Hollister signing with Jags

SC BIlls Fan

6 minutes ago, H2o said:

Aaaaand The Legend of Jacob Hollister continues. We didn't release George Kittle, or Travis Kelce, or Rob Gronkowski, or Mark Andrews. No, we released Jacob Hollister and it's going to wreck our season. :rolleyes:

No, we're just questioning why a TE who ran good routes and caught everything that was thrown at him is playing for the Jags, while we've got a #1 who drops room service passes, two guys who belong in a M*A*S*H unit, a guy playing FB, and the immortal Quintin Morris.  In McBeane we trust.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, msw2112 said:

I'd guess that a healthy Sweeney and Hollister are relatively interchangeable

I could be mistaken, but I don't see it. 

Sweeney over Hollister is the most puzzling decision on the roster to me.  I thought a 7th round pick after a year on IR could slide right onto the practice squad.

The only way it makes sense to me is that the Bills see Knox and Hollister as filling relatively interchangeable roles - Hollister would be the Kroft-replacement as Knox's backup - and they believe Sweeney's strength and blocking technique have improved to where he can more edge towards being the Lee Smith replacement, the TE who can block in-line or leak out, and who the other team kind of forgets about because he lacks the speed and agility to separate downfield.  In this scenario, the Bills decided to do without a backup to Knox on the roster (or feel a combination of Kumerow and Gilliam could fill that role in a pinch) in order to leave room for an extra DE.

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, H2o said:

Aaaaand The Legend of Jacob Hollister continues. We didn't release George Kittle, or Travis Kelce, or Rob Gronkowski, or Mark Andrews. No, we released Jacob Hollister and it's going to wreck our season. :rolleyes:

Way to embellish what most people are saying.  I don’t think anyone is going to that extreme.  They have questioned the move of releasing Hollister and keeping Sweeney, when Hollister’s quickness and ability to get downfield are something that the team doesn’t have at the position.  

The other danger is relying on Dawson Knox who looked like the same player he’s always been in the preseason.   If Knox is injured or playing poorly, the team is in better shape with Hollister getting snaps than Sweeney

3 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Trevor Lawrence.

Lawrence….and the other TE on the team:

Jimmy O’Shauhnessy

Chris Manhertz

Luke Farrell

There’s a good chance Hollister is the starting TE a few weeks into the season, if not sooner.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

…. edge towards being the Lee Smith replacement, the TE who can block in-line or leak out,…

Has he been consistently jumping Offside in practice? If so I think you’ve nailed it 🙃 

Ironically he’s the anti-Knox, absolutely great hands, solid blocker and marginal athlete… 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JimmyNoodles said:

Not sure playing with Sunshine is worth a 4 or 5 win season. I thought Hollister would be back but signing with the jags makes me question how great other offers were. 

He's gonna be on the field playing in Jacksonville. Did people really think he would be on a PS? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JimmyNoodles said:

Not sure playing with Sunshine is worth a 4 or 5 win season. I thought Hollister would be back but signing with the jags makes me question how great other offers were. 

The Bills clearly had no intention of bringing him back.  With the Jags, he's arguably TE1, with the best QB prospect since Josh Allen.  He's playing the long game.  Good for him.

16 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Has he been consistently jumping Offside in practice? If so I think you’ve nailed it 🙃 

Ironically he’s the anti-Knox, absolutely great hands, solid blocker and marginal athlete… 

Bold prediction:  We will miss Lee Smith this year.

7 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The Bills clearly had no intention of bringing him back.  With the Jags, he's arguably TE1, with the best QB prospect since Josh Allen.  He's playing the long game.  Good for him.

How so?  As an extra blocker?  

16 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I’m glad he’s got a gig but there’s no long game. By the time the jags are any good (or if) Hollister won’t be a featured player. He’s got a chance to start this year…good for him. I would have guessed that if any contending teams made an offer as a backup he might take it to be on a winner. I don’t think any “good” teams made an offer but we’ll never know. 

2 minutes ago, GLP said:

He's better than Sweeney. Sweeney's always injured. He's made of glass.

He's better than Knox and Sweeney when it comes to routes and catching the ball. 

Two seasons:

Knox     14 drops 94 targets 52 rec

Hollister 3 drops 99 targets 66 rec

Sweeney is a blocker and short field safety valve, too slow to get open downfield without a blown coverage.

It is what it is. This team is stacked at wr and Allen looks ready to attack. Hollister as a rather weak blocker was not what they were looking for. I think he will have more opportunity and production in Jacksonville so that's good for him.

No matter, it's in the rearview mirror and the Bills are ready to kickoff the season. This is gonna be good.

17 minutes ago, JimmyNoodles said:

I’m glad he’s got a gig but there’s no long game. By the time the jags are any good (or if) Hollister won’t be a featured player. He’s got a chance to start this year…good for him. I would have guessed that if any contending teams made an offer as a backup he might take it to be on a winner. I don’t think any “good” teams made an offer but we’ll never know. 

You should be a GM, you seem to know everything.

9 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

He's better than Knox and Sweeney when it comes to routes and catching the ball. 

Two seasons:

Knox     14 drops 94 targets 52 rec

Hollister 3 drops 99 targets 66 rec

Sweeney is a blocker and short field safety valve, too slow to get open downfield without a blown coverage.

It is what it is. This team is stacked at wr and Allen looks ready to attack. Hollister as a rather weak blocker was not what they were looking for. I think he will have more opportunity and production in Jacksonville so that's good for him.

No matter, it's in the rearview mirror and the Bills are ready to kickoff the season. This is gonna be good.

You should be a GM, you seem to know everything.

My bad. I thought this was about expressing opinions. For the most part, I don’t even really disagree with yours, only in that I don’t think Hollister got any other good offers besides the jags. Cheers 🍻 

I was excited about the Knox/Hollister combo. They’re both tall and relatively fast. Not on the Hernandez/Gronk level but our 2 TE looks would have at least made defenses think for an extra second about coverages. 

We’ve seen Sweeney. Here’s hoping Gilliam can be the first hybrid FB/TE. Or our secret weapon in Morris is a quick study. 

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

How so?  As an extra blocker?  

Deep threat? 

17 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

As a serviceable TE.  We have one right now, and he drops passes.

Sweeney had the same number of catches in 2019 and 2020 as Lee.  He also didn’t play in 2020. It’ll be ok. 

• Like (+1) 1