Tom Brady sez in interview that refs are flagging defenses too much

UConn James

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

Flutie said he almost retired from throwing a bad pass to thurman i believe that got him hurt.  Warner said the same after the Boldin face breaking incident. He's right

Wait… I thought Flutie almost retired Thurman by throwing a pass that he said wasn’t his fault, if Thurman was taller and slower he wouldn’t have gotten obliterated trying to catch it. 

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

I don't disagree at all with what he said but the fact is he's one of the big reasons why the rules have changed how they have. 

They literally made a rule because of him going out for the season.

I know he didn't make the rule but the nfl had to protect its cash cow. 

The NFL made the rule because of him, Manning, & a few other QBs. Be honest the NFL treats QBs as high value items and losing them for a season is a major hurt ratings wise. Like you said protect the cash cow. The thing that is interesting is when it comes to non QBs and how he views that even they are more protected. To me it goes back to 2010 when they adjusted the head shot rules and big hits. I distinctly remember Whitner held up on a hit against the Ravens that a year earlier would've crushed the guy and stopped the TD in the middle of the endzone. It is a tough balance to protect players especially with head hits, but it does feel its swung too far.

2 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Again, isn’t that what every QB should be doing trying to get the advantage for his team? 

I sometimes get grief as he is now in my second city which is very odd, but he does appreciably complain more to the refs than many QB’s (for example, JA17).  I don’t have the same problem with TB as several on the board.  He currently is the GOAT and I don’t  see almost anyone else ever playing in the SB as often as he did for the last 20 years. 

A sidebar is this board has been active all day.  

Edited by machine gun kelly

As much as I loathe this dude, I've been able to somewhat enjoy him in the NFC. 100% Disingenuous here, but he's nor wrong. He never woulda said this in NE or that "you want this mf*er" comment there. I'm a football fan first, before a Bills fan, and its been fun to see Marcia let his hair down and enjoy it some. Dudes the GOAT he's earned it. 

🍺🍻 now here's to hoping he gets smacked in the mouth early and often this season 🍻🍺

• Agree 1

One, he's absolutely right; and two, I don't think he's complaining about it at all.  He's saying that's how it is.  And then when he goes out there he milks it for all it's worth.

I get the feeling that like your grandfather or elderly uncle, he's a lot more comfortable these days saying exactly what he thinks.

I remember a play a few years ago Bill vs Patriots, Brady throws a interception, while half heartedly moving in the direction of the return a Bills player pushes his shoulder. It wasn’t much of a push and at that point he is no longer a QB he is a defender. Result was a 15 yard roughing call. 

"The quarterback messes up, doesn’t see the blitzer, or the line screws up. I don’t know what happened, the quarterback or the lineman on offense. The defensive player comes in and hits him hard and they throw a flag on the defense."

This is almost exactly what happened to Boogie Basham versus the Bears, QB was inexperienced, never saw him coming.

I don't care what anybody thinks, Tom Brady is the GOAT in any professional sport and his greatness transcends anything we'll ever see in our lifetimes.

In a weird way I think he's going to be missed by a lot of fans across the NFL spectrum and don't think the game will ever be the same again no matter how much Mahomes and other heir apparents are hyped up.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

"The quarterback messes up, doesn’t see the blitzer, or the line screws up. I don’t know what happened, the quarterback or the lineman on offense. The defensive player comes in and hits him hard and they throw a flag on the defense."

This is almost exactly what happened to Boogie Basham versus the Bears, QB was inexperienced, never saw him coming.

Wasn't it Smith?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

The NFL made the rule because of him, Manning, & a few other QBs. Be honest the NFL treats QBs as high value items and losing them for a season is a major hurt ratings wise. Like you said protect the cash cow. The thing that is interesting is when it comes to non QBs and how he views that even they are more protected. To me it goes back to 2010 when they adjusted the head shot rules and big hits. I distinctly remember Whitner held up on a hit against the Ravens that a year earlier would've crushed the guy and stopped the TD in the middle of the endzone. It is a tough balance to protect players especially with head hits, but it does feel its swung too far.

I'm only going off of memory, which is very suspect I'll grant you, but prior to the Brady injury, the last time I remember a qb getting taken out for a season/career was Theismann.  

That role was put in place because of his injury, the same way the tuck rule was put into place because of him. 

In regard to the defensive stuff, absolutely agree.  The only thing they made fair was being able to push a player out of bounds if he's going up for a catch. 

4 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I'm sure he feels different when he's on the field. 

I suspect he feels differently when he’s on the sideline….and HIS defense is on the field! It’s all about Tommy, after all. What’s best for Tommy? Let HIS defense play the way the game used to be played, but protect HIM like a little china doll! 

Can’t have it both ways, Tommy. Or…..maybe he can? It’s the newest version of “Jordan Rules”. 

• Agree 1