ISO: Suggestions for moderators at PPP

SDS

Having learned the hard way and having the distinction of being one of the 1st posters ever to be removed from PPP/TBD many years ago. I feel like the forum can be self moderated for the most part IMO. While one person may have given me the boot. The majority of the posters did not like my know it all attitude. I learned 3 valuable lessons that day. 1,  You find the smartest posters posting in PPP. Discussing many topics they have extensive knowledge in and over your head. 2, I clearly don't know it all. 3, and most importantly, I'm an idiot. 

Its possible self moderation could work with a scoring system in place based on the amount If negatives on the emoticon select. Positives and negatives cancel out. Go say 10 deep to the negative the post gets removed. Poster does it 10 times the posts are not being received well and he is barred from PPP for 90 days. Getting along with people is one of the most important aspects of general discussion in PPP in my opinion.

Always stay humble and kind.

Just a thought...

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

Did something happen?

I think zealous moderation of PPP would turn it into a vanilla group think which is the antithesis of the forum.

There are plenty of forums out there. This doesn't have to be what it has become. It's better since the BillsChan group left but it's still a hole. And yes, I accept the nomination to be all-powerful moderator. 

23 minutes ago, John Adams said:

There are plenty of forums out there. This doesn't have to be what it has become. It's better since the BillsChan group left but it's still a hole. And yes, I accept the nomination to be all-powerful moderator. 

Yep, you're free to keep visiting them.  No need to worry about this one.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, John Adams said:

Aren’t you the guy that started the *****-poster thread which pretty much violates the TOS by calling people out directly, instead of limiting your comments to the quality of the post? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just follow the rules

Registration Terms

Forum Terms & Rules Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email.

We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

5 hours ago, snafu said:

Aren’t you the guy that started the *****-poster thread which pretty much violates the TOS by calling people out directly, instead of limiting your comments to the quality of the post? 

That thread is dedicated to lack of quality posting and it’s the best thread in the history of ppp.

I started MPPPGA!

We know that theme won a presidential election. 

37 minutes ago, John Adams said:

That thread is dedicated to lack of quality posting and it’s the best thread in the history of ppp.

I started MPPPGA!

We know that theme won a presidential election. 

Are you taking credit or accepting shame?

14 hours ago, ALF said:

Just follow the rules

Registration Terms

Forum Terms & Rules Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email.

We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

If not posting knowingly false information is a litmus test for acceptability, there’s no way a moderator will work here.  That’s sort of the crux of the whole thing here.  We generally dispute what is and what is not the truth.  A sad commentary on the state of affairs applicable to society in general — policy disputes gave way to disinformation and battles not about ideas or principles, but about credibility. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

If not posting knowingly false information is a litmus test for acceptability, there’s no way a moderator will work here.  That’s sort of the crux of the whole thing here.  We generally dispute what is and what is not the truth.  A sad commentary on the state of affairs applicable to society in general — policy disputes gave way to disinformation and battles not about ideas or principles, but about credibility. 

Also no one actually knows what truth is, because this board covers politics, and politicians and their respective media manipulate everything. 

i haven’t see  anyone here impartial enough to moderate without bias. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Also no one actually knows what truth is, because this board covers politics, and politicians and their respective media manipulate everything. 

That’s not necessarily true.  We have a long-standing scientific dispute here about HCQ that now has broadened to cover Ivermectin.   Those issues are black and white.  I’m sure there are other simmering disputes that fall into that category, too.  

6 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

That’s not necessarily true.  We have a long-standing scientific dispute here about HCQ that now has broadened to cover Ivermectin.   Those issues are black and white.  I’m sure there are other simmering disputes that fall into that category, too.  

See that we can’t even agree that politicians lie. 

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

See that we can’t even agree that politicians lie. 

That wasn’t at issue.  But of course politicians lie.  We just lived through four years of Donald Trump. We’ve lived through Bill Clinton, Joe McCarthy, Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan, and even Andrew Cuomo.  Now we’re dealing with Kevin McCarthy and his nonsense about how the Insurrection was a rambunctious but peaceful enterprise.  Who lies, and how the lies are communicated, remains in dispute.  But the premise that “politicians lie,” in my view, cannot be disputed at this point in time.  

7 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

That wasn’t at issue.  But of course politicians lie.  We just lived through four years of Donald Trump. We’ve lived through Bill Clinton, Joe McCarthy, Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan, and even Andrew Cuomo.  Now we’re dealing with Kevin McCarthy and his nonsense about how the Insurrection was a rambunctious but peaceful enterprise.  Who lies, and how the lies are communicated, remains in dispute.  But the premise that “politicians lie,” in my view, cannot be disputed at this point in time.  

And also who and what YOU or anyone else believes heavily influences what you think is true or not true. 

jan 6 is great example. It ranges in the opinion spectrum from the greatest attack on democracy since Pearl Harbor to a protest. And while one party is trying to minimize it and wash it away the other is doing everything it can to embellish it and keep it atop the headlines. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

And also who and what YOU or anyone else believes heavily influences what you think is true or not true. 

jan 6 is great example. It ranges in the opinion spectrum from the greatest attack on democracy since Pearl Harbor to a protest. And while one party is trying to minimize it and wash it away the other is doing everything it can to embellish it and keep it atop the headlines. 

Maybe there is some truth to the first sentence.  People nowadays tend to watch a news network that tells them what they want to hear.  You and I simply can’t agree to the extent you’re in any way justifying what occurred on January 6th.  If you don’t believe that it was an insurrection, then there’s nothing more for us to say to each other on the subject.  

51 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Maybe there is some truth to the first sentence.  People nowadays tend to watch a news network that tells them what they want to hear.  You and I simply can’t agree to the extent you’re in any way justifying what occurred on January 6th.  If you don’t believe that it was an insurrection, then there’s nothing more for us to say to each other on the subject.  

Insurrection by definition is a violent uprising against authority.  That is a fact. Jan 6 meets that definition as does a number of other events in Minnesota and Portland and other places in the past year and a half. I don’t believe any of it is justified.  

Nearly as bad are the despicable attempts to leverage political capital from such nationally embarrassing moments by embellishing and deliberately cultivating fear. But the respective flock just fall into line without challenging the narratives. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Insurrection by definition is a violent uprising against authority.  That is a fact. Jan 6 meets that definition as does a number of other events in Minnesota and Portland and other places in the past year and a half. I don’t believe any of it is justified.  

Nearly as bad are the despicable attempts to leverage political capital from such nationally embarrassing moments by embellishing and deliberately cultivating fear. But the respective flock just fall into line without challenging the narratives. 

Lmao - what a joke.

Benghazi called and wants their money back.

• Haha (+1) 2

I nominate BillsTime, Big Blitz, B-Man, and Tiberius. 

Might as well let PPP be run by the people who dominate it. 

Or SDS can run an algorithm and appoint the top four posters by volume as mods. 

Or we could hide the board from site and say even nastier things. 

• Vomit 1