Peter King says Bills/Rams Super Bowl

The Dean

Just now, Buffalo Boy said:

I have to agree and add: The Rams and Goff looked like they were playing their first preseason game in that SB. 
   It’s always interesting to me how narratives work. You have a coach like McVay, who has been granted Darling status, and he gets nothing but passes. He has to work his way out of being a genius. He’s a very good coach but he’s fallible.

Maybe Stafford is the missing link, maybe McVay suffers from Hubris in blaming a SB loss on steam and QB who looked utterly unprepared.

Their offensive regression was about 2/3s scheme worked out and about 1/3 Goff's limitations IMO.

When the Rams went to the Lions in week 13 of 2018 Matt Patricia played a bear front against them pretty much all game and told his defense to ignore the jet motion and the sweeps. Basically ignore pre-snap, play post-snap. The Rams still scored 30 points and won the game after their defense forced a couple of turnovers but the blueprint on stopping McVay's offense was out. The next week the Rams went to the Bears with more talent on the defensive side and Vic Fangio rolled out the Patricia plan and held the Rams to 6 points. Belichick used it in that year's Superbowl and held them to 3. 

Including that week 13 game in 2018 the Rams had averaged 31.3 points per game in Sean McVay's 29 games as Head Coach. They played seven more games that season, including playoffs, and in those seven averaged just 23.8 points per game. Indeed if you take the points per game average of all 41 games McVay has coached since the day in Detroit the average points per game is 23.9 points. Maybe Jared Goff suddenly turned into a pumpkin that day.... but the numbers seem to suggest different in my opinion. They seem to suggest that since Patricia put the blueprint out there McVay has struggled to find a counter. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Rico said:

I think Stafford is a chump who will put up big numbers but will fold at the most inopportune times.

Did you know that Stafford is tied with John Elway for the seventh-most fourth quarter comebacks of all time?

His problem is that he folds early, not late.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Did you know that Stafford is tied with John Elway for the seventh-most fourth quarter comebacks of all time?

Agree, the idea Stafford is bad in crunch time is a nonsense. The fair criticism on Stafford is he struggles against the best opposition. He is 8-67 in his career against teams that finished the season with a winning record. Not helped by the fact Detroit have been pretty bad for most of his time there, but at the same time for a QB of his talent that is a concerning stat. And I am a Stafford fan. I think he is at absolute worst a top 12 Quarterback. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I question the Rams pick too. I think too many people have bought the McVay spin that he is a genius and the problem was all Goff. Do I think Stafford is an upgrade on Goff? Yep. But do I think Goff was the whole problem and the scheme is fine as is? Nope. Also they have lost some pieces on defense - Troy Hill and John Johnson to the Browns for a start - and they lost Brandon Staley who did a great job in his one year as coordinator. I think they will be a playoff team again but I am not sure I really see them as Superbowl calibre. 

McVay was calling plays fine for Goff talking Goff thru snap up to point radio turned off but defenses realized that Goff was not able to adjust and would change plays after radio turned off.  This caused offense performance to plummet.   Stafford can adjust to defenses and has a decent arm but I question whether offense can get in sync fast enough.  Peter King was judging upon training camp performances however so I suppose he saw something he liked.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

McVay was calling plays fine for Goff talking Goff thru snap up to point radio turned off but defenses realized that Goff was not able to adjust and would change plays after radio turned off.  This caused offense performance to plummet.   Stafford can adjust to defenses and has a decent arm but I question whether offense can get in sync fast enough.  Peter King was judging upon training camp performances however so I suppose he saw something he liked.

The McVay in the earphones thing was way overblown. Let's just say it was true.... but would the Rams not just snap the ball with 15 seconds left on the play clock all the time so the radio was still live? Wasn't that the supposed magic? It stopped defences adjust late because Goff had McVay basically right up to the snap? If it was as simple a problem as defences shifting after the radio shut off that is a really easy fix. It wasn't that. That was never the magic. The magic was the smoke and mirrors in the scheme and once those smoke and mirrors were worked out and the blueprint was out McVay has struggled to find an answer. Might a better Quarterback - and Stafford is definitely a better Quarterback than Goff - overcome the scheme issues? Sure, talent always matters most, but the numbers are pretty clear. That Bears game the week after Patricia put out the blueprint was the turning point. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

The McVay in the earphones thing was way overblown. Let's just say it was true.... but would the Rams not just snap the ball with 15 seconds left on the play clock all the time so the radio was still live? Wasn't that the supposed magic? It stopped defences adjust late because Goff had McVay basically right up to the snap? If it was as simple a problem as defences shifting after the radio shut off that is a really easy fix. It wasn't that. That was never the magic. The magic was the smoke and mirrors in the scheme and once those smoke and mirrors were worked out and the blueprint was out McVay has struggled to find an answer. Might a better Quarterback - and Stafford is definitely a better Quarterback than Goff - overcome the scheme issues? Sure, talent always matters most, but the numbers are pretty clear. That Bears game the week after Patricia put out the blueprint was the turning point. 

Not so much the headphones as the talent - Goff simply lacks the arm and leg talent to overcome the play call.  Stafford is far more talented and mobile.

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

Not so much the headphones as the talent - Goff simply lacks the arm and leg talent to overcome the play call.  Stafford is far more talented and mobile.

Agree with that totally. But I still think there is an underlying scheme issue there. Maybe a superior QB talent masks it better, but at some point McVay has to able to adjust. 

47 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I just know that I’ve never been too impressed with him the times that I have seen him play, which was Lions prime time games since I do not go out of my way to watch Lions games zzzzzzz.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.turfshowtimes.com/platform/amp/2021/7/22/22588268/matthew-stafford-rams-schedule-lions-primetime

Maybe not step up when it counts is more accurate than fold at inopportune times.

14 minutes ago, Rico said:

I just know that I’ve never been too impressed with him the times that I have seen him play, which was Lions prime time games since I do not go out of my way to watch Lions games zzzzzzz.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.turfshowtimes.com/platform/amp/2021/7/22/22588268/matthew-stafford-rams-schedule-lions-primetime

Maybe not step up when it counts is more accurate than fold at inopportune times.

He definitely has games where he's just completely disengaged from the action on the field, and/or plays completely out of the gamplan.  That said, (i) he's never really had to play in a game that mattered; and (ii) the gameplans have almost always been awful.  This is really "put up or shut up" time for his legacy, he'll be playing in games that matter for a coach who can gameplan for the modern NFL.  The jury is out, but I can totally see him having a monster year.

In the spring/summer of 1992 Peter King preposterously predicted.....with absolute certainty........that the Cowboys would win the NFC and Super Bowl XXVII.

In a conference that included the 49ers and the unbelievably dominant Redskins of the season prior........and of course the Bills in the AFC.

Ever since then his picks have had my attention.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

In the spring/summer of 1992 Peter King preposterously predicted.....with absolute certainty........that the Cowboys would win the NFC and Super Bowl XXVII.

In a conference that included the 49ers and the unbelievably dominant Redskins of the season prior........and of course the Bills in the AFC.

Ever since then his picks have had my attention.

Not a real stretch. The transition from Montana had begun for the 49ers, they split with the Redskins the season before, barely losing to them, and they were coming off of an 11-5 season and had all those extra picks, including trading one to get Charles Haley.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Not a real stretch. The transition from Montana had begun for the 49ers, they split with the Redskins the season before, barely losing to them, and they were coming off of an 11-5 season and had all those extra picks, including trading one to get Charles Haley.

Actually, since the transition was to Steve Young, that was a positive move, IMO. At that stage Young was superior to Montana.

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Frankly, I don’t like when the national guys are high on the Bills and I don’t like when the national guys aren’t high on the Bills. 

I just prefer they ignore the Bills, for the most part. I know most others don't agree.

I like King's work but his insistence of detailing his first class travel schedule is a bit pretentious. Hey Pete, there's a pandemic still raging and plenty of people have had their finances crushed.  Read the room pal.

As far as predictions go, he seems to get one team right a year for the SB so full credit to him. It's the week to week predictions that some writers make that are ludicrous. One never knows what each week will bring.  That's a big reason why we love it.