Brett Favre talks with Trent Dilfer about his closest comp .. Josh Allen.

CorkScrewHill

5 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Personally, I’d prefer for Josh to NOT be compared to Favre

I see some similarities, but the bottom line is I think Favre is flattering himself here. I wouldn’t trade young Josh for a young Favre, would you? And that’s just ON the field. As far as off the field, I wouldn’t even take the call. LOVE our Josh! 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, TheProcess said:

I don’t know that I get his point about Josh’s modest stats. Maybe when you look at all 3 years of his career so far, taking some sort of average or something, but I think it’s pretty universally accepted that Josh exploded on the scene stat-wise last year. 

Clearly he was merely referring to his first 2 years. Last year his stats were mvp worthy. I still gringe a little regarding Josh's ability to secure the ball but there has been development there too. Favre won 1 SB, I see JA17 getting 2.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, TheProcess said:

I don’t know that I get his point about Josh’s modest stats. Maybe when you look at all 3 years of his career so far, taking some sort of average or something, but I think it’s pretty universally accepted that Josh exploded on the scene stat-wise last year. 

18 hours ago, TheProcess said:

I took that to mean that in his opinion he believes that the stats Josh has put up thus far are just a fraction of what he's capable of.  And its a bit of a nod to recognizing that now that Josh has a team that's built to take advantage of his arm talent that he expects that the stats haven't reached Josh's ceiling.  Maybe I'm just reading what I believe in his statement, but thats how I'm taking his comment.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/3/2021 at 10:24 AM, CorkScrewHill said:

Like him Josh tries to run over people, raw, winner.

Referenced Daboll was his QB coach at the Jets would want Josh to stop trying to run over people. Feels other than height, Josh is a bit more polished and more careful with turnovers. Closest to old school .. wins games whatever is called for.

If want to watch the interview starts at 42:30 goes to 45:50. having been around back in the Favre days .. I can definitely see it..

Tony Romo was more like Brett …Josh is a 6’5 John Elway even John Gruden thinks so

On 9/3/2021 at 4:41 PM, FilthyBeast said:

Favre comparison is interesting but I still think Elway is a better comparison to Allen.

And if he can have a similar career don't think anyone will complain considering how many total SB's Elway led the Broncos too (winning 2 of them).

Even John Gruden thinks that’s the guy Josh is 

I love Josh Allen as much as the next fan, but let's cut the "Allen is BETTER than Favre" BS 😒

Favre played at a high level for nearly 20 years. For the stat crowd that brought up that Allen's 2020 season was better than any of Favres...it was a different ERA. Look no further than his 1st vikings season where he put up 33 TD to 7 picks (his best TD-INT) w/ 4200 yards at nearly 41 years old. It's not that he all the sudden got better, these were the times when pass interference, def holding, and roughing calls started becoming more prevalent. Coincidence? I don't think so. Same w/ Tom Brady. There's no way he would've held up this long in any other decade before this.

I'm going to lump you guys in w/ the "Allen is better than Jim Kelly" crowd also. The bottom line is both Kelly & Favre would've absolutely CRUSHED it in this era. I'm not even that old, but I've seen enough games from that time to know the difference. A lot of fans need a serious history lesson on the NFL. 😒

On 9/3/2021 at 10:45 AM, mushypeaches said:

I think that Josh is already a better QB than Favre

Josh had one elite season. Favre is a certified HOFer w/ a ring. Cool your jets...

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles
  • Like (+1) 1

Thats his comp in my eyes.  I think he wants to be Aaron Rodgers.  Limited the errant throws and decisions.  Josh seems like a very smart guy.  I think the less he runs the less reckless he will play.  Every now and again the stuff he does with the ball as a runner is exciting.

The days of leaping 6-5 LBs, hit sticking OLBs for a first down, in the first half, of a game your leading in September needs to be over.  Once that happens than he will be more Rodgers and not Farve.  Either way Allen and the Bills are a 3 game stretch of hot Allen away from the Super Bowl.  Allen vs SF, DEN, NE last year beats anyone.  

10 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Thats his comp in my eyes.  I think he wants to be Aaron Rodgers.  Limited the errant throws and decisions.  Josh seems like a very smart guy.  I think the less he runs the less reckless he will play.  Every now and again the stuff he does with the ball as a runner is exciting.

He's going to run less and less pretty much every year. We are already seeing it. It's a combination of him getting better as a passer (reading the field), knowing he should take care of himself and throw it rather than run, and eventually age limiting his running ability. If there is a prop for Josh Allen rushing yards this year I would hammer the under. But in the postseason take the over because when the stakes are raised he's still going to run more than his season average like we saw in this last postseason.

• Like (+1) 1