Lawsuit accuses Cornelius Bennett of sexually assaulting teen in 1992

billsfan1959

Isn't there a legal (and logical) statute of limitations for something like this? 

And concerning Nirvana baby, he has profited off this album cover, even doing promotional shoots a few years ago to celebrate an anniversary. If he didn't get royalties (not sure that is even correct) it's his parents' fault not Nirvana. 

8 minutes ago, Beast said:

No, I pulled that quote out because it is the most ridiculous claim ever. Employers aren't obligated to supervise people while they are away from work.

Remember Jerry Jones did that with Dez Bryant (I think it was). Wanted him supervised at all times or whatever lol

5 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

Isn't there a legal (and logical) statute of limitations for something like this

And concerning Nirvana baby, he has profited off this album cover, even doing promotional shoots a few years ago to celebrate an anniversary. If he didn't get royalties (not sure that is even correct) it's his parents' fault not Nirvana. 

It definitely should be for sure

3 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I believe off the field issues are not supposed to factor in to the voting; however, I'm sure for some (maybe many?) it does.

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the Hall of Fame (which I don't think he necessarily belongs)

There's no voting for Wall of Fame that I'm aware of, I'm pretty sure it's entirely up to ownership.

Everyone questioning the timing should maybe slow down.  If you're a 17 year old girl in 1992 how comfortable are you coming forward with these allegations (keeping in mind the team's popularity and Bennet's importance.)  There's been a sea change in how these things are viewed in the last 30 years, it doesn't mean it wasn't wrong then.  And I'm not saying he's guilty either, just that there's no good reason to judge this woman right now.

Re: suing the NFL and or team, and their culpability, maybe she does feel like she should be compensated and that's her best course (I don't know the state of CB's financial affairs.)  It does seem like a big stretch to claim they are responsible for their employee unless there is some other prior knowledge or action taken (let's say if Bennet was previously accused and it is shown that the team or league covered it up.)

Edited by Captain Caveman
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the Hall of Fame (which I don't think he necessarily belongs)

There's no voting for Wall of Fame that I'm aware of, I'm pretty sure it's entirely up to ownership.

Ha! I thought he wrote "Hall" of Fame. Those senior moments....

8 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

Everyone questioning the timing should maybe slow down.  If you're a 17 year old girl in 1992 how comfortable are you coming forward with these allegations (keeping in mind the team's popularity and Bennet's importance.)  There's been a sea change in how these things are viewed in the last 30 years, it doesn't mean it wasn't wrong then.  And I'm not saying he's guilty either, just that there's no good reason to judge this woman right now.

Being 17 yrs old I can get waiting a few years. But 30 years I can't understand. In 2002 she would have been 27. A grown woman, so the young stuff goes out the window. 2012 she hits 37 yrs old. Still nothing, moving forward to now she should be 46 going on 47. Now she decides she's comfortable? I just don't buy it

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

3 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Wait, the Bills and NFL didn't properly supervise him...but she was 17 and unsupervised in a bar selling flowers?

This ain't it.

4 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

In 2002 she would have been 27. A grown woman, so the young stuff goes out the window.

What exactly do you mean by that?

1 minute ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Being 17 yrs old I can get waiting a few years. But 30 years I can't understand. In 2002 she would have been 27. A grown woman, so the young stuff goes out the window. 2012 she hits 37 yrs old. Still nothing, moving forward to now she should be 46 going on 47. Now she decides she's comfortable? I just don't buy it

There is a lot of writing out there about why people wait to disclose sexual assault, it's been happening for years (think Boy Scouts, Catholic Church, etc...) 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BRH said:

This ain't it.

What exactly do you mean by that?

It's not difficult....poster said in 1992 she was 17 and young, which I agree with. I said by 2007 she was 27 yrs old. Meaning not a young teenage girl anymore. Very simple

1 minute ago, Captain Caveman said:

There is a lot of writing out there about why people wait to disclose sexual assault, it's been happening for years (think Boy Scouts, Catholic Church, etc...) 

I get that, but 30 years just seems fishy

30 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

Then you’re simply not aware. 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Agree 1

Just now, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

It's not difficult....poster said in 1992 she was 17 and young, which I agree with. I said by 2007 she was 27 yrs old. Meaning not a young teenage girl anymore. Very simple

I get that, but 30 years just seems fishy

How many boy scouts and altar boys came out 30+ years later?  Bennet has a history of sexual assault during that time period.  If you have a hard time giving the alleged victim the benefit of the doubt then literally the least you can do is keep it to yourself.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Captain Caveman said:

How many boy scouts and altar boys came out 30+ years later?  Bennet has a history of sexual assault during that time period.  If you have a hard time giving the alleged victim the benefit of the doubt then literally the least you can do is keep it to yourself.

I honestly can't think of any that went 30 yrs. I recall hearing about some that was around 15-20 years. Also yes I have a hard time giving the benefit of doubt and no I will not keep it to myself as this is a message board. Also it looks as if there are quite a few in this thread that are questioning the 30 yrs. You don't like it, don't read it then and keep it to Yourself. 

See how that can work?

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I honestly can't think of any that went 30 yrs. I recall hearing about some that was around 15-20 years. Also yes I have a hard time giving the benefit of doubt and no I will not keep it to myself as this is a message board. Also it looks as if there are quite a few in this thread that are questioning the 30 yrs. You don't like it, don't read it then and keep it to Yourself. 

See how that can work?

Hardly the same thing.

47 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

Quit while you’re ahead.

Wait.

Too late for that. 🤦‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

People try to bury these things and move on. I don't think it is fishy for someone to come out 30 years later. It can take 30 years for people to finally get the courage to do something. For many people, they NEVER get the courage.

Have to let it play out in a court of law. I highly doubt there is any kind of evidence, so it's going to be her word against his.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, BRH said:

Hardly the same thing.

Wha? What's hardly the same thing? Don't know what you're talking about? Unless you mean 17 yrs old and 27 yrs old are hardly the same and no longer a teenager? In which case you would be agreeing with me

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It's true.  He served prison time after pleading guilty to sexual assault in Buffalo in 1997.  It's the real reason he's not on the Wall of Fame.

Wow. Makes sense, I never knew these things about him. Sucks.

4 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I believe off the field issues are not supposed to factor in to the voting; however, I'm sure for some (maybe many?) it does.

The wall is decided by who? I always assumed the owners, not voters.