Thinking about moving back to the Buffalo area.

NewEra

My mother is starting to show signs of dimentia, so my wife and I are considering moving back East and buying a home so she can live with us and we can take care of her as she gets older. 

She lives in Dunkirk and that’s really the only town I know very well. We’d be looking to buy and relocate her somewhere closer to the city of Buffalo as I’d probably be working downtown.  

any recommendations on which suburbs are the best bang for the buck regarding real estate.  Would prefer to be within 30 minutes or so from the stadium. 

Maybe more importantly, any areas we should avoid?

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 9

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You have my sympathy on your mother. Been there with two grandparents and now my dad who is only in his 60s. Dementia really sucks.

Thanks.  Her symptoms are still very slight so I think we’ll still have some quality time with her, but It’s going to be painful to watch the transformation.   

never thought I’d go back to the east coast but my wife is over vegas and looking to be a part of a smaller, more comfortable community.  

I’m only moving back so I can get season tickets and feel even closer to the team. Oh yeah…….and my mom.  ☺️

• Like (+1) 9

I can’t help with your specific question as I don’t live up there.  I’m sorry to hear about your mom.  Going through it with my mother in law now.  Recommend you get on the FB groups as I was ill prepared for all the heart breaking things that happened.  We went with assisted living and now we are at the memory care level.  Good luck!

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

My mother is starting to show signs of dimentia, so my wife and I are considering moving back East and buying a home so she can live with us and we can take care of her as she gets older. 

She lives in Dunkirk and that’s really the only town I know very well. We’d be looking to buy and relocate her somewhere closer to the city of Buffalo as I’d probably be working downtown.  

any recommendations on which suburbs are the best bang for the buck regarding real estate.  Would prefer to be within 30 minutes or so from the stadium. 

Blasdell Ny  Close to EVERYTHINNG including 5-10 minutes to the stadium

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Blasdell,+NY+14219/@42.7946096,-78.8406922,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x89d30fe3926e412d:0x991163af758fcb88!8m2!3d42.797281!4d-78.8233661

Square mile of Joy some call it. You would be close to rout 5 down town 15 minutes max and close to rout 5 that takes you to Dunkirk.25 minute ride to Dunkirk pending on exactly whre. also Blasdell is a thriving community with families kids 2 playgrounds big in a square mine with lots of summer activities for young ones.

If you want to get closer to mother with longer trip to work I would say try 

Angola NY nice center point. Close to wallmart and high end food.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Angola,+NY+14006/@42.6378397,-79.0382317,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x89d2dfe54fb4d8cb:0xe40161e96ccdce54!8m2!3d42.6383925!4d-79.0278156

20-25 minute ride downtown. 4 different beaches. 10-15 minutes to Dunkirk again on rout 5 takes you right to down town. Stay away from the properties near the beach the area West of the beaches on the other side of rout 5 has cheaper property but slimmer pickings. 

Both places give you 2 choices to get to downtown. Rout 5 or the 90 interstate throughway 

If you are in search of a Guide to the area Message me on the boards, I am more then willing to give you a ride around

• Thank you (+1) 1

You may like Hamburg.  Its Close

to the stadium, good schools  if you’re kids are younger.  I grew up in Blasdell as that is next to Hamburg.  You just have to deal with south towns weather as they get more snow than the northern part of the city.

I am sorry about you’re mom.  It not easy when a parent is sick.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

great place, to far out of the way for his needs. 

Huh?   Williamsville is too far from what?   Downtown Buffalo?  Stadium?

It's not far (time wise) from either.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Sorry to hear about your mom.   It sucks watching your parent deteriorate.    Went through it with multiple family members including my father (Alzheimers).   Depending on the severity of the situation it can be extremely sad and extremely stressful.   A friend had a father become physically combative because he didn't know who the hell the other people were in his house (all immediate family) and would want to fist fight them.   And he was a tough old bastard.   Hopefully your mom's situation will be on the milder side.

Property......

Personally I would avoid the entire city of Buffalo.   There are some decent neighborhoods but you would need to be selective.    Much of the city itself is a giant shithole.     It is not for me, but different strokes for different folks.

Best suburb really depends on how big of a lot you want your house to be on and what your budget is.

Maybe check Zillow or a MLS for places around West Seneca.    There are many good neighborhoods in Cheektowaga as long as you stay the other side of Harlem Road.    Going the other side of Union Road is even better.  A better bang for the buck would be somewhere like Depew & possibly Lancaster. 

There are also a number of really nice small towns and slightly rural areas that aren't that far (in my opinion) from the city.   Your commute times to downtown wouldn't be that bad as long as you live reasonably close to an expressway entrance.  (I-90, 290, 219, 400)   A lot of those slightly rural areas are expensive though if you are within a reasonable commute time to downtown Buffalo.    I guess it depends on what you consider to be a reasonable commute time.   If you consider up to 40 minutes a reasonable commute time, then you have a whole bunch of options.    If you want your commute to be 20 minutes then you are limited to suburbs butting directly up against the city.

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 3

Sorry to hear about your mom.  My father in law has dementia and as Polish Dave says above, it has been stressful on my wife and mother in law.

I grew up in OP and am partial to that town.  If I were to move back would either live there or East Aurora, which used to be a bit more low-key (not sure if that is still true).

Edited by Haslett_Stomp
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Sorry to hear about your mom. :( 

I fell in love with the town of Williamsville. Nice parks, great food, nice people. 

The people would be even nicer if Brunners & the Creekview had bigger parking lots, I am tired of parking 3 inches from the car next to me :w00t:

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

just make sure you look at property tax per house, it vacillates widely property to property district to district.  

6 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

The people would be even nicer if Brunners & the Creekview had bigger parking lots, I am tired of parking 3 inches from the car next to me :w00t:

Get a smaller car?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

Dunkirk has very affordable homes if you don't mind the commute.   I have a realator friend that can help ya even if looking closer to Buffalo.   Message me and I can hook you up with her.   Good luck with your Mom 

Ditto on Real Estate friends/family there -all of which are Season Ticket holders. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

North Buffalo might be a great place to look. 

Just did a little research myself, and the city of Buffalo's property taxes are nearly four times less than the burbs. 

Talk about bang for your buck. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.