Speed: John Brown vs E Sanders

23 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Anyone concerned that John Brown's ability to keep safeties deep was lost when E Sanders replaced him?   

Anyone have their relative 40 times?    I don't recall Sanders being a burner.   Hope I am wrong..

Concerned we have a great, but less fast WR group, and secondaries will accordingly play tighter to the line of scrimmage.  

How many games was Smoke on the sidelines??  Nope not worried with Diggs/Beaz/Sanders/Davis on the field.  Nope not worried at all....

Go BILLS!

• Thank you (+1) 1

John Brown was great his first year here, but last season he was neither healthy nor effective.

I'm hoping that eventually Marquez Stevenson can take on the role of deep threat in this offense. I think McKenzie's injury may give him an opportunity to show off his kick/punt return ability. He could be deadly on jet sweeps as well.

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Anyone concerned that John Brown's ability to keep safeties deep was lost when E Sanders replaced him?   

Anyone have their relative 40 times?    I don't recall Sanders being a burner.   Hope I am wrong..

Concerned we have a great, but less fast WR group, and secondaries will accordingly play tighter to the line of scrimmage.  

Brown was never the same after the first few weeks of the season.  I think his game has dropped a notch after his career best 2019.  He’s still a good receiver but it seems that injuries have taken their toll

2 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Maybe not drops and fumbles but the rest of the stats yes...

lol come on!  Beasley didn't beat Davis+Brown last year.  

Davis is on the rise and Sanders is more of a weapon than Brown was.  Those increased target for the 2 of them will come off Beasley's plate.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Speed is overrated unless it’s Tyreek hill speed. Sanders route tree is much better and Sanders Diggs and even Davis have shown they can get over the top. I’m sure McKenzie can too. 

I agree to an extent. But I’d add there are different levels. At least more than Tyreek and everybody else.

It seems like Brown doesn’t have a ton of juice left in the tank. We do have a bunch of guys in the mid to low 4.4 range. So I don’t think speed is an issue. If I had to guess, Stevenson will fit the JB mold as he progresses and/or gets healthy. Very similar size and speedy.

McKenzie is a tough sub because he’s so short. Gabe Davis is a quality receiver, but too slow to put in the “take the top off the defense” bucket in the mid 4.5’s compared to JB’s mid 4.3’s at the combine. 

Bills are fine with speed, hands, and route running over all. I’d like to see them add a dynamic guy or two with some more size to play on the outside next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think Brown’s issues were more mental than physical and he never recovered. I can’t find the article, but I remember him saying while he watched the offense explode without him last year, he didn’t know quite where he fit after returning and had to get his confidence back up. I raised an eyebrow at his statements because I never thought he would lack for confidence or feel marginalized. He just didn’t play the same as he had before the missed time.

43 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Sanders is a slot receiver, brown isnt. Davis is the #2. Both him and Diggs are good deep threats.

We will miss brown on his curl routes though. he was awesome on those bc teams respected his deep threat so much

Are you simply making stuff up?  

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/depth-chart  WR#2, not slot

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nor/2020_roster.htm NO Saints 202 WR, not slot

Sanders has the ability to play slot as well as outside.

• Like (+1) 2

As oft stated, the best ability is availability and JB didn’t have it last year. I truly think it’s as simple as that. 

It may be the same with Sanders due to his age but there is only way to fine out. I don’t believe there’s reason to think that heading in to the year. 

Edited by TroutDog

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol come on!  Beasley didn't beat Davis+Brown last year.  

Davis is on the rise and Sanders is more of a weapon than Brown was.  Those increased target for the 2 of them will come off Beasley's plate.

Nah, he's going back for seconds and thirds even though it's a buffet. 

• Haha (+1) 1

It's a good question to ask.  My thought is that Brown was injured so much last year that defenses were not overly concerned about his speed over the top.  I don't think it will be an issue.

The Bills offense is very unique because of Allen.  Allen is elite with the intermediate depth throw.  Those throws are dependent on an extra second of pass blocking which the O-line does very well and WR's that run great routes.  That is what the WR group does well.  

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

Sanders isn’t a burner anymore, but he still can separate very well and he should be productive here.  It surprised me that the Bills did not make getting a deep threat a priority.  But on the other hand losing Brown last season didn’t seem to hurt the passing game so maybe separation is what works with Allen and this offense.  A deep threat is always helpful for an offense but maybe it’s not as important for this one.  I dunno. We shall see.