ISO: Suggestions for moderators at PPP

SDS

I'd like to find a handful of people (3?) who are invested in this group that would like to be a moderator and who is supported by the group as a good choice. Feel free to nominate someone. Please refrain from jokes and nonsense. I'd like a serious effort to if anyone fits the bill.

With the overriding point that this is first and foremost a Buffalo Bills community, here are some loose expectations:

1. Watch for objectionable content. Promotion of violence, etc...
  2. Identify over-the-top posters who are here to disrupt and not engage in good faith discussion
  3. Note any other general concerns you may have

If anyone is interested, and there may not, I think I'd like to try 1-year commitments and then review every year afterwards. Since this isn't season based, Jan 1st is a good time to touch base every year. Anyone willing to step forward now, would go to 12/31/2023.

This would be a mostly thankless task, one that I haven't been up to myself for years. Perhaps having some new people lend a helping hand would be a benefit to all. If the choices are less than ideal, we will just keep it the way it is. No hard feelings if I pass on anyone in particular.

With that said, is there a group of contributors that would be good in your eyes?

• SDS changed the title to ISO: Suggestions for moderators at PPP
  • SDS pinned this topic

They may not like my recommendation because it is a thankless job IMO.( x10 in PPP)

I'm not sure what happened while I was away. I like Beerball as a mod.  Hes experienced and I think he gets along well with people IMO.  Beerball also has a good intellect for PPP IMO. 

24 minutes ago, Figster said:

They may not like my recommendation because it is a thankless job IMO.( x10 in PPP)

I'm not sure what happened while I was away. I like Beerball as a mod.  Hes experienced and I think he gets along well with people IMO.  Beerball also has a good intellect for PPP IMO. 

Nothing has happened. Just been doing a lot of community stuff. 

• Like (+1) 1

i dont really think pulling someone from this section is a good idea. most people have a political bias, whether they admit it or not. I'd think you'd want people that are not really paying attention to politics in general so they are only looking at guideline infractions and not letting anything else make the judgments.

last thing I'd want to see is heavy handed moderation that constantly leans in a direction. smaller boards are the last places where "moderation" isn't used for flat out censorship. the fact this place hasn't followed the trend so far is what makes it different.

• Agree 1

Just now, Buffarukus said:

i dont really think pulling someone from this section is a good idea. most people have a political bias, whether they admit it or not. I'd think you'd want people that are not really paying attention to politics in general so they are only looking at guideline infractions and not letting anything else make the judgments.

last thing I'd want to see is heavy handed moderation that constantly leans in a direction. smaller boards are the last places where "moderation" isn't used for flat out censorship. the fact this place hasn't followed the trend so far is what makes it different.

I don’t think anything I had written above suggests heavy-handed moderation. I also don’t think anyone not involved here would willingly come here to be a moderator. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SDS said:

I don’t think anything I had written above suggests heavy-handed moderation. I also don’t think anyone not involved here would willingly come here to be a moderator. 

i dont think the original intent is ever that but in a day and age some consider words violence and opposing viewpoints are considered propaganda it can quickly get there with the wrong moderator. its happening all over the place.

just my two cents. im obv not on here enough to see everything that goes on. 

best bet imo. 3 libertarians! 👍

Just now, Buffarukus said:

i dont think the original intent is ever that but in a day and age some consider words violence and opposing viewpoints are considered propaganda it can quickly get there with the wrong moderator. its happening all over the place.

just my two cents. im obv not on here enough to see everything that goes on. 

best bet imo. 3 libertarians! 👍

Suggestions are welcome. 

You might want to consider a simple warning to both sides that if your feeling are hurt easily this is not the place for you. Also something along the lines of the only thing off limits is any version of a personal threat. I don't think many of us mind a little name calling even if it childish.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

You might want to consider a simple warning to both sides that if your feeling are hurt easily this is not the place for you. Also something along the lines of the only thing off limits is any version of a personal threat. I don't think many of us mind a little name calling even if it childish.

I’d be happy to pin a topic in the future, but for now I’m really just looking for a couple of people to lend the occasional hand. Any suggestions?

I’ll gladly take the job!  

I think we should invite some of our old friends back who left.  Not moderate based on politics.  Respect the mantra that this forum has traditionally self-moderated and has a higher threshold for argumentative posts.  

And only moderate on what needs  to be removed: (1) poor-intentioned trolls: and (2) the unacceptable—revealing personal information, pedophilia conspiracies against board members, etc. 

we honestly need just a few people to lead by example.  The level of discourse here has really dropped 

Edited by Crayola64
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, snafu said:

I think nominations should be made by PM to the board owner and whomever becomes a moderator should be given the option of having a second screen persona, if possible. 

if sending me a PM makes people feel more comfortable…

20 hours ago, SDS said:

I'd like to find a handful of people (3?) who are invested in this group that would like to be a moderator and who is supported by the group as a good choice. Feel free to nominate someone. Please refrain from jokes and nonsense. I'd like a serious effort to if anyone fits the bill.

With the overriding point that this is first and foremost a Buffalo Bills community, here are some loose expectations:

1. Watch for objectionable content. Promotion of violence, etc...
  2. Identify over-the-top posters who are here to disrupt and not engage in good faith discussion
  3. Note any other general concerns you may have

If anyone is interested, and there may not, I think I'd like to try 1-year commitments and then review every year afterwards. Since this isn't season based, Jan 1st is a good time to touch base every year. Anyone willing to step forward now, would go to 12/31/2023.

This would be a mostly thankless task, one that I haven't been up to myself for years. Perhaps having some new people lend a helping hand would be a benefit to all. If the choices are less than ideal, we will just keep it the way it is. No hard feelings if I pass on anyone in particular.

With that said, is there a group of contributors that would be good in your eyes?

I think this place could use some moderation however there have to be some examples of what constitutes #2 above.  And once that, and other offenses, are determined then there needs to be a well defined and progressive disciplinary system.  

Having said that I have no desire to moderate. 😁

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I think this place could use some moderation however there have to be some examples of what constitutes #2 above.  And once that, and other offenses, are determined then there needs to be a well defined and progressive disciplinary system.  

Having said that I have no desire to moderate. 😁

In my drug filled fantasy, I am looking for three unicorns that are agreeable to the community. I would also like to win the lottery. But I know I can’t win unless I buy a ticket. If you have suggestions, let me know.

• Haha (+1) 2

I don’t think PPP can be moderated fairly. I notice political bias on the other TBD sections.  Moderators giving out penalty points based on their personal opinions.  It would be even worse here by a factor of 10.  Would destroy PPP and I haven’t noticed a need.  We go at it tooth and nail but nobody has stepped over the line. Solving a problem that doesn’t exist.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I would just leave it be. Most of us know where the line is and we keep it real most of the time.

I’ve only seen a few vicious attacks so far and someone let that person(s) know to chill.

if there’s a moderator then half of the news sources would get removed and the entire place would just turn into victimhood/censorship whining.

The level of discourse probably went down because American politics is no longer an art form and now resides in the gutter since 2015.

Maybe just a moderator to make sure there aren’t physical threats and violence.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1