Brett Favre talks with Trent Dilfer about his closest comp .. Josh Allen.

CorkScrewHill

Like him Josh tries to run over people, raw, winner.

Referenced Daboll was his QB coach at the Jets would want Josh to stop trying to run over people. Feels other than height, Josh is a bit more polished and more careful with turnovers. Closest to old school .. wins games whatever is called for.

If want to watch the interview starts at 42:30 goes to 45:50. having been around back in the Favre days .. I can definitely see it..

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 11

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

High praise.  But hopefully Josh is a little more careful with the ball (and doesn't have the substance abuse issues).  

Favre said it.   He said these guys today take better care of the ball than they did in his era.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It seems like Favre has only seen highlights of Josh & isn't at all familiar with his 2020 season. He says "He's raw" & "He isn't putting up crazy numbers, yet". Neither of those are remotely true, it's like he's talking about Josh after his 2019 season.

Josh 2020- 4,544 yards & 45 total TD. 10 INTs

Favre's best statistical season (1996)- 4,413 yards & 40 total TDs. 13 INTs

Edited by 947
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I think that Josh is already a better QB than Favre

I don't want to be heretical, but my opinion - or at least, that Josh is a better QB than Favre was until some time into his career.

The modern NFL just can not tolerate a guy throwing more INTs than TDs, or throwing more than 1 INT per game.

Favre was/is a complete rock head. Josh is so much more intelligent that Favre. It allows him to run a much more complex offense. Favre constantly rifled balls into tight coverage, whereas Josh consistently reads the defense and finds the open player. 

The only comparisons I see between these two is their competitiveness and physical ability sling the ball. 

Favre averaged ~27 TDs and ~18 picks a season (1.5 ratio) over 19 seasons where he was the starter.

Josh averages ~22 TDs and ~10 picks a season (2.2 ratio) over just 3 seasons as a starter (and he's only just hit his stride).

Granted the league was less passing oriented in Favre's day but I think Elway is a better comparison.

• Like (+1) 1