Calling it now: Devin will be a 1000 yard back this year

Alphadawg7

I know, I know…we are a passing team and have a RB by committee type approach on paper.

But…I think we are going to see Devin actually be used more as a lead back than people think.  Moss will also still get touches, with Brieda likely being peppered in some too.

But I think Devin will average around 15 carries a game.  And with his career YPC  of 4.8 YPC that would put him at 1152 yards on a 16 game season, and 1224 on a 17 game season.

Ive been drafting Singletary late in FFL because he’s been available in every draft I’ve done in the later rounds with Moss always going ahead of him too.  But barring injury, I think that Devin is going to out touch Moss by a bigger margin than many expect.  

And to be clear, that’s not a knock on Moss by any means, I just think Singletary is going to be a break out player for us this year.  People forget in his rookie year, despite splitting carries, he was in the top 10 in most 20+ Yard runs, and averaged over 5 YPC.  Last year, coaches talked about how lack of camp hurt him, especially conditioning. 

Well this year he’s in the best shape of his life and I think he looks substantially better so far than he did last year and is going to be our most effective RB with Moss working more to spell him or down and short situations.  Brieda, if active on game days (skeptical you they will have 5 active RBs on game day) will be more of a receiving back in passing situations.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

If the offense is clicking and we get out in front a lot I can see this happening. Especially with the grind it out carries in the 4th. If the defense is like last year then I expect the run game to just be used to try and keep teams off balance. 

• Agree 1

I think he looked great in preseason. He clearly did a lot of work in the offseason because he's faster and stronger than ever. I think he will average 5 YPC, but I'm just not sure how many carries he will get in this pass-first offense. 

Last year, Moss split some carries but missed some games with injuries and Yeldon was always inactive. With Moss and Breida taking reps away this year it will be tough to get to 1,000.

Edited by Allen2Diggs

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I know, I know…we are a passing team and have a RB by committee type approach on paper.

But…I think we are going to see Devin actually be used more as a lead back than people think.  Moss will also still get touches, with Brieda likely being peppered in some too.

But I think Devin will average around 15 carries a game.  And with his career YPC  of 4.8 YPC that would put him at 1152 yards on a 16 game season, and 1224 on a 17 game season.

Ive been drafting Singletary late in FFL because he’s been available in every draft I’ve done in the later rounds with Moss always going ahead of him too.  But barring injury, I think that Devin is going to out touch Moss by a bigger margin than many expect.  

And to be clear, that’s not a knock on Moss by any means, I just think Singletary is going to be a break out player for us this year.  People forget in his rookie year, despite splitting carries, he was in the top 10 in most 20+ Yard runs, and averaged over 5 YPC.  Last year, coaches talked about how lack of camp hurt him, especially conditioning. 

Well this year he’s in the best shape of his life and I think he looks substantially better so far than he did last year and is going to be our most effective RB with Moss working more to spell him or down and short situations.  Brieda, if active on game days (skeptical you they will have 5 active RBs on game day) will be more of a receiving back in passing situations.

I agree Motor looks in great shape! Need to keep him healthy if he'll have a shot.

I think he has a decent chance at 1k all-purpose.  Only reason the rushing might be challenging, is just touches.  I can't see him carrying 15x a game with our pass heavy scheme.  10 carries a week, with a few catches is reasonable tho. 

Moss will get 5-10 a game, depending down and distance.  

Always been a fan of Motor, and think it will be his best year yet. He has great vision and ability to get tough yards after contact

• Agree 1

To be clear, I also expect us to have multi score leads a lot this year with how explosive our passing offense is and how much better I think our defense will be compared to last year.  

So I just think we are going to see more carries than people are expecting, not because our offense changed or isnt working correctly.  

Beane and McD have both discussed the need to improve our overall rushing attack as well, so I can see us starting to chew clock once we get up to keep the D fresh as well. To be clear, Devin only needs like 12 carries a game to reach 1000 yards based on his career average.  Its not as far out as I think some think it is.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

46 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Agreed, and I have been drafting DS too in my leagues. Sort of surprised that Miss is ranked ahead of him because I think we will see Moss as the second option and maybe around the goal line.

To those on here who think having a 1,000 rusher in this pass-first offense is implausible, it’s not. Aaron Jones had over 1000 yards last year. CEH easily would have also had over 1000 had he not been injured (had 800 in 13 games).  

• Like (+1) 2

We passed 65% of the time last year is the stat I read.  The whole team would have to avg. about 20 times a game.  

Alpha, I love you're excitement, but between Motor, Moss and Breida along with Josh is a tall order.  I think he’ll do well, but I’d take the bet more so of 1000 all pirpose yards.  The 17th game and injuries is the x factor.  Motors been hurt in both of the first two years for a few games.

I've been the biggest critic of him. He looked terrible last year.

Hes looked "faster" this preseason. I don't think all the sudden at 24yrs old [HAPPY BDAY DEVIN, ITS TODAY HAD TO LOOK IT UP], he suddenly got faster. I do think he's in better shape, but I'm thinking the game finally slowed down for him some. He's thinking less and instinctual again. I think he's going to serve me a buffet of crow!

I don't really care how many yards he has total, as long as he looks sharp, picks up necessary first downs, and most importantly KEEPS DEFENSES HONEST. If he does that with 600yds, great year. If that means 1,000-1,300 yards, then we're blowing teams out and that's great too. 

500yards receiving would be a huge! I'd much rather see that number than any other 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I'm a big Devin Singletary fan but I'm going to say he comes in at around 850. There will be a time when he gets beat up and Moss is going to out touch him then. There will also be games we don't run. Plain and simple.

What I say is Devin is going to regain his 5.1 yds./carry. I think he gets a 10.0 yds./catch as well which is pretty damn good for a back. He's going to make first tacklers miss and get extra yardage. He'll make it look so easy fans won't appreciate what he is doing.

I say he is another great weapon for Josh to use. What he'll do more than anything though is block and he will block very well too.

He's a good player.

Go Bills!

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He had a lot more carries than Moss last season.....yet the addition of Moss dropped Singletary's carries/game 22% (and his YPC) from his rookie year to under 10 a game.  Now with Brieda added as well, you think his carries will suddenly go up 50%?  3 backs (plus Josh) carrying the rock and you see DS getting the most carries of his career so far (by a lot)?

I don't follow your logic.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Gambit said:

That would be awesome but I highly doubt he even reaches 1000 all purpose yds.

He had 969 all purpose yards in his rookie season and even 956 total yards last year when the run game was a total mess so I don't think 1000 would be that surprising. 

Edited by thurst44
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Gambit said:

That would be awesome but I highly doubt he even reaches 1000 all purpose yds.

I think Josh is going to spread the ball out a ton this year so a 1000 all purpose yards is possible for Singletary. I don't think he will sniff 1000 rushing yards though. Moss is going to get some carries as well and this team might lead the league in pass attempts.

6 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Hopefully your right, I took a late round flyer on him in my Fantasy league lol

Is Davis being drafted in fantasy leagues? I like him to have 1000 yards this year. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.