McDermott press conference 9/2 and practice updates

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

So I don't think he is addressing the issue some are scratching their heads about re: the tight end room. Knox is the starter, OK. But what has Sweeney shown to keep him and not Hollister? 

This sort of feels like not bringing in a quality vet to challenge your young QB so that you can show faith in him. Except you don't put two QB's on the field at the same time. 

I have had a suspicion that Hollister didn't lose his job to Sweeney, he lost it to Kumerow. If they want two receiving TE's on the field, I suspect the staff thinks Kumerow can fill that role. They are the same height, Hollister has 30 lbs, but Kumerow is quicker. I suspect Kumerow is a better ST player as well. They view Kumerow as a better big bodied receiving threat and provides more utility at ST. 

I posted these elsewhere but here are their stats.  Reminder that Hollister has played 4 years to Knox's 2.

Here is a knox/Hollister comparison

Knox: 52 catches, 676 yards, 5 tds in 2 years

Hollister: 74 catches, 652 yards (!), and 6 tds

Hollister has played with Russ Wilson and Brady so he didn't have scrubs throwing it to him either...

2 extra years and he has a grand total of 22 more catches or less than 1 per game.  He has 24 less yards on 22 extra catches.  He has 1 more td in 2 extra years.

The stats say Knox is better.  Knox has been in the system for 2 years.  It really isn't a surprise.

I'll flip your Sweeney question, what has Hollister shown that Sweeney hasn't?  Sweeney again has 2 years of familiarity with the team.  Hollister has his own injury issues.  I think you are spot on that he lost his job to Kumerow but he is just a guy.  He isn't a huge difference maker.  He also is still unsigned so if something happens he is available to be brought back in.

I do love that the Bills are in a position where people are complaining about keeping a 3rd te instead of which qb we want to see starting. :beer:  

7 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Until he makes crucial plays and stops the critical drops and missed blocks, he's on probation. 

Like this one that helped us win the game?

• Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

49 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Knox is coming for all you haters.

Crow sandwiches forthcoming.   

So what if a crow sandwich is coming. We all hope one is.

That doesn't change that he has been, at best, inconsistent. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, Rico said:

I also remember one TC report that the Bills were using Kumerow in a very different way that couldn’t be divulged lest the reporter receive a Chris Brown-like suspension.

Empty sets Knox needs a blow I like Kumerow  inside.  I think he adds some diversity to the 4 Wr sets.  Kumerow lining up inside on bunch sets and the like.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, section122 said:

I posted these elsewhere but here are their stats.  Reminder that Hollister has played 4 years to Knox's 2.

Hollister has played with Russ Wilson and Brady so he didn't have scrubs throwing it to him either...

2 extra years and he has a grand total of 22 more catches or less than 1 per game.  He has 24 less yards on 22 extra catches.  He has 1 more td in 2 extra years.

The stats say Knox is better.  Knox has been in the system for 2 years.  It really isn't a surprise.

I'll flip your Sweeney question, what has Hollister shown that Sweeney hasn't?  Sweeney again has 2 years of familiarity with the team.  Hollister has his own injury issues.  I think you are spot on that he lost his job to Kumerow but he is just a guy.  He isn't a huge difference maker.  He also is still unsigned so if something happens he is available to be brought back in.

I do love that the Bills are in a position where people are complaining about keeping a 3rd te instead of which qb we want to see starting. :beer:  

I think that play got a little in his head, got to take what's out there and not think too much about doing something like that again, it'll happen when it happens.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

So what if a crow sandwich is coming. We all hope one is.

That doesn't change that he has been, at best, inconsistent. 

You'd think he's the worst player of all-time from the comments on this site.

We all knew, or should have, that he was a project coming out.  Switched from QB to TE and had very little experience or production at the position- and at a position that historically takes some time to transition to the pro game.  I thought he started coming on late in the season and I'm optimistic moving forward.  We shall see.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

You'd think he's the worst player of all-time from the comments on this site.

We all knew, or should have, that he was a project coming out.  Switched from QB to TE and had very little experience or production at the position- and at a position that historically takes some time to transition to the pro game.  I thought he started coming on late in the season and I'm optimistic moving forward.  We shall see.

He's easily the worst player of all time, and what's even more amazing for a Super Bowl contending team is that we have THREE of the worst players of all time starting between him, Edmunds, and Lotulelei

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 10
  • Dislike 1

Apparently, The Bills don't need more than 1 pass receiving TE on the active roster, and the rest they want as primarily blocking TEs for goal-line/short yardage. Keep in mind the Bills are keeping SEVEN wide outs. Clearly that's where the other receiving TE position went to.

You're looking at an offense that's going to be base 11, often 10, and probably never 12/22 unless it's short yardage. In that sense, Hollister is redundant to Knox, and are comfortable with Quintin Morris (a hybrid WR/TE in college) coming off the practice squad if Knox gets injured.

I also wonder if Hollister thinks he'll get a shot elsewhere to be on a 53, so turned down a Practice Squad spot.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, section122 said:

Knox is like the little girl with the curl. He can be spectacular and then inexplicably drop wide open passes or miss a block that blows up a play. Why are constantly trying to get a more consistent TE for either down field production or better blocking. I'm rooting for Knox to realize his potential. 

17 minutes ago, section122 said:

Dude I am not turning this into a Hollister vs. the World thread. My point was that McD bringing up Knox in regards to people asking about Hollister seems disingenuous. I think most people can wrap their head around the fact that Knox is the starter and this staff is committed to him as a player at the moment. I think what people are questioning is the fact that he didn't make the roster at all despite having a good preseason, some prior NFL production, and familiarity with our starting QB, on a team needing more production from the TE position that keeps dragging on a year long rumor about Zach Ertz.  Which is fair.

I am saying Kumerow beat him out for that role, bringing Knox into the conversation by McD just creates a conversation that isn't relevant to why Hollister is not on the roster. 

Go crusade against Kumerow or for Sweeney/Knox in the other 5 threads about the issue. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, appoo said:

Apparently, The Bills don't need more than 1 pass receiving TE on the active roster, and the rest they want as primarily blocking TEs for goal-line/short yardage. Keep in mind the Bills are keeping SEVEN wide outs. Clearly that's where the other receiving TE position went to.

You're looking at an offense that's going to be base 11, often 10, and probably never 12/22 unless it's short yardage. In that sense, Hollister is redundant to Knox, and are comfortable with Quintin Morris (a hybrid WR/TE in college) coming off the practice squad if Knox gets injured.

I also wonder if Hollister thinks he'll get a shot elsewhere to be on a 53, so turned down a Practice Squad spot.

^This. Seems like Daboll wants to keep Diggs/Sanders/Davis/Beasley and McKenzie/Kumerow on the field as often as possible, and given our WR depth chart it’s hard to see why he wouldn’t. No reason to put two mediocre TEs on the field when that’s your receiving stable. 

We’re more than likely rolling with almost all 1TE sets. This is where Sweeney making the roster as a primary blocking TE makes sense over the pass catching Hollister as we’ll roll 2TE sets with the objective of blocking. The argument is about how much we want to telegraph those plays (a la Lee Smith coming on the field telegraphing runs).

This to say, given this year’s depth at WR and separately at DE, Hollister became expendable when compared with his roster comp in Knox, to the FO.

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, appoo said:

This is my guess.  I don't know the TE situation around the league, but I would assume that there are few better places to get the opportunity to shine outside of Buffalo right now. I don't see how being TE 2 or 3 for a team like the Raiders is a better fit for him in the long term. 

1 minute ago, Mango said:

This is my guess.  I don't know the TE situation around the league, but I would assume that there are few better places to get the opportunity to shine outside of Buffalo right now. I don't see how being TE 2 or 3 for a team like the Raiders is a better fit for him in the long term. 

We discussed this a bit yesterday. Coach Tuesday reminded me about the Jets. They have Tyler Kroft, who is nothing, and virtually nothing else. 

Just now, Green Lightning said:

Until he has to block. 

I think he means inside like in slot, not inline TE. Kumerow is a good blocker for a WR. 

Reputations can  be strange things.  As Marv said "If you get a reputation as an early riser you can sleep 'til noon."  Similar to first impressions are lasting ones.  Meaning once people believe something, they are reluctant to give it up.  In a year marred by a concussion, COVID and a calf injury, he managed to finish the 2nd half of the year well.  TEs are a slow to develop position and I think 2021 will be a big year for him.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

Knox is coming for all you haters.

Crow sandwiches forthcoming.   

I have said ALL along - I want the kid to do well.  TE school didn't seem to help much.  I hope he shows us all up!

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Why we hang on to Webb Davis and dont sign Hollister to the PS is beyond me.

Lets just be honest about it and hire Webb as a Coach, assistant to Ken Dorsey.

I could get behind this!!

Go BILLS!

Edited by Kwai San
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, appoo said:

Did we offer Hollister a PS spot, I was not aware of that.