Jerry Jones - thinks Bills unique .. should not leave Buffalo

CorkScrewHill

34 minutes ago, cba fan said:

SD voters hated Chargers owner Spanos so much they twice voted down tax increases that only out of towners would pay.  Yeah the hate ran deep.     

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/10/sports/football/san-diego-rejects-chargers-stadium.html

"The Chargers then came up with a proposal to build a downtown stadium on a tight plot near the city’s convention center. The team wanted voters to raise the county’s hotel bed tax, which it portrayed as a levy on tourists."

I don’t think us Buffalo fans or locals hate the Pegulas that much lol. Also again the San Diego fans barely showed up to the games. That team had a trouble time selling out the stadium, ***** even during the drought we still sold out our stadium. The Bills are staying in Buffalo and we’re going to get a new stadium, sure it may be the smallest stadium in the NFL but I’ll take that over losing the team. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Jerry Jones is an insufferable putz, 

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

He's got Mike Lynn (former Vikings GM who made the Hershel Walker trade) to thank.

I’m thinking Jerry Jones needed no help in becoming an  insufferable putz, and did just fine on his own, just sayin, 😁 

3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I’m thinking Jerry Jones needed no help in becoming an  insufferable putz, and did just fine on his own, just sayin, 😁 

Without Lynn, he likely doesn't become nearly as insufferable.

Just now, Doc said:

Without Lynn, he likely doesn't become nearly as insufferable.

Nah, look at the guy, JJ has been like this his entire life, he is a walking nails on the chalkboard kind of guy.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

LOL!  Link?  To what?  Where I said the Bills will never ever move under any circumstance now that Pegula is the owner?  I can't.  

No—much easier than that doc: Where you said, soon after Pegula bought the team, that he would likely threaten to move the team if not given a publicly funded new stadium.  

3 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

But they’re not going to vote down because they don’t want the Bills moving on their watch. Letting the Bills walk out of Buffalo would be disastrous and chaos would erupt on the streets. They’re not gonna wanna go through that. Plus on the chargers note, the fans in San Diego weren’t showing up and that played a factor in them leaving. Even Philip Rivers said to the fans if you want us to stay then you better start showing up to the games.  

So are you a taxpayer that lives in Buffalo who is willing to vote yes to have your taxes raised ?

Or are you an out of state fan that has no skin in the game ?

Just now, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

So are you a taxpayer that lives in Buffalo who is willing to vote yes to have your taxes raised ?

Or are you an out of state fan that has no skin in the game ?

I used to live in Buffalo but I have a ***** ton of family that does live in Buffalo and they’re insane Bills fans that definitely would want their taxes raised to help keep the Bills in Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

No—much easier than that doc: Where you said, soon after Pegula bought the team, that he would likely threaten to move the team if not given a publicly funded new stadium.  

Again, I can't, because talk of needing a brand new stadium wasn't an issue until recently.  I thought the Ralph would be renovated repeatedly, like Lambeau and Arrowhead have been.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I used to live in Buffalo but I have a ***** ton of family that does live in Buffalo and they’re insane Bills fans that definitely would want their taxes raised to help keep the Bills in Buffalo. 

So would any sane Buffalonian. 

20 hours ago, rockpile said:

The "build me a new stadium or I will take my team and go elsewhere" goes back to the Rockpile and Rich Stadium. They will work out a deal. 

The topic comes up every couple years. If I am wrong, I am done with the NFL.

I am confident that a deal will be worked out and The Bills will stay in Buffalo. That said, who owns the Bills name, team franchise history and NFL records?

The Colts name, logo, and history moved with the team to Indianapolis.

The Browns retained all rights to their history with Cleveland.

The Colts history is with Indianapolis, with a just tip of the hat to the the city of Baltimore. who now have only Ravens stats.  

Indianapolis Colts
(Baltimore Colts - 1953-1983)

Edgerrin James (1999-2005)
Art Donovan (1953-1961)
Bill Polian (1998-2011)
Don Shula (1963-1969)
Eric Dickerson (1987-1991)
George Young (1968-1974)
Gino Marchetti (1953-1964, 1966)
Jim Parker (1957-1967)
Joe Perry (1961-1962)
John Mackey (1963-1971)
Johnny Unitas (1956-1972)
Lenny Moore (1956-1967)
Marshall Faulk (1994-98)
Marvin Harrison (1996-2008)
Peyton Manning (1998-2011)
Raymond Berry (1955-1967)
Richard Dent (1996)
Ted Hendricks (1969-1973)
Tony Dungy (2002-08)
Weeb Ewbank (1954-1962)

Teams, not towns, own their stats/records etc--no matter what town they play in.  It's not unique to the Colts/Baltimore.

19 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

All that the politicians you mentioned will do is put a tax hike on the ballot to fund the public part of the stadium. 

If the voters vote the tax hike down, the Bills will move.

That's exactly what happened in San Diego. The voters voted down the tax hike at least 4 times

Citizens in NY don't get to vote for or against tax increases.

14 hours ago, Doc said:

Again, I can't, because talk of needing a brand new stadium wasn't an issue until recently.  I thought the Ralph would be renovated repeatedly, like Lambeau and Arrowhead have been.

So would any sane Buffalonian. 

Say what??  Come on doc.  You know that's not true.  The lease the Bills signed WAS the beginning of the discussion of a new stadium vs retrofit.  As soon as he bought the team, Pegula joined an already formed by the Governor to look into the feasibility of a new stadium.  That was 2014.  The State hired a company to scout new sites and 4 were identified in 2015.  In 2018, Pegula hired ICON to scout "focus groups" opinions for a new stadium.  

They were looking at a new stadium from day 1.   

The last Sienna Poll I saw from 2015 of Erie County residents had 48% agreeing that taxpayers should pay for "some" of the cost and 48% saying "none" of the costs.  Half the population is "insane"?

Edited by Mr. WEO

If the Bills moved to Austin, I honestly don’t think it would hurt him.  Cowboys fans are as rabid as Bills fans, the only difference is they still run around talking about winning SBs 30 years ago and we still get excited over losing 4 in a row.   Neither team has had any real success since those times.   If anything, I suspect it might up his profits because the Bills would have better revenue coming in, sorry Buffalo, you’re not exactly the model of a city that sports teams WANT to be in.  Great fans, but no real money, nor national attention. 

I agree the Bills should stay and don’t want to see them go anywhere.   That said, if the county won’t pony up, it might happen.  I could see them moved to a number of places that could absorb the cost with little issue and benefit greatly from it.  Austin, Raleigh, Toronto (that would be the end for me), even Columbus OH might be interesting.   The truth of the matter is the major cities all pretty much have teams, so you are looking to pick a spot where you are splitting revenues or places that have already failed, so Buffalo makes pretty good sense to stay.   Really selfishly, if they do move, Raleigh/Durham NC makes a ton of sense, it’s basically WNYSouth, and the amount of real money here would fill out the stadium in a heartbeat with corporate suites etc.  It would be a huge win for everyone, except Buffalo of course.  I’d also have them back in a quick drive radius, so I win 😂.  Everyone would be taxed less, the weather sucks less and the players would likely be closer to their preferred areas to live.  That said, the college fan base hasn’t been as quick to adopt a pro team in the south, so I’m not sure if it would be nearly as “fun”. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

If the Bills moved to Austin, I honestly don’t think it would hurt him.  Cowboys fans are as rabid as Bills fans, the only difference is they still run around talking about winning SBs 30 years ago and we still get excited over losing 4 in a row.   Neither team has had any real success since those times.   If anything, I suspect it might up his profits because the Bills would have better revenue coming in, sorry Buffalo, you’re not exactly the model of a city that sports teams WANT to be in.  Great fans, but no real money, nor national attention. 

I agree the Bills should stay and don’t want to see them go anywhere.   That said, if the county won’t pony up, it might happen.  I could see them moved to a number of places that could absorb the cost with little issue and benefit greatly from it.  Austin, Raleigh, Toronto (that would be the end for me), even Columbus OH might be interesting.   The truth of the matter is the major cities all pretty much have teams, so you are looking to pick a spot where you are splitting revenues or places that have already failed, so Buffalo makes pretty good sense to stay.   Really selfishly, if they do move, Raleigh/Durham NC makes a ton of sense, it’s basically WNYSouth, and the amount of real money here would fill out the stadium in a heartbeat with corporate suites etc.  It would be a huge win for everyone, except Buffalo of course.  I’d also have them back in a quick drive radius, so I win 😂.  Everyone would be taxed less, the weather sucks less and the players would likely be closer to their preferred areas to live.  That said, the college fan base hasn’t been as quick to adopt a pro team in the south, so I’m not sure if it would be nearly as “fun”. 

Bills aren’t going anywhere, trust me the state and county have and will give the money to the Pegulas. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Say what??  Come on doc.  You know that's not true.  The lease the Bills signed WAS the beginning of the discussion of a new stadium vs retrofit.  As soon as he bought the team, Pegula joined an already formed by the Governor to look into the feasibility of a new stadium.  That was 2014.  The State hired a company to scout new sites and 4 were identified in 2015.  In 2018, Pegula hired ICON to scout "focus groups" opinions for a new stadium.  

The last Sienna Poll I saw from 2015 of Erie County residents had 48% agreeing that taxpayers should pay for "some" of the cost and 48% saying "none" of the costs.  Half the population is "insane"?

"Discussions" are just that: discussions.  No decision had been made and wasn't made for at least 5 years afterwards as your timeline lays out.  Hence no reason until recently to speculate on what Terry would do if the taxpayers didn't cough up money for a new stadium.

Yeah, they are crazy.  Judging by former cities crying and moaning after their teams left, demanding new ones and sometimes needing to spend even more than they were asked to before to replace them.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Doc said:

"Discussions" are just that: discussions.  No decision had been made and wasn't made for at least 5 years afterwards as your timeline lays out.  Hence no reason until recently to speculate on what Terry would do if the taxpayers didn't cough up money for a new stadium.

Yeah, they are crazy.  Judging by former cities crying and moaning after their teams left, demanding new ones and sometimes needing to spend even more than they were asked to before to replace them.

LOL-- Pegula couldn't wait to goose those "discussions" from the get go!

Sites were being scouted for years.  No one was seriously pushing for renovations on the PSE doc.  Stop. Bottom line:  you cannot credibly claim (now) you were of the belief (then) that Pegula would/could threaten to move the team if the overwhelmingly likely scenario of a new stadium was desired by PSE came to pass. 

Most SD citizens aren't crying much I bet over the Chargers--they voted overwhelmingly against it (57-43%).  St. Louis citizens agitated against publicly funding a new stadium so loudly that a bill was introduced that would require a a public vote before funds could be used. It died because local politicians thought it would be a vote against funding.  The Raiders have come and gone form OAK more than once. 

Not so much with the "crying and moaning"....

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Teams, not towns, own their stats/records etc--no matter what town they play in.  It's not unique to the Colts/Baltimore.

Citizens in NY don't get to vote for or against tax increases.

I would like to see the results of this same poll if the Pegula's announced that without taxpayer support they had an agreement with another city and were packing up the trucks.

8 minutes ago, rockpile said:

I would like to see the results of this same poll if the Pegula's announced that without taxpayer support they had an agreement with another city and were packing up the trucks.

Well, in SD, with an NFL approval in January 2016 to move the team a year later, AND after the Chargers (just in case) had registered the name "Los Angeles Chargers", AND having already filed an application to move to LA AND an agreement to share the LA stadium with the Rams......even with all that, the citizens of SD still overwhelmingly rejected funding of a stadium.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well, in SD, with an NFL approval in January 2016 to move the team a year later, AND after the Chargers (just in case) had registered the name "Los Angeles Chargers", AND having already filed an application to move to LA AND an agreement to share the LA stadium with the Rams......even with all that, the citizens of SD still overwhelmingly rejected funding of a stadium.

I understand, but it is my humble opinion that what happened in SD will not happen in Buffalo.  I can only hope I am right! 😎

• Like (+1) 1