Calling it now: Devin will be a 1000 yard back this year

Alphadawg7

34 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

Most of his yards on Sunday came on the last drive when Pitt was playing for the pass.

Pitt was mostly playing for the pass the whole game.  So why does this matter?  Not only did we get those yards on that drive, it was a critical drive of the game and he came up big with them.

Devin also had single digit carries before that drive and also converted some first downs for us.  Its not his fault he was being under used during the game.  

So not sure why you feel like this some how negates his performance when he ran well not only all preseason but in week 1.  And if you look at most RB's, they get a large chunk of their weekly production off a few longer runs.  I just dont understand why this board is so hell bent on discrediting Devins production all the time.  He is a career 4.8 YPC RB, just averaged over 6 ypc in the opener after an impressive camp and preseason...yet here people are, trying to devalue his value on the field for some reason.  

Even Daboll said he had a strong game and offseason in his presser, and I am willing to bet that Devin is even more involved next week.  I mean they have so much confidence in Devin, Moss was a healthy scratch.  

I agree he was very under used. They went 5 wide most of the game, which was ridiculous. They should've ran him more. I'm just saying Pitt was in prevent leaving the line wide open for him to get those chunk plays at the end. He's definitely quicker with his cuts this year. I just don't think Daboll will give him the chance to gain 1,000 yds.

• Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He's gotta stop the fumbling. Three fumbles in two games isn't really acceptable. 

Agree but in the Miami game the fumble outbounds on the sideline on that play doesnt present much risk to me.  Also there was a face mask penalty on that play, not sure how much it mattered to the fumble.

EDIT: all his fumbles are out of bounds.  is this a concern.  hes caring the ball in the correct hand.  It doesnt seem to be much risk to me at all.

Edited by YattaOkasan
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Agree but in the Miami game the fumble outbounds on the sideline on that play doesnt present much risk to me.  Also there was a face mask penalty on that play, not sure how much it mattered to the fumble.

EDIT: all his fumbles are out of bounds.  is this a concern.  hes caring the ball in the correct hand.  It doesnt seem to be much risk to me at all.

It's fortunate. I watch every game and come away feeling that the Bills RBs drop the ball too much.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

It's fortunate. I watch every game and come away feeling that the Bills RBs drop the ball too much.

I guess but I dont really consider them fumbles.  There is no risk.  Theres some good stats about how often youre expected to recover a fumble and its low.  Being near the boundary seems like it would greatly increase the chance of recover (one reason why I was ok with Allens flip to Knox in Houston).  I wonder if/how thats accounted for in that stat.

Edited by YattaOkasan
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Absolutely is a concern

A fumble is a fumble.. he's just getting lucky he's fumbling on the sidelines right now

Eventually it will be in the middle of the field 

He needs to tuck it away

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Absolutely is a concern

A fumble is a fumble.. he's just getting lucky he's fumbling on the sidelines right now

Eventually it will be in the middle of the field 

He needs to tuck it away

I guess.  But I think football is a situational game and as such a fumble on the boundary seems very different situationally than one even 5 yards away.  

1 minute ago, YattaOkasan said:

I guess but I dont really consider them fumbles.  There is no risk.  Theres some good stats about how often youre expected to recover a fumble and its low.  Being near the boundary seems like it would greatly increase that.  I wonder if/how thats accounted for in that stat.

I don't think he has control over when he fumbles. Yes, it's more fortunate to fumble out of bounds.

Just now, YattaOkasan said:

I guess.  But I think football is a situational game and as such a fumble on the boundary seems very different situationally than one even 5 yards away.  

If you break it down situationally sure.. but fumbling is a random occurrence in the NFL

So the location of fumbles is also random.. he's getting lucky he's fumbling on the sideline 

And his touch per fumble ratio is very high.. it's something he can clean up

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

If you break it down situationally sure.. but fumbling is a random occurrence in the NFL

So the location of fumbles is also random.. he's getting lucky he's fumbling on the sideline 

And his touch per fumble ratio is very high.. it's something he can clean up

It is high now.  But it seems good prior to this year right?  I got 1.6% prior to this year.

More context seems that 1.6% is not good.  with this year it would be worse.  Digging into fumbles lost.  

Not sure I agree fumbles on the field are random.  Is there a histogram that shows this? 

Edited by YattaOkasan

30 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He's gotta stop the fumbling. Three fumbles in two games (and just 29 touches) isn't really acceptable. 

Im not worried, he’s never had a fumbling problem before.  And all of those were as he was going out of bounds and prob just wasn’t holding it tight at that point for that reason

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 minute ago, YattaOkasan said:

I got 1 fumble loss in his career (I believe 2019 steelers game with watt getting him good, iirc).  Looking up fumble loss rate.  

Losing fumbles or recovering them is a random thing again.. fumbling is random 

The only thing you can control is when you do cough it up 

Fact is he has coughed it up three times this year in 2 games... He can hold on to it better

10 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

It is high now.  But it seems good prior to this year right?  I got 1.6% prior to this year.

More context seems that 1.6% is not good.  with this year it would be worse.  Digging into fumbles lost.  

Not sure I agree fumbles on the field are random.  Is there a histogram that shows this? 

look graph GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Losing fumbles or recovering them is a random thing again.. fumbling is random 

The only thing you can control is when you do cough it up 

Fact is he has coughed it up three times this year in 2 games... He can hold on to it better

1 FL in 8 fumbles is sorta not random.  If its 50/50 for a recovery (I think odds are worse, but having trouble finding data) then i get a p factor 0.04.  Thats statistically significant (despite a small data set of 8).  So his fumble loss rate is not necessarily random.

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

look graph GIF

Thats amazing.  First glance i threw up because of the song.  But the histogrm was great.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.