !   Lots of rookies win these leagues, don't be intimidated by all the data and predictions, there's a ton of luck involved, and injuries play a big role.  You'll find that the team you draft and the one you end up with is always different as you drop and add guys based on bye weeks, trades, injuries etc.  Fun stuff.

Had my draft last night. My brother took Allen one pick before me at #26 overall in a 12 team league. I wasn't planning on taking Allen this year. Last year I did but was able to get him later. This year my strategy was to wait as long as possible and still get one of the top tier fantasy QB's. Was hoping for Wilson or Murray. Ended up with Lamar Jackson. The other guy i was high on was Stafford and actually ended up getting him in the 10th round as my back up. If defenses have indeed figured out Jackson then I feel pretty good having Stafford.

Ended up going Travis Kelce at #3 overall. With McCaffery and Cook off the board I didn't want to agonize over which RB to take at #3. Ended up with Najee Harris and CEH as my top two backs. The only other back on my roster is Singletary so I am a little light at that position.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have never done an auction draft. Will put that on my list for next year. 

Once you go auction, you don't go back.

4 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

I don't know a lot about fantasy football, but I know not to take JA 1st overall.  Sure he'll produce like a top QB, but he's still criminally underrated by most football fans and will probably still be there with your second pick.

No fantasy player underrated Allen. He went quickly in all my leagues.

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Who is waiting 20 players? Pick in the middle of the rounds. 

So you watch 12 players go by with zero chance of having them on your team.  About 4 years ago I wanted Gurley and Zeke and because it was an auction draft I was able to get both of them. No way that happens in an snake draft.