Jim Kelly Was Better Than Brady Imo..

Montana is my all time QB.

Unfortunately, I have to admit brady is up there.  Winning a SB first year with a new team and no billacheat.  

Kelly is up there for sure.  Kelly, Montana, brady, Unitas, Peyton Manning all up there at

the top.  I have Marino on the fringe.  Montana and brady are my 1-2.  Again, hate to give brady anything, but kinda have to.  Kelly didn’t have the number of years some of these other guys did, otherwise he’d be up higher.

1 hour ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Admittedly I'm a huge Bills fan. My happiness is dependent upon them winning or losing a game. I will get that out of the way. And no...Kelly isn't close to Brady's accomplishments. But it's a team game.

But...I have Kelly ahead of him all time. Why? Kelly faced fierce defenders and wasn't bailed out by refs. Kelly was innovative. The K gun offense changed football. And lastly, Kelly didn't cheat. No spygate or deflategate.

I know I am going to be laughed at by some. But are there any of you that put Kelly>Brady all time?

My top 5 QB's ever:

Montana

Manning

Kelly

Elway

Marino

Brady isnt even in your top 5? This list makes it seem like the NFL closed up shop in 2000. Also, how you can put Kelly, Elway or Marino above Rodgers is equally disturbing and im not a Rodgers fan. 

Why would Marino or Kelly be above Brees?

Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees have to be in all rankings of top 5 QB of all time. They all have the rings, individual awards and stats to match. What order you want them in is your personal preference. And the 5th QB on that list would likely be Montana. Again in whatever order you prefer (to a certain extent). 

Edited by bobobonators
  • Like (+1) 1

Well, I will say OP, that Kelly won more consecutive AFC championships back to back than Brady ever did…oh, and neither Moon, Elway, Marino nor Montana ever made it past the Kelly led Bills in the playoffs FWIW…Kelly also called his own plays as an offensive system that to my knowledge Brady even in his prime never did full time…Kelly broke a defender’s leg once, Brady broke a nail maybe? 🤔 :w00t:

My top 5 QB's ever:

Montana

Manning

Kelly

Elway

Marino

If your main "point" wasn't bad enough, leaving Brady out of the top 5 completely negates anything else you could ever possibly say.

I don't care how much of a homer someone is, I don't care if you despise Brady (so do I), pretending a QB who has more Super Bowl wins than any whole franchise in their entire history, has nearly twice as many rings as the next closest QB, is in the top 3 for every QB stat in history, and did it all in the FREE AGENCY ERA when it was thought to be impossible, absolutely destroys this idea.

There have been more physically talented, but results > physical talent. When Jordan lost a lot of his athleticism, he adjusted his game & still was the best due to his work ethic, basketball IQ, and development of other skills. I cannot believe I'm having to defend this guy...but here I am 🤮

• Like (+1) 1

Admittedly I'm a huge Bills fan. My happiness is dependent upon them winning or losing a game. I will get that out of the way. And no...Kelly isn't close to Brady's accomplishments. But it's a team game.

But...I have Kelly ahead of him all time. Why? Kelly faced fierce defenders and wasn't bailed out by refs. Kelly was innovative. The K gun offense changed football. And lastly, Kelly didn't cheat. No spygate or deflategate.

I know I am going to be laughed at by some. But are there any of you that put Kelly>Brady all time?

My top 5 QB's ever:

Montana

Manning

Kelly

Elway

Marino

No.  Sorry, but no.

It sucks to say. But Brady is not only  better than Kelly, he’s not even in the same conversation. Love Jim the QB. But come on. I don’t even think JK12 is in the second grouping of HOF QB’s. 

Jim was integral to our success but he was also at best the third best player on that team behind Thurman and Bruce. 

Brady

Everybody else. Hurts to say but it is what it is and it’s not close. 

Here’s what I struggle with when it comes to Brady…He is not and never has been the most impressive QB in any one specific trait amongst his peers. He wasn’t the most cerebral (manning), athletic (just about anybody), accurate (Brees), strongest armed (Rodgers, Flacco, Big Ben etc). You never really watching and just think “wow”

So it’s really hard to accept him as the GOAT, for many of the same reasons he fell to the 6th round in the first place. So many guys SHOULD be better than him (and are certainly more gifted). But at the end of the day you can’t argue with results. He might not have huge strengths, but he doesn’t really have any glaring weakness either, and the one most people would agree he has (athleticism) isn’t really a prerequisite for the position in the right offense.

I guess what I am trying to say is, he has easily had the greatest career of any qb ever…maybe any football player ever. But if you were building an all time fantasy league, I’m not sure he even gets drafted. He’s a Honda Accord.  When you account for styling, fit and finish, reliability and cost, probably the greatest car in history.  But nobody talks about how they’re gonna but one when they get rich.

Edited by Mikey152
  • Like (+1) 1

Well, being that Brady and his team were caught cheating every 4.5 years on average for two straight decades…, and again caught cheating by not reporting an injury on his current team, what’s that say about him???, he is a walking talking character flaw, But some folk like cheaters, birds of a feather as the saying goes…

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I feel like you should go back & watch those Bills Super Bowls, looks at Kelly's individual accolades (not even counting stats, as Brady blows Kelly out of the water in every regard there), and think about how stupid it is for anyone to go to 10 Super Bowls, W/L record aside.

When that Bills team's biggest accomplishment was going to 4 straight Super Bowls & losing them all, compare that to Brady... The guy has lost 3 himself...BUT WON SEVEN ON TOP OF THAT. 

I mean I'm trying to factor in people who won a Super Bowl as relief after the starter was injured like Foles, people like Rob Johnson who were backups on SB teams, guys who were old & just managed a team like Manning's ring in Denver, etc. and still you don't find a player who sniffs that Super Bowl history...

The only discussion you could ever possibly make that's not completely insane is saying that those 90's Bills teams could possibly have beaten a particular Brady-lead Super Bowl team. Otherwise, there's no debate to be had. 

Since everybody is backing Tom to the 5th power, I would say this for Jimbo:  He took much more massive hits than Brady in his day.

During the drought I remember watching the 1995 playoff game vs the Steelers.  You know kind of nostalgia for when the team was still solid.  Jim took like a massive shot that day from a Steeler defender I forgot who.  Van Pelt had to go in for him.  I've honestly never seen Brady take a hit like that in his career.  

And this coming from a poster that would have been a Reich over Kelly guy if message boards were around then 

Edited by Another Fan

Everything has been handed to Brady. He does not have one legitimate win. He was created by the NFL to put Boston fans in the stands, and it worked. After his career is over and he is no longer a cash cow, the full story will come out.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

The Bucs could've had Haskins as their starter in that SB and won. They weren't losing that game. Especially with KC's injuries.

LOL, Haskins...

Brady had 3 TDs in the 1st half and the game was over. 

Kelly also spent his career with a HOF RB and WR.  

2 hours ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

My top 5 QB's ever:

Montana

Manning

Kelly

Elway

Marino

Yeah…no.  No disrespect, but this is terrible take.  As much as I love Kelly, he isnt sniffing the top 5 all time, let alone better than Brady.  And I grew up watching him play, he’s the main reason I became a massive Bills fan having never stepped foot in Buffalo.  Your reasons why he’s better than Brady too are pretty weak and flimsy.  

Brady > Kelly

Manning > Kelly

Elway > Kelly

Young > Kelly too

Rodgers > Kelly as well

I mean Mahomes is already better than Kelly and Josh is on his way to be as well.  

I love Jim Kelly, but he’s going to have a hard time of making the top 10, and no way is he In the top 5.  I think somewhere between 10th and 20th all time is the right range for him.  

Despite being blasphemy to say so around here, Brady is the GOAT.  The only QB remotely close to a claim is Montana.  

Third is a distant third to those two.  

My top 10 would be

Brady

Montana

Rodgers 

Young

Elway

Unitas

Manning

Brees

Marino

Graham

Personally I have Kelly in the top 15.  You still have guys like Big Ben, Staubach, Starr, Aikman, and so on too that will garner votes as well in the top 15.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, swimtoga said:

Everything has been handed to Brady. He does not have one legitimate win. He was created by the NFL to put Boston fans in the stands, and it worked. After his career is over and he is no longer a cash cow, the full story will come out.

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm-if so you need to put some sort of emoji or comment at the end. If you were going for sarcasm I can tell you it was a terrible crack at it. If it wasn’t, it’s just a terrible take 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

OP, look at my avatar name.  I would think you would surmise how much I loved the real MGK and old enough to have seen every game along with the back end of Fergy’s.

This is a bit over the top as you may be jaded by the Brady hate because he was the bully, and beat us for two decades.  I don’t know how anyone can say that went and won that many SB’s is not the GOAT.  That doesn’t mean I don’t prior to him think it was Montana, and I’m not old enough to make the argument it was Bart Starr.  They did win 5 of 7 years of national championships in a very different league.  Different times my friend.

And I thought u were just a fan of rap music the whole time. 🤷