Jerry Jones - thinks Bills unique .. should not leave Buffalo

CorkScrewHill

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

So it's an empty threat, you just said as much.  

This is what Wilkinson said:

"They would like to build it right there [in Orchard Park], and we need to hear back. You can’t really do plans and designs on things until you have a deal, and right now the City of Buffalo and the State are going to have to decide if they want a team."

It's not an empty threat.  The Bills won't move because a deal will get done, not because the Pegulas have no choice but to keep the team in Buffalo.

It's also not a threat that the county/state haven't been well-aware of for decades, without it needing to be said out loud.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Doc said:

It's not an empty threat.  The Bills won't move because a deal will get done, not because the Pegulas have no choice but to keep the team in Buffalo.

It's also not a threat that the county/state haven't been well-aware of for decades, without it needing to be said out loud.

It's not a threat made by Goodell (as was claimed above).  It's made by Pegula--he just said it out loud (behind a mouthpiece).

19 hours ago, Ponch said:

I will show my ignorance… can someone please explain to me why building a $1.5 Billion stadium in Buffalo will equate to more money for Jerry, the other ownersq and the NFL? Other than the suites which will bring in some extra revenue… where is the revenue stream coming from? Less seats, driving up the individual ticket prices, is chump change for what the NFL brings in from TV, merchandise, etc.. what do they get out of the $1 billion+ behemoth? 

I forget the name, but I read in an article that Jerry owns a company that will profit if the Bills stay and get a new stadium.

Edited by 1ManRaid

29 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's not a threat made by Goodell (as was claimed above).  It's made by Pegula--he just said it out loud (behind a mouthpiece).

It's not a threat that needs to be made by anyone: it's a known (by all) reality of the situation.  Wilkinson is just asking the obvious.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

When new stadiums are put in prices go up on seats and opposing teams get percentage of non-club seat revenue so the amount shared with league goes up.

Thank you for commenting back. I appreciate this, but in reality, how much is that really going to amount to? And then divided among 31 other clubs. It just seems so little of a return for such vast an investment. For instance, let’s say the Pegulas’s invest even $500,000,000 into the stadium…. Will the Pegulas ever get that money back from increased sales? Will it even be close? The numbers just don’t seem to add up. It’s an incredible waste of money from any perspective as far as I can see. 

23 minutes ago, Ponch said:

Thank you for commenting back. I appreciate this, but in reality, how much is that really going to amount to? And then divided among 31 other clubs. It just seems so little of a return for such vast an investment. For instance, let’s say the Pegulas’s invest even $500,000,000 into the stadium…. Will the Pegulas ever get that money back from increased sales? Will it even be close? The numbers just don’t seem to add up. It’s an incredible waste of money from any perspective as far as I can see.

They will eventually get their money back.  Luxury suites alone should bring in a lot more than before.  But the fact of the matter is they need a new stadium.

Edited by Doc

29 minutes ago, Ponch said:

I doubt that owning an NFL team is a great investment as far as profits. To make money, invest in the stock market. With only 32 teams, NFL ownership is simply a status symbol for the uber-wealthy. Nonetheless, owners want to maximize whatever profits they can glean from whatever sources are available.

As others have mentioned, the current stadium simply won't last much longer, so a new stadium is necessary. They'll max out the luxury suites and raise ticket prices to recoup some of the cost, and they'll ask the taxpayers to foot the rest of the bill. Maybe they'll never recover the entire cost, but that's the price of owning a status symbol.

Edited by WhoTom

3 hours ago, Doc said:

It's not a threat that needs to be made by anyone: it's a known (by all) reality of the situation.  Wilkinson is just asking the obvious.

So, when he bought the team with its old stadium and terminal lease, it was “known by all” that if he didn’t get a new, heavily subsidized new stadium that he would just move the team?

You were among many here saying he saved the team from being moved.  Did you mean “until the lease expired” and “only if he is given a new stadium”?

I bet you didn’t…

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

So, when he bought the team with its old stadium and terminal lease, it was “known by all” that if he didn’t get a new, heavily subsidized new stadium that he would just move the team?

You were among many here saying he saved the team from being moved.  Did you mean “until the lease expired” and “only if he is given a new stadium”?

I bet you didn’t…

Dude get out of here with your negativity bull####. There will be a new stadium and the Bills will stay in Buffalo. Terry is not moving them, this is negotiation and that’s all. Do you really think these politicians want to jeopardize their careers by letting the Bills walk away on their watch?? ***** no they don’t. Hochoul ( a Buffalo native and a major Buffalo Bills Fan) wants Cuomo’s job permanently not temporarily as well as Poloncarz as well as rest of NYS and Erie county officials. I understand where your coming from but all your doing is creating unnecessary panic and drama 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Dude get out of here with your negativity bull####. There will be a new stadium and the Bills will stay in Buffalo. Terry is not moving them, this is negotiation and that’s all. Do you really think these politicians want to jeopardize their careers by letting the Bills walk away on their watch?? ***** no they don’t. Hochoul ( a Buffalo native and a major Buffalo Bills Fan) wants Cuomo’s job permanently not temporarily as well as Poloncarz as well as rest of NYS and Erie county officials. I understand where your coming from but all your doing is creating unnecessary panic and drama 

lol…say what?

I haven’t once threatened to move the Bills….

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I bet you didn’t…

Of course I and everyone else knew that when a new stadium was required and the county/state didn't heavily subsidize it, there was a possibility he could move the team.  Is this news for you? 

What I also knew is that the county/state would heavily subsidize the new stadium.  Because they also knew the Pegulas could move/sell the team and see it leave under their watch, and they weren't going to let that happen.

Did you actually think he would entirely pay for a new stadium?  I know you think he should, but he won't.  Sorry.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Doc said:

Of course I and everyone else knew that when a new stadium was required and the county/state didn't heavily subsidize it, there was a possibility he could move the team.  Is this news for you? 

What I also knew is that the county/state would heavily subsidize the new stadium.  Because they also knew the Pegulas could move/sell the team and see it leave under their watch, and they weren't going to let that happen.

Did you actually think he would entirely pay for a new stadium?  I know you think he should, but he won't.  Sorry.

Who doesn't think a billionaire owner of a sports team flush with cash should not pay for a new stadium (I mean among NYS taxpayers)?

Anyway, so you are saying that, back when he bought the team, your thoughts were: "sure this guy is saying all the right things, but when the lease he inherited runs out and if there is no new stadium mainly funded by the public, I see him as a guy who would definitely move the team before spending his own money on the majority of the stadium costs"?  This is what you were saying back then?

That is news to me...

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Who doesn't think a billionaire owner of a sports team flush with cash should not pay for a new stadium (I mean among NYS taxpayers)?

Anyway, so you are saying that, back when he bought the team, your thoughts were: "sure this guy is saying all the right things, but when the lease he inherited runs out and if there is no new stadium mainly funded by the public, I see him as a guy who would definitely move the team before spending his own money on the majority of the stadium costs"?  This is what you were saying back then?

That is news to me...

Apparently. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The "build me a new stadium or I will take my team and go elsewhere" goes back to the Rockpile and Rich Stadium. They will work out a deal. 

The topic comes up every couple years. If I am wrong, I am done with the NFL.

I am confident that a deal will be worked out and The Bills will stay in Buffalo. That said, who owns the Bills name, team franchise history and NFL records?

The Colts name, logo, and history moved with the team to Indianapolis.

The Browns retained all rights to their history with Cleveland.

The Colts history is with Indianapolis, with a just tip of the hat to the the city of Baltimore. who now have only Ravens stats.  

Indianapolis Colts
(Baltimore Colts - 1953-1983)

Edgerrin James (1999-2005)
Art Donovan (1953-1961)
Bill Polian (1998-2011)
Don Shula (1963-1969)
Eric Dickerson (1987-1991)
George Young (1968-1974)
Gino Marchetti (1953-1964, 1966)
Jim Parker (1957-1967)
Joe Perry (1961-1962)
John Mackey (1963-1971)
Johnny Unitas (1956-1972)
Lenny Moore (1956-1967)
Marshall Faulk (1994-98)
Marvin Harrison (1996-2008)
Peyton Manning (1998-2011)
Raymond Berry (1955-1967)
Richard Dent (1996)
Ted Hendricks (1969-1973)
Tony Dungy (2002-08)
Weeb Ewbank (1954-1962)

15 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

All that the politicians you mentioned will do is put a tax hike on the ballot to fund the public part of the stadium. 

If the voters vote the tax hike down, the Bills will move.

That's exactly what happened in San Diego. The voters voted down the tax hike at least 4 times

5 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

All that the politicians you mentioned will do is put a tax hike on the ballot to fund the public part of the stadium. 

If the voters vote the tax hike down, the Bills will move.

That's exactly what happened in San Diego. The voters voted down the tax hike at least 4 times

But they’re not going to vote down because they don’t want the Bills moving on their watch. Letting the Bills walk out of Buffalo would be disastrous and chaos would erupt on the streets. They’re not gonna wanna go through that. Plus on the chargers note, the fans in San Diego weren’t showing up and that played a factor in them leaving. Even Philip Rivers said to the fans if you want us to stay then you better start showing up to the games.  

32 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

But they’re not going to vote down because they don’t want the Bills moving on their watch. Letting the Bills walk out of Buffalo would be disastrous and chaos would erupt on the streets. They’re not gonna wanna go through that. Plus on the chargers note, the fans in San Diego weren’t showing up and that played a factor in them leaving. Even Philip Rivers said to the fans if you want us to stay then you better start showing up to the games.  

SD voters hated Chargers owner Spanos so much they twice voted down tax increases that only out of towners would pay.  Yeah the hate ran deep.     

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/10/sports/football/san-diego-rejects-chargers-stadium.html

"The Chargers then came up with a proposal to build a downtown stadium on a tight plot near the city’s convention center. The team wanted voters to raise the county’s hotel bed tax, which it portrayed as a levy on tourists."

Edited by cba fan