Jim Kelly Was Better Than Brady Imo..

Admittedly I'm a huge Bills fan. My happiness is dependent upon them winning or losing a game. I will get that out of the way. And no...Kelly isn't close to Brady's accomplishments. But it's a team game.

But...I have Kelly ahead of him all time. Why? Kelly faced fierce defenders and wasn't bailed out by refs. Kelly was innovative. The K gun offense changed football. And lastly, Kelly didn't cheat. No spygate or deflategate.

I know I am going to be laughed at by some. But are there any of you that put Kelly>Brady all time?

My top 5 QB's ever:

Montana

Manning

Kelly

Elway

Marino

Edited by Billsfanatic8989
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 11
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

19 minutes ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Admittedly I'm a huge Bills fan. My happiness is dependent upon them winning or losing a game. I will get that out of the way. And no...Kelly isn't close to Brady's accomplishments. But it's a team game.

But...I have Kelly ahead of him all time. Why? Kelly faced fierce defenders and wasn't bailed out by refs. Kelly was innovative. The K gun offense changed football. And lastly, Kelly didn't cheat. No spygate or deflategate.

I know I am going to be laughed at by some. But are there any of you that put Kelly>Brady all time?

My top 5 QB's ever:

Montana

Manning

Kelly

Elway

Marino

Didn’t you just start another thread where you said that you barely watch any games besides the Bills?  Not that you were around to see any of them play in their prime. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

OP, look at my avatar name.  I would think you would surmise how much I loved the real MGK and old enough to have seen every game along with the back end of Fergy’s.

This is a bit over the top as you may be jaded by the Brady hate because he was the bully, and beat us for two decades.  I don’t know how anyone can say that went and won that many SB’s is not the GOAT.  That doesn’t mean I don’t prior to him think it was Montana, and I’m not old enough to make the argument it was Bart Starr.  They did win 5 of 7 years of national championships in a very different league.  Different times my friend.

• Like (+1) 2

This is tough because how do you define the 'greatest qb'?

As far as Brady vs Manning for me....at their absolute peak of their career Manning to me was for sure better than Brady.  Take longevity into it and it goes to Brady over Manning.

And Kelly? I was happy the Bills had one of the top QB's, but even as a Bills fan I never though of him as even the best in the league during his time.  Marino and Montana to me were better than Kelly for sure. As far as more recent QB's, Rodgers, Brady, Manning , Brees, Mahomes are all better than Kelly.  That isn't saying Kelly was bad to me, I just think he is in a category a step down from the above....more grouped with guys like Favre, Rivers, Eli Manning, Rothlesberger, Elway, Russel Wilson and others.

• Like (+1) 2

Memories are short.  When Montana retired, John Madden was all over anointing Montana as the best ever, and at that point (about 1999 if memory serves) maybe he was.  Then there was a stretch where Peyton Manning was better than anyone ever.  Brady was playing great at the time but Manning was better.  Then Manning got hurt and got old, and some younger fans think the Manning of the last couple of years was all that the guy had ever been -- and at the same time Brady kept on going.  

You can make a good argument for any of those three as the GOAT.  My opinion is that Montana and Brady both excelled in offenses designed to maximize their good points and avoid things they didn't do so well.  Manning OTOH just went out and balled.  IMHO Manning is the best ever.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

This is tough because how do you define the 'greatest qb'?

As far as Brady vs Manning for me....at their absolute peak of their career Manning to me was for sure better than Brady.  Take longevity into it and it goes to Brady over Manning.

And Kelly? I was happy the Bills had one of the top QB's, but even as a Bills fan I never though of him as even the best in the league during his time.  Marino and Montana to me were better than Kelly for sure. As far as more recent QB's, Rodgers, Brady, Manning , Brees, Mahomes are all better than Kelly.  That isn't saying Kelly was bad to me, I just think he is in a category a step down from the above....more grouped with guys like Favre, Rivers, Eli Manning, Rothlesberger, Elway, Russel Wilson and others.

I agree completely. Good analysis.  And it does put the Brady v Manning comparison into focus.  Manning peak five years or so were amazing.  Brady continuing to win also amazing.

Because of differences in eras ( rules etc) we can only go by the “ eye test” . Kelly was a great QB for sure, but not at the level of Montana, Brady, Manning et al. A couple better performances in SB’s would vault him into that discussion though. History has him a couple notches below those players. 

4 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I agree completely. Good analysis.  And it does put the Brady v Manning comparison into focus.  Manning peak five years or so were amazing.  Brady continuing to win also amazing.

I might have thought Manning was better at the point Brady won his first ring but after that I pretty much always thought Tom was better than Peyton. Manning might have been the greatest football brain to ever play behind center but I don't think all those 1 and done in the playoffs experiences can just be dismissed. When the pressure was highest Manning often struggled to produce his best play whereas Brady got better in those moments. Who would I take to beat a 3-7 team in week 11 by a handsome margin? Peyton Manning. Who would I take to beat an 11-5 team in the Divisional playoff round? Tom Brady. Every time.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1