Thinking about moving back to the Buffalo area.

NewEra

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Thanks for the feedback.  Any idea what the taxes are like in Hamburg?  Other have mentioned that the taxes fluctuate wildly from town to town 

do a google search on tax rates anywhere and it will tell you. Hamburg/Blasdell for shorter work trips.  Rural Eden or Angola that would be somewhere in between.

NY in general has higher tax rates. If you live on the south end of Hamburg near rout 5 your a 20-25 minute ride down town in rush hour. Some days longer.

I think more info would help. Do you want to love close to mother or closer to work or in between?

• Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Read his original post. He has a mother in Dunkirk ... at some point he may need to go there daily... Think he wants a 45 min. drive to see his mother... in stress....

Yeah, I did. He said he would be looking to move his mother closer to downtown Buffalo where he'll be working. 

I also had a family member with dementia that I helped care for many years. It's a long road, but there's also moments where you're reminded to slow down and appreciate the good days.

Hope you guys have a good weekend with family and friends. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

do a google search on tax rates anywhere and it will tell you. Hamburg/Blasdell for shorter work trips.  Rural Eden or Angola that would be somewhere in between.

NY in general has higher tax rates. If you live on the south end of Hamburg near rout 5 your a 20-25 minute ride down town in rush hour. Some days longer.

I think more info would help. Do you want to love close to mother or closer to work or in between?

We’ll most likely sell her house and move her in with us.  We’re looking for houses 2500-3500 sq feet.  Maybe a split family or something similar. Not sure if many exist in the area.  All of our friends and family are in Dunkirk, so something in between Dunkirk and Buffalo would probably be best if we find the right house for the right $

Edited by NewEra

Live in Cheektowaga in the house I grew up in . Mom turned 95 Wednesday and has dementia. Hospice comes around weekly (we live only a mile from their HQ).   Since you are familiar with Dunkirk,you are familiar with the snow belts. Recently, Hamburg, Blasdel, Cheektowaga. West seneca, Depew, Lancaste and Clarence have been the hardest hit. We had 7 feet in 2014, but the town hall 2 miles away had only 6 inches and the airport had none.

Sorry about your mother. Mine is also sliding and we just moved her into a local facility.

Having lived here for 40+ years – my perspective: Basically, any of the ring suburbs are 30 minutes from the stadium depending on when you leave on game day. I live on Grand Island and get to Hammer’s in under 30 minutes. All the ring towns are less. First, everyone will tell how hot the market is in Buffalo. Compared to other parts of the country Buffalo is still a bargain. Second, if it is important to you – consider the snow belt. Anywhere south of Genesee and Walden put you under the belt. North of there – the snow situation is much easier. If you are looking for a duplex or mother-in-law apartment – North Buffalo is very good – the Herel area is really booming. Yes, it is the city – but housing stock is available (but older) City services are not up to par with the suburbs. Amherst and Tonawanda have well established older neighborhoods and everything you need for life. Williamsville and parts of Amherst get pricey. Cheektowaga and West Seneca are older and denser but still of value. If you are looking for room – Hamburg would be the way to go. Orchard Park is expensive. As far as commuting – we like to say everything is 20 minutes away. Buffalo rush hours last one hour (unless an accident). COVID has made it basically a joke. As for areas to avoid - any neighborhoods bordering the city. Violence is up (like anywhere) but the city is worse.  Mortgages are under 3%. My daughter just bought her first house. My daughter just bought her first house 1300 sq ft. for $220K + 1 acre. Ask away if you need more.

13 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yeah the parking isn't always great but it is a truly lovely town imo. 

Now that the State "improved" Main Street the daytime traffic has become horrendous (in the Village)

Edited by Bob Lamb
Spelling

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Thanks for the feedback.  Any idea what the taxes are like in Hamburg?  Other have mentioned that the taxes fluctuate wildly from town to town 

Taxes vary by village, town and school district. Also look at water (cheap) until they attach it to your sewer bill. Property taxes are supposedly frozen at 2% a year. School taxes are separate and go up every year. 

Edited by Bob Lamb
Spelling
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

We’ll most likely sell her house and move he in with us.  We’re looking for houses 2500-3500 sq feet.  Maybe a split family or something similar. Not sure if many exist in the area.  All of our friends and family are in Dunkirk, so something in between Dunkirk and Buffalo would probably be best if we find the right house for the right $

I guessed right, that either way you would want to commute to Dunkirk often. From south to north just before the city on Rout 5.. I am sure you know Rout 5 right? and rout 20 and I 90. So. 

from close to Dunkirk to close to Buffalo in order from south(Dunkirk) to north (Buffalo)

Dunkirk

Silvercreek

Angola

Hamburg

Blasdell

Then Buffalo

(Keep in mind, there are lots of micro communities in between that are great, just longer travels to get to stores)

If you like the farm life. Eden is the place for you!

Angola, would be the middle most area

Close to buffalo, go Hamburg then Blasdell.

Again... ya need a guide look me up.

Edited by PrimeTime101

8 hours ago, Bob Lamb said:

Now that the State "improved" Main Street the daytime traffic has become horrendous (in the Village)

Bob, great to hear from you!:) Are you back in WNY?

I don't know if you remember the 2 Jerrys I introduced you to, but one of them bought the house in Williamsville that his wife grew up in. The "crew" spends time up there in the summer and we are very fond of the area.

I usually stay at the Hampton Inn on Main Street. From there we can walk to SO many cool places to include a very good brewery. We met the chef and the food is good. So is the New England IPA they make. :) 

My fiance and I take walks in the very nice parks and the food is superb. With so many cities in decline (not sure about Buffalo), I find that the food quality in the suburbs has vastly improved. 

I remember when we met you in that little bar. It was as if you owned the town! 👍

Hope all is well!!!

15 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Read his original post. He has a mother in Dunkirk ... at some point he may need to go there daily... Think he wants a 45 min. drive to see his mother... in stress....

Bro..

You are mistaken.    He specifically mentioned relocating her from Dunkirk to elsewhere. :thumbsup:

On 9/3/2021 at 2:41 PM, RiotAct said:

Disagree with “awful”, especially having lived in the D.C. metro area for 7 years

Stand still traffic, is stand still traffic no matter what city it is in.  

I can't stand arguments like, you think that is bad, just imagine living in city X.  I'm not moving while sitting in a line of cars, what does it matter what city I'm sitting in?

On 9/4/2021 at 10:47 AM, Captain_Quint said:

@Dunkirk Don

Care to chime in on land purchases in or around Dunkirk? I heard most of the land has been gobbled up by investors. 

What investors are buying in Dunkirk?  No offense to people that live in Dunkirk, but they could use some investors to make that place nice.  No city on the water should look like that.

In today's world, do you really need to be in an office or is it something where you work remotely for most of the time, and take the 45 minute drive a couple/few times a week.  I'd imagine keeping a dementia patient in familiar environments would be a great benefit to her

On 9/3/2021 at 3:32 AM, NewEra said:

My mother is starting to show signs of dimentia, so my wife and I are considering moving back East and buying a home so she can live with us and we can take care of her as she gets older. 

She lives in Dunkirk and that’s really the only town I know very well. We’d be looking to buy and relocate her somewhere closer to the city of Buffalo as I’d probably be working downtown.  

any recommendations on which suburbs are the best bang for the buck regarding real estate.  Would prefer to be within 30 minutes or so from the stadium. 

Maybe more importantly, any areas we should avoid?

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, The Poojer said:

In today's world, do you really need to be in an office or is it something where you work remotely for most of the time, and take the 45 minute drive a couple/few times a week.  I'd imagine keeping a dementia patient in familiar environments would be a great benefit to her

I’ve worked in the Vegas hospitality industry for the last 23 years after getting my bachelors in sociology with a concentration in social services. Slight sales background as well but haven’t found a sales job that I’ve enjoyed.  Contemplating opening a business.  Lots of options, will likely look for a bartending gig while I figure things out.  

Anyone hiring a bartender with 15 years of 5 Star 5 Diamond service experience as well as management? ☺️

I grew up in Dunkirk and there is really nothing there anymore, not that it was bustling by any stretch of the imagination when I was there.  Such a shame, it's right on the water with beautiful views.  They fixed up the Marina, which is really nice, but that's about it.  Houses are definitely cheap there.  That being said, if you Mother has been there for some time, is she willing to leave?  My parents still live there and I would have to drag them out.  

If she's willing to move, I would choose the northtowns (Amherst, Getzville, Williamsville, Clarence, Lancaster) personally.  If your mother wants to stay in Dunkirk, I would go with Eden or Hamburg, 30 minute drive to/from Dunkirk.  

People always complain about the taxes, but the overall cost of living is relatively low in this area and I really think it pretty much evens out in the long run.

Best of luck!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.