Jim Kelly Was Better Than Brady Imo..

Brady and Montana are the best ever at QB. Kelly may be on the outside of top 20 soon.  But right now I have right around 15. 

Here is my top 10

Brady, Montana, Manning, Favre, Elway, Marino, Brees, Young, Rodgers, Staubach

for 11-15 I will start with some old-timers

Unitius, Graham, Roethilisberger, Aikman, Kelly

I have Kelly better than Dawson, Starr, Fouts, Bradshaw, Wilson, Tarkenton, and Warner(he doesn't even belong in the HOF but he is on some lists for top 25) for now

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah…no.  No disrespect, but this is terrible take.  As much as I love Kelly, he isnt sniffing the top 5 all time, let alone better than Brady.  And I grew up watching him play, he’s the main reason I became a massive Bills fan having never stepped foot in Buffalo.  Your reasons why he’s better than Brady too are pretty weak and flimsy.  

Brady > Kelly

Manning > Kelly

Elway > Kelly

Young > Kelly too

Rodgers > Kelly as well

I mean Mahomes is already better than Kelly and Josh is on his way to be as well.  

I love Jim Kelly, but he’s going to have a hard time of making the top 10, and no way is he In the top 5.  I think somewhere between 10th and 20th all time is the right range for him.  

Despite being blasphemy to say so around here, Brady is the GOAT.  The only QB remotely close to a claim is Montana.  

Third is a distant third to those two.  

My top 10 would be

Brady

Montana

Rodgers 

Young

Elway

Unitas

Manning

Brees

Marino

Graham

Personally I have Kelly in the top 15.  You still have guys like Big Ben, Staubach, Starr, Aikman, and so on too that will garner votes as well in the top 15.  

Ok Alpha, but would Kelly ever be caught dead rocking this scarf over a blue collar while carrying his lunch pail?? I’ll hang up and listen.

09f364ab80d0b912985a81dda79e6f47--tom-br

:w00t:

• Haha (+1) 1

I appreciate your enthusiasm, and it does suck to say, but Brady holds the title. I'd say it goes even beyond football in terms of pure sport dominance. He's above Jordan at this point, second only to Gretzky in terms of pure *****outtahere.

Brady

Manning

Montana

Elway

Rodgers (not a fan of this but if he keeps playing, c'mon)

with Josh Allen lurking

9 hours ago, 97bills said:

Lol you can tell this is a bunch of bills fans talking it up. Brady is the best NFL player ever not even close come on guys. Some of the stuff I’m reading you wouldn’t even pick Brady if you were building a all Star team lol really. In 20 years his been to the super bowl every another year and I think 13 Championship games just stop. 

Again, it depends on if you are trying to build a 'franchise' or a team.  If I want a QB that will be with my team for 20 years..then yes, Brady.  But I can honestly say, 100% that if I want to put together a 5 year run of an elite team, I'm taking Manning over Brady.  Give me both of them at their peak, and Manning at most times was just unstoppable.

A 20 year Franchise...Brady.  I'm on a 5 year contract as a head coach and 27 year old Peyton Manning is avaialable...I take his next 5 peak years over Brady every time.

20 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

This is tough because how do you define the 'greatest qb'?

As far as Brady vs Manning for me....at their absolute peak of their career Manning to me was for sure better than Brady.  Take longevity into it and it goes to Brady over Manning.

And Kelly? I was happy the Bills had one of the top QB's, but even as a Bills fan I never though of him as even the best in the league during his time.  Marino and Montana to me were better than Kelly for sure. As far as more recent QB's, Rodgers, Brady, Manning , Brees, Mahomes are all better than Kelly.  That isn't saying Kelly was bad to me, I just think he is in a category a step down from the above....more grouped with guys like Favre, Rivers, Eli Manning, Rothlesberger, Elway, Russel Wilson and others.

Back then we were far less focused on stats. I knew Aikman was the leagues best qb for a few years back then, no matter how much I loved Jim, and it wasn't because of stats. It is what Aikman did in the biggest moments. If you watched the games back then, you know what I mean.

22 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Brady willed his defense to hold the chiefs to 9 points in the super bowl. They couldn’t have done it without him. 

They forget that everyone of his Super Bowl wins his teams were loaded on defense. Think of the Ravens/Tampa teams that won Super Bowls. All they needed was for their QB to NOT make mistakes. Yes, Brady has the rings but he had great defenses too. 

48 minutes ago, foreboding said:

Back then we were far less focused on stats. I knew Aikman was the leagues best qb for a few years back then, no matter how much I loved Jim, and it wasn't because of stats. It is what Aikman did in the biggest moments. If you watched the games back then, you know what I mean.

Aikman was in a similar situation to Brady. Great defenses/offensive lines. Give ball to Emmitt/Irvin. Don't turn ball over. I don't remember Aikman bringing team back from 3 score deficits. I may be wrong though

19 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

As someone who is old enough to have seen Kelly play...I think he was a very good QB, on a very good team.  Certainly, he was unquestionably, one of the best of his era...but like many posters here....I don't think he cracks a top 10 all time.  That isn't an indictment on Kelly....its just that there were guys better than him.

Personally, I HATE the Denver Broncos...HATE them....but I still rank John Elway No.1 All time.  He was a combo of cannon arm, mobility, escapability, CLUTCH, and charismatic all in one.  His first 3 super bowl teams were bad rosters that he shouldered to title games.  If he played today, he'd be in a Mahomes/Allen category of the do it all, face of the franchise, faced of the leauge type QB.  

Brady....his one super premium trait...and I've never seen anyone better at it....hanging in a pocket, working and moving around in a closet, while keeping his eyes downfield and executing....other than that...his traits are all average....he's been clutch, and he's also benefited from some 50/50 situations, wierd calls etc...more frequently than the averages say he should have.  Results are results....he's the most "accomplished" QB ever.

My top 5

1. Elway - The best I ever saw who combined cannon arm, charisma, mobility, escapability and CLUTCH all in one.

2. Marino - Lit it up in the air in an era where the NFL was still a RB driven leauge.  Quickest release I've ever seen.

3.  Mahomes (yeah, call me biased)  The current version of an Elway type.  

4. Fran Tarkenton - The original Elway....a guy who was mobile, had a great arm and was the whole package...never won a SB or he'd be talked about alot more.

5. Steve Young - Another guy who combined the entire set of traits into one....great runner, strong arm, and efficient.  

Josh Allen is right in the groove here ready to move into my top 5...he's right in that Elway/Steve Young/Tarkenton/Mahomes type....the guy that has elite traits, and does it all....has charisma...etc....

Kinda funny how Terry Bradshaw isn't even mentioned anymore... a guy who won 4 SBs. Montana won 4, Aikman 3. I suppose that's a good thing as I can't stand the Steelers or their fans. I even smiled when #55 took a penalty. 

Anyway...On a very good team!! How many hall of famers on those 90's Bills teams? There should be a few more too. Tasker, Hull, Bennett, and perhaps Ritcher, Wolford too. 

Neither Elway, nor Marino had a RB like Thurman Thomas who was so dominant at his position. Marshall Faulk before Marshall Faulk. Those early 90's Bills ran more than they threw a lot of those years. 

After Don Shula drafted Marino and watched what Danny could do with his arm... he forgot all about what won him his super bowls... a stout run game and defense. Kiick, Csonka, Morris along with a no name defense. 

There sat QB John Elway on a Denver team with an ex-NFL RB for a HC... then a DC for a HC. Finally, after Denver hired a decent OC as HC, who installed a top ground game and let Elway manage the game, the Broncos won some super bowls. Kinda like Manning with his last SB, win along with a great defense. 

Montana and Young came from that Bill Walsh WCO offensive scheme. Wanna know what Steve Young was like without that offense. Look at the 1986 Tampa Bay Bucs with no Jerry Rice.

As much as I hate to say it, Brady is #1...the freaking GOAT!  However, I must admit I did enjoy watching Brady win the SB...only because that Bucs D chased Mahomes for nearly 500 yards behind the LoS. 

Stop. End this nonsense.  At first I was thinking 89 represented Tasker, but now am thinking you may be 89, as you ignore Brady and Brees completely.  If so, Congratulations!

(And you are a Homer, of course!)

Brady is maybe the best NFL player of all time, and almost assuredly the best quarterback.  I too wish this were not the case, but it is very hard to deny.

Those 'gates' you mention are just sour grapes.  If there was any doubt how good Brady is it should have been erased this year by going to Tampa Bay and winning the Super Bowl in his first year, and he may go back this year (and lose to the Bills).

Jim Kelly was an excellent quarterback and a great leader of a great Bills team for a long time.  But Brady won SEVEN Super Bowls., his TEAMS did.  So it is completely illogical for anyone to ever say Kelly is the better quarterback.

Now, Josh Allen, that may be another story...

Edited by Mister Defense

Just now, Mister Defense said:

Stop. End this nonsense.  At first I was thinking 89 represented Tasker, but now am thinking you may be 89, as you ignore Brady and Brees completely.  If so, Congratulations!

(And you are a Homer, of course!)

Brady is maybe the best NFL player of all time, and almost assuredly the best quarterback.  I too wish this were not the case, but it is very hard to deny.

Those 'gates' you mention are just sour grapes.  If there was any doubt how good Brady is it should have been erased this year by going to Tampa Bay and winning the Super Bowl in his first year, and he may go back this year (and lose to the Bills).

Jim Kelly was an excellent quarterback and a great leader of a great Bills team for a long time.  But Brady won SIX Super Bowls., his TEAMS did.  So it is completely illogical--for anyone to ever say Kelly is the better quarterback.

Now, Josh Allen, that may be another story...

Actually Brady has 7 rings.