Jim Kelly Was Better Than Brady Imo..

1 hour ago, Mikey152 said:

Here’s what I struggle with when it comes to Brady…He is not and never has been the most impressive QB in any one specific trait amongst his peers. He wasn’t the most cerebral (manning), athletic (just about anybody), accurate (Brees), strongest armed (Rodgers, Flacco, Big Ben etc). You never really watching and just think “wow”

So it’s really hard to accept him as the GOAT, for many of the same reasons he fell to the 6th round in the first place. So many guys SHOULD be better than him (and are certainly more gifted). But at the end of the day you can’t argue with results. He might not have huge strengths, but he doesn’t really have any glaring weakness either, and the one most people would agree he has (athleticism) isn’t really a prerequisite for the position in the right offense.

I guess what I am trying to say is, he has easily had the greatest career of any qb ever…maybe any football player ever. But if you were building an all time fantasy league, I’m not sure he even gets drafted. He’s a Honda Accord.  When you account for styling, fit and finish, reliability and cost, probably the greatest car in history.  But nobody talks about how they’re gonna but one when they get rich.

Emotional intelligence on the field I think is his strong suit.  

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I might have thought Manning was better at the point Brady won his first ring but after that I pretty much always thought Tom was better than Peyton. Manning might have been the greatest football brain to ever play behind center but I don't think all those 1 and done in the playoffs experiences can just be dismissed. When the pressure was highest Manning often struggled to produce his best play whereas Brady got better in those moments. Who would I take to beat a 3-7 team in week 11 by a handsome margin? Peyton Manning. Who would I take to beat an 11-5 team in the Divisional playoff round? Tom Brady. Every time.

As time went on, Manning went downhill like almost everyone does.  Brady hasn't yet, which is remarkable.  Your observation that Brady was better than Manning after a certain point is accurate, but take into account that Manning is older and reached his peak before that time.

That's a good point about winning regular season games vs playoff games, and which guy would be better in each situation.  Most QBs struggle in the playoffs compared to their regular season performances (ref:  Allen, Josh so far) and Manning was not an exception.  Again, here's a point where Brady is clearly better than anyone else I can think of.  Brady is just as effective in the playoffs as in the regular season.

4 hours ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Admittedly I'm a huge Bills fan. My happiness is dependent upon them winning or losing a game. I will get that out of the way. And no...Kelly isn't close to Brady's accomplishments. But it's a team game.

But...I have Kelly ahead of him all time. Why? Kelly faced fierce defenders and wasn't bailed out by refs. Kelly was innovative. The K gun offense changed football. And lastly, Kelly didn't cheat. No spygate or deflategate.

I know I am going to be laughed at by some. But are there any of you that put Kelly>Brady all time?

My top 5 QB's ever:

Montana

Manning

Kelly

Elway

Marino

It’s really hard to compare because of the era’s they played in.  If Kelly played in 2021 he’d put up crazy numbers but then again, so would his contemporaries like Marino, Montana, Moon etc

I will say this - if you can stomach Super Bowl there was so much pass interference and roughing the passer plays which weren’t called.  At the time the non-calls were extremely questionable, today they would be egregious 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

As time went on, Manning went downhill like almost everyone does.  Brady hasn't yet, which is remarkable.  Your observation that Brady was better than Manning after a certain point is accurate, but take into account that Manning is older and reached his peak before that time.

That's a good point about winning regular season games vs playoff games, and which guy would be better in each situation.  Most QBs struggle in the playoffs compared to their regular season performances (ref:  Allen, Josh so far) and Manning was not an exception.  Again, here's a point where Brady is clearly better than anyone else I can think of.  Brady is just as effective in the playoffs as in the regular season.

Actually Manning only had one bad downhill season, his final season.  He fell off a cliff...he was elite every year up to that final season...ironically, he won his 2nd SB that year behind the Broncos D and Run game, and he was the lowest rated passer for a winning SB QB in history and was ranked I believe 31st in the NFL in passing that year as well during the regular season.  Year before, they were a dominant arial attack still.  

6 hours ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Admittedly I'm a huge Bills fan. My happiness is dependent upon them winning or losing a game. I will get that out of the way. And no...Kelly isn't close to Brady's accomplishments. But it's a team game.

But...I have Kelly ahead of him all time. Why? Kelly faced fierce defenders and wasn't bailed out by refs. Kelly was innovative. The K gun offense changed football. And lastly, Kelly didn't cheat. No spygate or deflategate.

I know I am going to be laughed at by some. But are there any of you that put Kelly>Brady all time?

My top 5 QB's ever:

Montana

Manning

Kelly

Elway

Marino

Don't think I can edit the title of a post, if I could I'd change it to Kelly was tougher than Brady.  That would be the one thing that's true, the rest is just wishful thinking or dreaming.

• Agree 2

I love Jim Kelly but honestly not a chance, I could honestly understand people who would say he’s one of the most overrated QBs of all time. Couldn’t win the big game, injured a lot. Team had a lot of success with Reich in there which doesn’t help his cause either

As someone who is old enough to have seen Kelly play...I think he was a very good QB, on a very good team.  Certainly, he was unquestionably, one of the best of his era...but like many posters here....I don't think he cracks a top 10 all time.  That isn't an indictment on Kelly....its just that there were guys better than him.

Personally, I HATE the Denver Broncos...HATE them....but I still rank John Elway No.1 All time.  He was a combo of cannon arm, mobility, escapability, CLUTCH, and charismatic all in one.  His first 3 super bowl teams were bad rosters that he shouldered to title games.  If he played today, he'd be in a Mahomes/Allen category of the do it all, face of the franchise, faced of the leauge type QB.  

Brady....his one super premium trait...and I've never seen anyone better at it....hanging in a pocket, working and moving around in a closet, while keeping his eyes downfield and executing....other than that...his traits are all average....he's been clutch, and he's also benefited from some 50/50 situations, wierd calls etc...more frequently than the averages say he should have.  Results are results....he's the most "accomplished" QB ever.

My top 5

1. Elway - The best I ever saw who combined cannon arm, charisma, mobility, escapability and CLUTCH all in one.

2. Marino - Lit it up in the air in an era where the NFL was still a RB driven leauge.  Quickest release I've ever seen.

3.  Mahomes (yeah, call me biased)  The current version of an Elway type.  

4. Fran Tarkenton - The original Elway....a guy who was mobile, had a great arm and was the whole package...never won a SB or he'd be talked about alot more.

5. Steve Young - Another guy who combined the entire set of traits into one....great runner, strong arm, and efficient.  

Josh Allen is right in the groove here ready to move into my top 5...he's right in that Elway/Steve Young/Tarkenton/Mahomes type....the guy that has elite traits, and does it all....has charisma...etc....

7 hours ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

It's untrue to say Brady, Manning..etc did not play in a "tough era" of football. The rule changes to QBs started in 06. They were already playing and winning then. 

5 hours ago, Mikey152 said:

Here’s what I struggle with when it comes to Brady…He is not and never has been the most impressive QB in any one specific trait amongst his peers. He wasn’t the most cerebral (manning), athletic (just about anybody), accurate (Brees), strongest armed (Rodgers, Flacco, Big Ben etc). You never really watching and just think “wow”

So it’s really hard to accept him as the GOAT, for many of the same reasons he fell to the 6th round in the first place. So many guys SHOULD be better than him (and are certainly more gifted). But at the end of the day you can’t argue with results. He might not have huge strengths, but he doesn’t really have any glaring weakness either, and the one most people would agree he has (athleticism) isn’t really a prerequisite for the position in the right offense.

I guess what I am trying to say is, he has easily had the greatest career of any qb ever…maybe any football player ever. But if you were building an all time fantasy league, I’m not sure he even gets drafted. He’s a Honda Accord.  When you account for styling, fit and finish, reliability and cost, probably the greatest car in history.  But nobody talks about how they’re gonna but one when they get rich.

That's the thing. To play as a QB in the NFL what matters most is that thing between your ears. The ability is a small part of the equation. As cerebral as Manning was...he didnt perform as great in the playoffs as he did in the regular season. 

Edited by Ghost_002!

10 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

As someone who is old enough to have seen Kelly play...I think he was a very good QB, on a very good team.  Certainly, he was unquestionably, one of the best of his era...but like many posters here....I don't think he cracks a top 10 all time.  That isn't an indictment on Kelly....its just that there were guys better than him.

Personally, I HATE the Denver Broncos...HATE them....but I still rank John Elway No.1 All time.  He was a combo of cannon arm, mobility, escapability, CLUTCH, and charismatic all in one.  His first 3 super bowl teams were bad rosters that he shouldered to title games.  If he played today, he'd be in a Mahomes/Allen category of the do it all, face of the franchise, faced of the leauge type QB.  

Brady....his one super premium trait...and I've never seen anyone better at it....hanging in a pocket, working and moving around in a closet, while keeping his eyes downfield and executing....other than that...his traits are all average....he's been clutch, and he's also benefited from some 50/50 situations, wierd calls etc...more frequently than the averages say he should have.  Results are results....he's the most "accomplished" QB ever.

My top 5

1. Elway - The best I ever saw who combined cannon arm, charisma, mobility, escapability and CLUTCH all in one.

2. Marino - Lit it up in the air in an era where the NFL was still a RB driven leauge.  Quickest release I've ever seen.

3.  Mahomes (yeah, call me biased)  The current version of an Elway type.  

4. Fran Tarkenton - The original Elway....a guy who was mobile, had a great arm and was the whole package...never won a SB or he'd be talked about alot more.

5. Steve Young - Another guy who combined the entire set of traits into one....great runner, strong arm, and efficient.  

Josh Allen is right in the groove here ready to move into my top 5...he's right in that Elway/Steve Young/Tarkenton/Mahomes type....the guy that has elite traits, and does it all....has charisma...etc....

Zero, I like you’re points and you know by avatar MGK is my favorite Bills QB all time, but maybe 10th overall.  You’re forgetting Montana who is 4-0 in the SB, and Bart Starr who won 5 of 7 NFL Championships including the first two SB’s.

Slow you’re roll on Mahomes.  He is amazing, but he’s 1 and 1 so maybe in 10 years as he’s going to be duking it out with our guy for the next decade.  I love Mahomes as a QB, but he could have catastrophic injuries in two years.  I mean Luck if he stayed healthy would be one of the absolute best if he lasted another decade.  I like you’re other guys.

that’s why this is a barstool conversation that there will be a winner.  It’s like Marciano would beat Ali in his prime.  Can’t compare.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Jim Kelly isn’t even top 10 of all time. Probably not even top 15. If only he could have won at least one of those Super Bowls..

I hate it but this is true Kelly was a turn over Machine in big games picks fumbles you name it. Brady is the goat I use to say Montana just because I don’t like Brady but who can say that now if you watch football lol. 

• Like (+1) 1

Lol you can tell this is a bunch of bills fans talking it up. Brady is the best NFL player ever not even close come on guys. Some of the stuff I’m reading you wouldn’t even pick Brady if you were building a all Star team lol really. In 20 years his been to the super bowl every another year and I think 13 Championship games just stop. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah…no.  No disrespect, but this is terrible take.  As much as I love Kelly, he isnt sniffing the top 5 all time, let alone better than Brady.  And I grew up watching him play, he’s the main reason I became a massive Bills fan having never stepped foot in Buffalo.  Your reasons why he’s better than Brady too are pretty weak and flimsy.  

Brady > Kelly

Manning > Kelly

Elway > Kelly

Young > Kelly too

Rodgers > Kelly as well

I mean Mahomes is already better than Kelly and Josh is on his way to be as well.  

I love Jim Kelly, but he’s going to have a hard time of making the top 10, and no way is he In the top 5.  I think somewhere between 10th and 20th all time is the right range for him.  

Despite being blasphemy to say so around here, Brady is the GOAT.  The only QB remotely close to a claim is Montana.  

Third is a distant third to those two.  

My top 10 would be

Brady

Montana

Rodgers 

Young

Elway

Unitas

Manning

Brees

Marino

Graham

Personally I have Kelly in the top 15.  You still have guys like Big Ben, Staubach, Starr, Aikman, and so on too that will garner votes as well in the top 15.  

A lot of people forget about Big Ben has the yards and stats been too 3 Super Bowls and won two. 

• Agree 1