SI Predicts Bills Win AFC East at 11-6, tied with Pats(Wildcard)...LMAO

Big Turk

Most of the national pundits are riding our jock at the moment, so it makes sense to grab some attention by going against the grain and picking against us, especially since our rabid fan base will go nuts and give them the clicks and comments they're seeking.  I woke up this morning and Mike Clay of ESPN had us ranked #8 in his power rankings, and I was like, "WTF is this guy an idiot?".  My heart rate elevated, my face turned red, and then I realized he won...lol.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, StHustle said:

Penny #2: When is the last time SI predicted our record and it didn’t end up an underestimation? 👂🏾Again…I’ll wait…

In 1982 they predicted we would win the SB, after we lost to Cincy in the AFCCG the previous year. Back then, they were a respectable organization, lol. :-)

Edited by chongli

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I mean, I get it New England may have improved but they have a rookie QB, and a lot of new pieces. The Bills are head and shoulders the class of the division, and it's borderline insulting suggesting the Pats are somehow in the same ballpark as we are.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/09/04/afc-east-preview-predicted-order-of-standings

Jeez. There's nothing insulting, borderline or not, about having a different opinion.

I think they're wrong, but whatever.

6 hours ago, StHustle said:

Here are my 2 cents:

Penny #1: When has Belichick ever proven to be more than just an average to just above average head coach without Brady? 👂🏾 I’ll wait…

Penny #2: When is the last time SI predicted our record and it didn’t end up an underestimation? 👂🏾Again…I’ll wait…

SI isn't a person. It doesn't have one opinion. It's many people with many opinions.

And while we may have to go back two or three years because Allen surprised so much last year, it just would not be so difficult  to find some. They don't have anything against us. They don't really care.

Oh, and I'd argue Belichick did a fine job of coaching last year in getting that roster to seven wins. The biggest part of that dynasty was Brady, IMO, but that doesn't mean Belichick isn't damn good. He is.

Edited by Thurman#1

14 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

SI isn't a person. It doesn't have one opinion. It's many people with many opinions.

OK, fine. 

The article is written by Conor Orr.  Who TF is Conor Orr, and what does he know about football and the NFL East?  I'll hang up and wait.

Weirdnesses of the article that struck me on first pass:

once coordinator Brian Daboll found a way to create a matchup spread offense that maximized both Allen’s mobility and his cannon arm

I actually don't think the Bills run what's usually referenced as a "spread offense" at all, and our current offense certainly isn't predicated on maximizing Allen's mobility, as indicated by the fact his rush yards per game in 2020 were exactly HALF his rush yards in 2018.  Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken about the Bills offense being considered a "spread offense", unless we consider almost all modern NFL pass-centric offenses as "spread offenses"

New York has a new coach, former 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh. Not only is he a gregarious personality and sound defensive leader, but he has also brought in offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur, who helped build the explosive system now being run in San Francisco, Tennessee and Green Bay.

Just trying to figure out what the similarities between SF, Tenn, and GB offense are thought to be, and how Mike LaFleur, who was passing game coordinator and WR coach in SF after following Shanahan from Atlanta, deserves credit or partial credit for the latter two?  Anyone enlighten me?

The Patriots, after finishing 7–9 last year—their first losing season since 2000—could bounce back after capitalizing on a depressed free-agent market and signing wide receivers (Kendrick Bourne, Nelson Agholor), top-tier tight ends (Hunter Henry, Jonnu Smith) and one of the more versatile pass rushers on the market (Matthew Judon). New England also drafted Alabama quarterback Mac Jones at No. 15 and Crimson Tide defensive tackle Christian Barmore at No. 38, addressing two significant areas of need.

Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry are good players.  Judon is a beast.  But is anyone else puzzled by lauding the addition of Kendrick Bourne (SF #4 WR in Y/G) and Nelson Agholor (LV #2 WR in Y/G) as capitalizing on a depressed FA market?  Barmore may be good, and Jones may be good but we all know that what a guy can do in preseason playing against #2s and 3s and without (usually) a team-specific defensive game plan designed to target weaknesses doesn't equate to regular season.

But if we want to predict that...why nothing about how good Rousseau and the other defensive returns/additions have looked for the Bills?  And if we're impressed by adding Nelson Agholor, shouldn't adding Emmanuel Sanders count?

Anyway

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I have the Bills at 12-5 this year. An injury in a key spot, a few players being unavailable short notice on game day due the the reason that shall not be named or a game bad breaks happen and we could see 11-6 or even 10-7. Could work the other ways and we see 14-3, too.

Dolphins don't scare me too much as aside from Tua at QB that oline of theirs looks to be shakey at BEST.

Jets are still 2 years away from even considering them.

Patriots are gonna try and win games the way we did under Rex. Run and play stout defense. That D will definitely keep them in games. 10-7 wouldn't shock me if everything falls their way. They could be in the mix. 

40 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, fine. 

The article is written by Conor Orr.  Who TF is Conor Orr, and what does he know about football and the NFL East?  I'll hang up and wait.

He's a writer. A lot. 

Glad I could help.

Do you feel those questions were worthwhile in clearing anything at all up? If my answers aren't enough for you, would you be willing to go to Vegas and bet the mortgage that he's wrong? 

Edited by Thurman#1

45 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

He's a writer. A lot. 

Glad I could help.

Do you feel those questions were worthwhile in clearing anything at all up? If my answers aren't enough for you, would you be willing to go to Vegas and bet the mortgage that he's wrong?

I don't understand exactly what you feel this contributes to the conversation, but Whatever.

I don't have a mortgage, and I don't bet.

56 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I have the Bills at 12-5 this year. An injury in a key spot, a few players being unavailable short notice on game day due the the reason that shall not be named or a game bad breaks happen and we could see 11-6 or even 10-7. Could work the other ways and we see 14-3, too.

Dolphins don't scare me too much as aside from Tua at QB that oline of theirs looks to be shakey at BEST.

Jets are still 2 years away from even considering them.

Patriots are gonna try and win games the way we did under Rex. Run and play stout defense. That D will definitely keep them in games. 10-7 wouldn't shock me if everything falls their way. They could be in the mix. 

Who do you have as our 3 or 5 losses from curiousity?

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't understand exactly what you feel this contributes to the conversation, but Whatever.

I don't have a mortgage, and I don't bet.

Fine, make it your life savings instead, and imagine that you do bet. Would you be willing to bet that this guy is so stupid/uninformed or whatever that he's clearly wrong so you'd hop that plane and make that bet?

Of course wouldn't, if you're sane. Because he might be right. I think he's wrong, personally, if I had to guess, but he could be right.

Edited by Thurman#1

10 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I mean, I get it New England may have improved but they have a rookie QB, and a lot of new pieces. The Bills are head and shoulders the class of the division, and it's borderline insulting suggesting the Pats are somehow in the same ballpark as we are.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/09/04/afc-east-preview-predicted-order-of-standings

One take out there is that the Bills need to show they can sustain the high level of play from last year. I don’t think it’s an unreasonable opinion. I know I’m going to be watching them closely next Sunday to see how they’re handling the bonkers energy that’s gonna fill that stadium.  

Edited by jimmy10
mobile was acting weird

9 hours ago, StHustle said:

Here are my 2 cents:

Penny #1: When has Belichick ever proven to be more than just an average to just above average head coach without Brady? 👂🏾 I’ll wait…

Many of these publications consider Belichick a God. They do the same with Phil Jackson in the NBA, but what has either of these guys accomplished without the GOATs in these leagues? Phil when he went to NY wrecked the team for years. Bill in Cleveland, the same. The Bill and Phil were the wizards behind the curtain. 

4 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

One take out there is that the Bills need to show they can sustain the high level of play from last year. I don’t think it’s an unreasonable opinion. I know I’m going to be watching them closely next Sunday to see how they’re handling the bonkers energy that’s gonna fill that stadium.  

I mean, why isn't that the narrative for every other team then? Most don't have the talent the Bills do from top to bottom on this roster.