Changing up how I watch the Bills game

When I watch the Bills games, I am all nerves and superstition. I basically have to watch them alone, with possibly a meager glass of water by my side. I have agreements with friends that they can’t text or call me during games because they did that once before and the Bills lost. Plus, I need 100% focus. 

This year, I am going to try to turn over a new leaf. Since the team is pretty good now, I think I can relax a little. So I’m going to have a watching party for the opener and live a little. Just hope this doesn’t cause some major jinx to occur. 😬

• Like (+1) 2
  • Angry 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

When I watch the Bills games, I am all nerves and superstition. I basically have to watch them alone, with possibly a meager glass of water by my side. I have agreements with friends that they can’t text or call me during games because they did that once before and the Bills lost. Plus, I need 100% focus. 

This year, I am going to try to turn over a new leaf. Since the team is pretty good now, I think I can relax a little. So I’m going to have a watching party for the opener and live a little. Just hope this doesn’t cause some major jinx to occur. 😬

How dare you put our season in jeopardy? This is incredibly selfish of you. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I am not a superstitious person and don't totally understand it.  I mean if you want to have  ritual or routine fine, I get it but when people actually think they affect the game with this is bizarre to me.  For every fan of the Bills who thinks they are doing something to make them lose, there is a fan on the other team doing the same.  How do you reconcile that?  I understand having the thought but if you then ask yourself, is this rational, and then think about it for half a second.  I think it can be fun to have these thoughts but when it actually affects your real life relationships and you are deciding to interact with people in your life or not based on magic is going a bit far.

• Agree 2

26 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I’ve been there and can relate. Yeah, it’s time to kick back a little and enjoy the game with some friends. The tension is relieved with knowing your team has a very good QB. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mattynh said:

I am not a superstitious person and don't totally understand it.  I mean if you want to have  ritual or routine fine, I get it but when people actually think they affect the game with this is bizarre to me.  For every fan of the Bills who thinks they are doing something to make them lose, there is a fan on the other team doing the same.  How do you reconcile that?  I understand having the thought but if you then ask yourself, is this rational, and then think about it for half a second.  I think it can be fun to have these thoughts but when it actually affects your real life relationships and you are deciding to interact with people in your life or not based on magic is going a bit far.

What if this is all a dream that my mind created?  Anything I do could upset the apple cart. DON’T CHANGE ANYTHING when it comes to the Bills game!! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

I was able to let go of many of my superstitions last year, because I finally realized that this team was good enough to win in spite of me sitting on the wrong spot or wearing the wrong color underwear. Of course, I still did most of them any way, and will again this year too.  

I am confident in the team, but the football gods must still be respected.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I can drink less now that they are a better team. During the drought I knew if I drank over 18 beers I could convince myself it was definitely the Refs fault we lost, not the lack of talent. 🤣

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm thinking of turning the season into one big game of strip poker. I'll start the season wearing 10 items of clothing. If we win I take something off, if we lose I put it back on.

At the end of the year I'll post a picture of the result, so you'd better hope for a losing season.

• Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, mattynh said:

If we have more fans doing superstitious things than their fans we have the positive juju.

breakingbad-science.gif

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 5

Superstitions are really not worth it and don't work in my opinion. I have literally tried every which way to develop lucky hats and t-shirts along with places and ways to watch and everything is just seemingly random. The only thing I need for the game is a good place to watch it and for my wife not to bother me.

• Like (+1) 3

I drink out of an old pilsner glass with a Bills logo on it that I got from Super Duper for luck back in 1989! Got my 1st apartment that year, had to start my glassware collection. It's faded alot, but still rocking it, hasn't broke yet 🤞

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

The HELL you will! NOBODY changes a GOTDAM thing from what they did last year -UNTIL the AFCCG!

ARE WE CLEAR?!

1BADC9B9-E58E-4E43-944A-BED83D87828D.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 5

Best advice is don’t get all riled up about every play, it’s super annoying to watch football with people who get all out of shape about a 5 yard run on 2nd and 4 in the 1st quarter. 

Think of it this way. Anytime the other team comes up to the line, audibles and gets a decent run, instead of getting annoyed, view it as a likely win for the defense. They were probably looking to burn them over the top and the defense figured out the game plan and forced them to audible. Basically the defense won the chess match and conceded a decent run over a chunk play. 

Even if I’m not right with that way of thinking, people listen, stop getting all angry about inconsequential plays, people are scared to tell you, but you’re super annoying to watch sports with. The nfl comes down to like 6 plays a game, that 7 yard run in the second quarter to cross the 50 is not one of those plays, it really doesn’t matter much at all. Every time your defense does not give up one of those six plays on a given snap is another opportunity for them to be the unit that makes one of those plays on the next snap. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1