Calling it now: Devin will be a 1000 yard back this year

Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I’m not sure that would be a good thing for our offense, honestly.  That would suggest to me that something went wrong.  The only way one of these backs is rushing for over 1000 yards (unless you mean combined yards) is if Trubisky is running the offense, IMO.

Not necessarily. What if he gets most of his carries in the second half when the team is winding the clock and the defences are gassed?

32 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I've been the biggest critic of him. He looked terrible last year.

Hes looked "faster" this preseason. I don't think all the sudden at 24yrs old [HAPPY BDAY DEVIN, ITS TODAY HAD TO LOOK IT UP], he suddenly got faster. I do think he's in better shape, but I'm thinking the game finally slowed down for him some. He's thinking less and instinctual again. I think he's going to serve me a buffet of crow!

I don't really care how many yards he has total, as long as he looks sharp, picks up necessary first downs, and most importantly KEEPS DEFENSES HONEST. If he does that with 600yds, great year. If that means 1,000-1,300 yards, then we're blowing teams out and that's great too. 

500yards receiving would be a huge! I'd much rather see that number than any other 🤷‍♂️

It looks like he's focussed on hitting the hole with conviction. Too much dancing last year from what I remember. I'd rather he just got 2 or 3 yards by being decisive than stammering about behind the line, hoping for a huge play, only to get taken for a loss or no gain.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

It looks like he's focussed on hitting the hole with conviction. Too much dancing last year from what I remember. I'd rather he just got 2 or 3 yards by being decisive than stammering about behind the line, hoping for a huge play, only to get taken for a loss or no gain.

Exactly what we need out of this position is steady consistent positive yardage, not wasting downs

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I know, I know…we are a passing team and have a RB by committee type approach on paper.

But…I think we are going to see Devin actually be used more as a lead back than people think.  Moss will also still get touches, with Brieda likely being peppered in some too.

But I think Devin will average around 15 carries a game.  And with his career YPC  of 4.8 YPC that would put him at 1152 yards on a 16 game season, and 1224 on a 17 game season.

Ive been drafting Singletary late in FFL because he’s been available in every draft I’ve done in the later rounds with Moss always going ahead of him too.  But barring injury, I think that Devin is going to out touch Moss by a bigger margin than many expect.  

And to be clear, that’s not a knock on Moss by any means, I just think Singletary is going to be a break out player for us this year.  People forget in his rookie year, despite splitting carries, he was in the top 10 in most 20+ Yard runs, and averaged over 5 YPC.  Last year, coaches talked about how lack of camp hurt him, especially conditioning. 

Well this year he’s in the best shape of his life and I think he looks substantially better so far than he did last year and is going to be our most effective RB with Moss working more to spell him or down and short situations.  Brieda, if active on game days (skeptical you they will have 5 active RBs on game day) will be more of a receiving back in passing situations.

I think your right except for the numbers.  I don’t think he’ll get the touches for 1000 yards rushing.  I believe that he’ll earn the starting spot for this season and next while he plays out his contract. He’ll show that he’s a capable #1 RB, but I don’t think he’ll ever get more than 4M per year.  And that’s being generous.  Solid back and hopefully good enough to help us win the Lombardi 

17 games now,  Daboll/Allen willing, I think its very possible OP. Josh Allen may dump the ball off to Singletary more so I'm expecting to see his all purpose (catching and running) go up from last season. Singletary looks to good not to use and I'm confident our Bills OC has watched enough film of the preseason and seeing the same thing we are IMO. 

Good call Alpha, and If you asked me what our weakest link was on O at the end of last season. It was RB. I'm willing to eat lots of crow so you can be correct ;  )

Amazing transformation from last season...

Edited by Figster

Disagree. 

I do see Singletary doing a great job this year, though. When called on.

4 hours ago, Gambit said:

That would be awesome but I highly doubt he even reaches 1000 all purpose yds.

Yeah, this is a better question. I'd maybe take the over on that one.

Edited by Thurman#1

I do think he will have a bounce back a bit from last year. By the end of last season Moss was this team's more trusted back. That flips back I reckon and Devin has looked good in pre-season but for Devin to get 15 carries per game... Moss will get at least 6 or 7.... I just don't see this team being a 25 rush per game team. 

I could see his carry number up somewhere near 200 on the year (he has been around 150 the last two years, but the extra game, him playing all 16 and taking a few carries back from Moss... I think 180 to 200 carries) and at a career average of 4.8 (though that is still heavily influenced by his first 5 games as a pro, he averaged 4.4 yards last year) would get him 900 yards plus. 

So not completely impossible he gets 1,000 and I also drafted him late for one of my teams (that since drafting has lost JK Dobbins :( ) but I suspect just under 1,000 and for fantasy I do worry Moss nicks goalline (as will Allen and maybe Gilliam). 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.