McDermott press conference 9/2 and practice updates

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I do think everyone was a little too hyper focused on any drops he had.

He plays a really important role in the passing offense when the ball's not thrown to him, and he doesn't get a lot of credit for it.

He is really good at taking the top off the defense and forcing a safety to commit to him. This opens up a lot of one on one opportunities for the wr's. Like on the double post on Gabe's TD vs GB. 

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

He's easily the worst player of all time, and what's even more amazing for a Super Bowl contending team is that we have THREE of the worst players of all time starting between him, Edmunds, and Lotulelei

And the one of those running backs. 🤪

Edited by todd

1 hour ago, Flip Johnson said:

Agree.

I also think "drops" in the NFL have a lot to do with anticipation and timing. Knox could probably catch 100 straight balls on a JUGS machine his rookie year. But he drops the ball in real games, because at game speed when you are still figuring out footwork, timing, soft spots in the zone, etc. the ball can get on you faster than you anticipate. 

The point is, I believe his hands are fine. I think he's going to take a step in his feel for the game and when that happens his drops will go down.

I’ve had teammates that were All Pro at practice, but froze up in games. 

4 hours ago, Mango said:

I have had a suspicion that Hollister didn't lose his job to Sweeney, he lost it to Kumerow. If they want two receiving TE's on the field, I suspect the staff thinks Kumerow can fill that role. They are the same height, Hollister has 30 lbs, but Kumerow is quicker.

Agree.

And maybe Kumerow is a better blocker.  Not of DEs, but of DBs and OLBs he would be called on to block in our offense (no idea here).  But surely OBD has studied tape on Kumerow's blocking, in addition to other stuff.  Hollister-as-Tight-End might have lined up more in-line and been called upon to block big guys.

and plus too, probably Kumerow woulda been snatched up on release.  and/or Kumerow and his agent made noises about all the phone calls holding on line 2.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Is it just me or do other starting TE's in the league also drop balls from time to time

I am old and getting senile but I seem to remember that

Well every TE WR RB will have a drop once in a while. Obviously some just drop more often than others.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

For those without IG, josh Allen comments  on the post from the Bills: 

“Not a flag… only one pump”

I still can't believe the NFL is trying to regulate this. What do they think is going to happen if they don't? All out brawls? Cats hanging out with dogs? Men marrying goal posts?

Too lazy to dig....

What are the advanced stats on Knox - like that expected catch rate or yards after catches - anything is there anything that's the equivalent of "yea he strikes out a lot but his hard hit percentage and barrel rate is tremendous."  

The books say 14 drops in 2 seasons.  

His rookie year he had 50 targets - which really isn't bad.  

He missed some time last season.  

What about his blocking?  It has to be superior to Hollister.  And honestly this has to be where the TE helps us most.  We have got to be able to run effectively especially when the weather is bad (think of the games Cleveland played - overall we got lucky last year)