Speed: John Brown vs E Sanders

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So Back in Da Day, John Brown ran a 4.34 at the 2014 combine.

Further Back in Da Day, Emmanuel Sanders ran a 4.41 at the 2010 combine.  That's not as fast, but still faster than many corners.

Fair question is: how much of that speed does each of them retain, today - 11 years and 7 years later, after multiple foot and ankle injuries and surgeries?

John Brown was 1) Out for 7+ games last season and relatively ineffective in 2 more 2) IMHO, not as fast when he returned from injury

A look at how the Bills passing game fared in those games would probably be indicative of whether your concerns are warranted

Sanders was still with Denver in the 2019 offseason when the Bills signed Brown

I believe it may be true that the Bills were interested in trading for him, but unwilling to offer the 3rd and 4th (with a 5th back) that San Fran offered.

I may be not remember the article correctly then. It was something about the Bills wanting him. Wish I could find it again but I can’t. 

• Like (+1) 1

And!

and,

Stefon sez he wants to catch more deep balls and I for one wouldn't want to bet against him. I say he gets more long TDs this year. What's he need? One? IDK? Can't recall him getting too many bombs....

Josh Allen has to learn to put a lot more air under those long passes as well.

Brown was a good player and a joy to watch when he was on the team and I appreciate his contributions.  I would be worried that since he could not crack the depth chart on a Raiders group that was average at best that he may not be 100 percent or have lost a step.    I would not see a need for Buffalo to pick him up unless there was a couple of injuries at the position.

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

I may be not remember the article correctly then. It was something about the Bills wanting him. Wish I could find it again but I can’t. 

Right before the Bills traded for Diggs they were after Sanders. Sanders wasn’t sure about joining the team and told the Bills to give some time to think about it (something like 24 hours?) Hours later that same day, Sanders saw the trade for Diggs go down and was like “ok, I guess that was that” and he made the decision to join the Saints. I recall the article as well.

• Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, billsbackto81 said:

I would assume Sanders has more catches while Davis has more yards.

Something like that. IMO if things go as they should, they both get plenty of opportunities. One might get more catches, one more yards, TDs, etc. If the offense is successful and the team succeeds, who (other than the player, his agent/family/friends) really cares about who has better numbers? Especially if you factore in blocking, effort when not the primary receiver, etc.

2 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Right before the Bills traded for Diggs they were after Sanders. Sanders wasn’t sure about joining the team and told the Bills to give some time to think about it (something like 24 hours?) Hours later that same day, Sanders saw the trade for Diggs go down and was like “ok, I guess that was that” and he made the decision to join the Saints. I recall the article as well.

I can believe that, originally though the assertion was we were trying to sign Sanders in 2019 before we signed Brown. 

He was under contract to Denver at that time.

Shouldn't be any question that we lost something in terms of speed. Defenses and safeties will indeed notice and we probably won't see as much two deep.

On the other hand, while he won't get over the top as often as Brown was able to till they just stayed deep on him, Sanders also gets deep occasionally, though he does it differently, using route running, suddenness and moves rather than raw speed.

But Sanders has his own strengths, which will create complications and difficulties for defenses.

We definitely lost something, and we'll likely see the result of that. But we still have Allen, and he's the key figure here, and Sanders will cause problems for defenses, though they will be different problems. We lost something, but gained something else.

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Because Brown wouldn't even make this roster.  No chance.

Money matters aside, as well as age and where people are in the arcs of their careers, and roles in terms of who's a slot guy and who's not, all of that aside ... based only on talent, of course Brown would make this roster.

He's better than Kumerow and McKenzie. Maybe even Davis, though that's harder to say.

Of course, you can't in real life throw away salary, age and roles. But if they could afford him, he'd very very likely make the team. Guys who the Bills cut or don't re-sign tend to be consistently under-rated on the boards, a kind of sour grapes, "who needs him" kind of feeling. Brown was a good receiver. Availability problems last year but hasn't overall been injury-prone. Which of Kumerow, Davis and McKenzie has put up a thousand yard season with Josh Allen throwing to him, or with any other QB for that matter?

4 hours ago, GoBills! said:

Gabe Davis will be the bigger threat with Sanders and Beasley going in spots 3 & 4. Brown lost his spot to Gabe not Sanders. 

Possible, but unlikely. Certainly nothing we've seen so far.

The Bills' own depth chart lists Davis behind Sanders.

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/depth-chart

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

Sanders was a burner coming into the league. 4.39 to 4.41

4.34 for Brown at the combine

Sanders 10 yd and 20 yd splits were faster than Browns. Don't know how much speed he's lost but he's still pretty quick and fast and is a better and more complete route runner than Brown.

2 hours ago, foreboding said:

I suspect Gabe will TBH. Kid is a well-prepared gamer and rarely drops a ball, not to mention he has some serious "toe-drag-swag."

Davis had some amazing catches but I have to disagree about that he rarely drops a ball , actually his drop rate was higher then Knox 

Edited by Putin
  • Thank you (+1) 1