In your opinion, what’s the hardest position?

22 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

QB, RB, WR, OL, C, TE, DL, DE, LB, CB, S, LS, P or K?

My opinion: CB

I don’t know if it is the hardest, but the idea of chasing someone who knows where they are going (and you don’t) and is running at full speed…all game long…sucks.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I don’t know if it is the hardest, but the idea of chasing someone who knows where they are going (and you don’t) and is running at full speed…all game long…sucks.

That’s exactly my point. Thx. QB knows where he or she is going with the ball each play (Read 1,2,3 or handoff). No biggie. The CB has to be set for sprint along side, move laterally, react to handoff but watch for play action. It has to be the toughest position because it is all quick reflexes and reactionary, not to mention great physical skills (unlike Ben Whatsaburger). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

That’s exactly my point. Thx. QB knows where he or she is going with the ball each play (Read 1,2,3 or handoff). No biggie. The CB has to be set for sprint along side, move laterally, react to handoff but watch for play action. It has to be the toughest position because it is all quick reflexes and reactionary, not to mention great physical skills (unlike Ben Whatsaburger). 

Even if I am following you tightly once you suddenly pivot…man, I’m dead.  I don’t know how they do it sometimes.

I would be a big advocate of allowing pass interference again, if my job was as a CB.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is true, but I think there's a still reason why so many people claim QB is the hardest position in sports

Probably two different approaches: hardest mentally vs hardest physically. CB has to be most difficult “physically”

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I think in the modern NFL and certainly in Daboll's offense, the QB's decision making is not quite so linear and certainly defensive coordinators are staying up at night trying to figure out how to confuse and befuddle them.  Then there's the idea that 4-8 behemoths are trying to pulverize the QB on every snap.

If you're going to say "the QB knows where he is going with the ball each play, no biggie" then you might as well say "the CB just has to figure out which of a handful of routes the WR is running, no biggie"

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

Probably two different approaches: hardest mentally vs hardest physically. CB has to be most difficult “physically”

Physically just in terms of sheer effort I would think it's OL

But there's no question that the CB has a hard job

Punter.  You're just hanging out on the sidelines all day, but expected to be ready to go at any minute.  And once you are on the field, if all 10 of your team mates screw up, you're expected to take down a 200-300 pound runner at full speed to prevent a score.  

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think in the modern NFL and certainly in Daboll's offense, the QB's decision making is not quite so linear and certainly defensive coordinators are staying up at night trying to figure out how to confuse and befuddle them.  Then there's the idea that 4-8 behemoths are trying to pulverize the QB on every snap.

If you're going to say "the QB knows where he is going with the ball each play, no biggie" then you might as well say "the CB just has to figure out which of a handful of routes the WR is running, no biggie"

Not quite, but I see your point. The entire offensive unit has a distinct advantage over the defensive unit (that’s why shutouts are so rare in football). Defense is purely reactionary. Playing CB against the likes of Diggs, Metcalf, Hill has to be a mentally and physically exhausting position (not to mention keeping the RB and QB in sight in the event of a run).  

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

QB is hands down the most difficult and complicated position in all of team sports to play.  

Complicated (mentally), but what about physically and instinctively?