Calling it now: Devin will be a 1000 yard back this year

Alphadawg7

I really don't think that is much of a 'call', as with 17 games.

He is averaging 52+ yard rushing per game played for the last 2 years. If he stays healthy and you just project that out...that gets you to almost 900 yards.  Just ONE or two big runs across the entire season, or a slight injury to anyone else in the RB room gets him there (not to mention maybe a little less running by Allen.)

I'm not saying it IS going to happen, but I'd put odds at close to 50-50, especially with the added game this year.

Edited by mjd1001

5 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I really don't think that is much of a 'call', as with 17 games.

He is averaging 52+ yard rushing per game played for the last 2 years. If he stays healthy and you just project that out...that gets you to almost 900 yards.  Just ONE or two big runs across the entire season, or a slight injury to anyone else in the RB room gets him there (not to mention maybe a little less running by Allen.)

I'm not saying it IS going to happen, but I'd put odds at close to 50-50, especially with the added game this year.

Well there are only two choices...he will hit 1000, or he wont...so yeah, guess that makes it a 50-50 call haha.  

All kidding aside, I don't think its that bold of a call either, however, it appears to be to most as the vast majority seem to disagree he will eclipse 1000 yards.  And its a fair take for them given how much we throw and having other RB's in the mix.  But to me, Devin is the best RB on the roster and will out touch Moss by a lot more than people think, making 1000 not only obtainable, but likely in my mind.  

53 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Looks like I am not the only one on the Singletary train this year for a bounce back year and more of a lead role than some think...

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2021/09/07/espn-devin-singletary-buffalo-bills-zack-moss/

We need him to, along with better OL run blocking. Could see Moss improve also in his 2nd year. 

Reading about his off-season training program, I agree Motor will be better this year.

But Daboll is an interesting play caller.  He doesn't give a damn about balance.   He know he's got a great QB and excellent WRs.  He's happy to use those weapons all game long.

And when Daboll does dial up a run, it might not be to Singletary.   He's going to share the rock with Moss and others.   

It's hard for me to envision Motor rushing for a thousand in the Daboll-Allen aerial show.

Edited by hondo in seattle

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Reading about his off-season training program, I agree Motor will be better this year.

But Cahill is an interesting play caller.  He doesn't give a damn about balance.   He know he's got a great QB and excellent WRs.  He's happy to use those weapons all game long.

And when Daboll does dial up a run, it might not be to Singletary.   He's going to share the rock with Moss and others.   

It's hard for me to envision Motor rushing for a thousand in the Daboll-Allen aerial show.

After watching last nights game and also knowing how the Bills prefer to play, this is now  more than ever a passing league. 1000 yard rushers will soon be extinct outside of Baltimore.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

I'm pretty sure that Allen will still lead this team in carries and yards, I'd be surprised if Singletary and Moss combined for 15 carries a game and the hot hand will get the most carries at any given time. Breida, I think will take over Yeldon's role on the weekly inactive list.

Singletary and Moss both had more carries and yards last year than Josh.  I also expect him to run a little less than last year.

His arm is way more devastating than his legs.

He could. 1k is only 58 yards per game or the equivalent of 10-14 carries over 17 games. I have reviewed a bunch of games and both he and Moss had a lot of chunk plays where things looked really good, but they were peppered between a lot of 0-2 yd gains. Some of that is blocking.

I do think people underestimate the importance of a blocking RB in a pass first offense.

Zack Moss showed out as the far better blocker. I think this is a big reason why he gained a 50-50 share with Singletary by season end.

Neither is exceptional as a receiver. I can see 15 or so carries per game for the RBs, but not much more. Enough to take advantage of a defensive front, or to switch things up and threaten balance. If Singletary gets 10 or so a game he has a shot.

Week 1 in the books...

Devin on pace for over 1224 yards after 11 carries and 72 yards rushing, and Moss was a healthy scratch.  

While I don't expect Devin to continue to average 6.6 ypc, I do expect his 11 carries to rise next week given he was one the bright spots of the offense Sunday.  Daboll gave him praise too in his presser that he had a strong game and a strong camp.  

So, I am still feeling confident about this prediction with the first week in the books.  

50 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Week 1 in the books...

Devin on pace for over 1224 yards after 11 carries and 72 yards rushing, and Moss was a healthy scratch.  

While I don't expect Devin to continue to average 6.6 ypc, I do expect his 11 carries to rise next week given he was one the bright spots of the offense Sunday.  Daboll gave him praise too in his presser that he had a strong game and a strong camp.  

So, I am still feeling confident about this prediction with the first week in the books.  

I am calling it,  he won't be the starting RB next season and getting 1000 yards over 17 games is not a big deal. End of the day we need more speed and i just don't see it with him.  Hope he proves me wrong,

• Like (+1) 1

I guess I'm missing something, because when I see Singletary this season I see a quicker guy with some good burst who could and should be able to make some plays.

I'm not saying he should be a focus of the offense, but how about some screens? Draws? A few more straight up runs?

Last game we simplified the game for the Steelers: just meet at the QB. No worries about draws or screens. 

I'm a huge fan of Singletary, and I think he has shown some good things in the preseason and game 1 this year. He looks faster to me, and has the same agility. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I am calling it,  he won't be the starting RB next season and getting 1000 yards over 17 games is not a big deal. End of the day we need more speed and i just don't see it with him.  Hope he proves me wrong,

Total agreement here on one thing.....1000 isn't a big deal.  It's 58 yards per game.  I'm just more worried that Daboll starts having an adjustment ready for when things aren't going well.  Our offense has been pretty much shut down their last three games.  I'm not scared yet, but it's becoming worrisome.  I also don't mind if we pass a lot, but my god, at some point we have to be able to run the ball a bit, even when the other team is suspecting us to do so.  It's a mindset from the coaching staff and the guys up front.  We need to run it some.  And what Singletary did Sunday, with basically the one good series, isn't running the ball with a mindset to get it done.  I think Singletary is fine for this team.  It was simply what the Steelers decided to give us at that point in the game.  I think the OC needs to treat the RB's as though they are capable of playing ball in the NFL and let them go a bit more.  

Come on Daboll, we need you now.  Show some diversity in that playbook, and create a tad more balance.

Edited by Lv-Bills

the Singletary argument is totally circular:

Singletary can't make plays, he's too slow. 

Singletary averages 6.5 YPC

Well, he caught the defense off guard.

Isn't the point to catch the defense? Gash them a few times so they have to think twice about just rushing the QB every play? 

• Agree 3

I think its doable.  Like 60 yards a game average and an extra game.  After last week I expect more balance and more 21 personal.   I dont expect 3 yards and a cloud of dust football.  Use more traditional sets and use tempo and spread to keep defense guessing.

Like anything else in football all off 1 thing becomes easy for the defense to handle.  The up tempo is like Allens arm strength. The right time its a game changer.  All the time limits the offense.

28 minutes ago, Lv-Bills said:

Total agreement here on one thing.....1000 isn't a big deal.  It's 58 yards per game.  I'm just more worried that Daboll starts having an adjustment ready for when things aren't going well.  Our offense has been pretty much shut down their last three games.  I'm not scared yet, but it's becoming worrisome.  I also don't mind if we pass a lot, but my god, at some point we have to be able to run the ball a bit, even when the other team is suspecting us to do so.  It's a mindset from the coaching staff and the guys up front.  We need to run it some.  And what Singletary did Sunday, with basically the one good series, isn't running the ball with a mindset to get it done.  I think Singletary is fine for this team.  It was simply what the Steelers decided to give us at that point in the game.  I think the OC needs to treat the RB's as though they are capable of playing ball in the NFL and let them go a bit more.  

Come on Daboll, we need you now.  Show some diversity in that playbook, and create a tad more balance.

I think he is a decent RB but we need a more explosive RB if we want to be a superbowl contender.  We need someone who can make big plays both running and catching the ball out of the backfield and that is not him.  It was problem last season and Beane even admitted as much after the KC game. The guy does not have burst to the line and is not someone you can count on to make big catches.  My predicition is if he remains healthy he starts every game and will not be an answer but more of a problem in the playoffs.  They will then invest a high pick into more explosive big play back both running & receiving. 

32 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

the Singletary argument is totally circular:

Singletary averages 6.5 YPC

Well, he caught the defense off guard.

Isn't the point to catch the defense? Gash them a few times so they have to think twice about just rushing the QB every play? 

He also fumbled twice on Sunday and 4.65 forty is slow,  had the biggest drop of that KC playoff game on 3rd down. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.