Stake your position on abortion

Abortion where do people stand?   

27 members have voted

1. 1. Abortion - what should be legal? (excluding rape and incest)

• Never
    • Upon detection by a medical entity but then immediately
    • 6 weeks along, if un aware you miss the window.
    • First trimester at latest
    • Second trimester at latest
    • Full term assuming no risk to birthing human (Mother for people who are normal)
    • Only in certain health situations for the berthing human at any time
    • Bruh I’m woke and identify as male so I cant pretend be in this conversation and don’t want to exacerbate things 😉
    • Other-what else is there?

9 minutes ago, Irv said:

I think Demented Biden and his communist buddies will botch any ruling.  That being said, there should be no abortions past the first trimester unless the mother's life is at risk or the baby will be stillborn.  On the other hand no women should be forced to have a baby after she has been raped.  No way.  

Irv, that exactly why we have 50 States. If you don't like the rules, regulations, tax policy, etc in one State you can always move or visit another one. It's been going on for all sorts of laws for the entire history of the nation. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Roe v Wade should have never made it to the Supreme court.  There is no wording in the constitution addressing reproductive rights and there is no constitutional-based precedent either.  If you watch some old YouTube videos of Anthony Scalia, he addresses this subject much better than I!

Our democracy has a really neat branch called the legislative branch.  In our form of government congress is responsible for drafting and passing laws whereas the Supreme court only interprets the laws that are passed.  

Roe v Wade should have been addressed in one of three ways:

1.  By congress so federal laws were put in place regarding reproductive rights.  

2.  By constitutional amendment so the court could protect abortion based on the constitutionality in the amendment.

3.  By states writing local (state) laws.

Roe v Wade will be rightly overturned.  Not because women shouldn't have the right to choose, but because 9 people in robes shouldn't be making this decision for all Americans.   

My hope is overturning Roe v Wade will force congress to negotiate and pass a law somewhere between no and unlimited abortion.  

• Agree 2

The specific language used in the Right to Privacy cases that gave rise to Roe - primarily Griswold, a case about laws banning contraceptives - was always kind of an object of ridicule in law school. Justice Douglas "found" that right in "penumbras, formed by emanations from those guarantees [i.e., those found in the Bill of Rights] that help give them life and substance."

Well, when you put it that way you're gonna be ridiculed. And rightly so. That flowery language really didn't help Griswold (and later Roe, based on Griswold) stand the test of time.

Having said that, I have always wound up thinking that the Supreme Court got it just about right on substance. There is something that makes state intrusion on the body of a pregnant woman, including when only she really even suspects she's pregnant, downright creepy. After all, it's not a whole lot different in the immediate post-conception days than Connecticut outlawing contraception (the exact thing that sent Douglas off on his "penumbras" and "emanations" tangent). And there is also something very disturbing, bordering on infanticide, about aborting a fetus that could live as a baby independent of its mother. 

So the Supreme Court drew lines. Nobody's been particularly pleased with the way they drew them. And the viability line, before which the state really has no business outlawing abortion, is an unclear one that changes with science and medicine and that still ought to give people pause as the "right place" to draw the line.

So I have no issue with states tinkering - just a bit! - at the margins. But I do have an issue with upsetting the core principle of Roe, even if it was right for the wrong (or poorly elucidated) reasons.

18 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Irv, that exactly why we have 50 States. If you don't like the rules, regulations, tax policy, etc in one State you can always move or visit another one. It's been going on for all sorts of laws for the entire history of the nation. 

Duly noted.  I live in NY where the baby can be "aborted" 1 second before birth.  Perverted Sexual Predator Cuomo.  What a mess.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Republicans are really stupid for making this push now. The democrats love it, its going to rally their bases and pull back a whole bunch of moderates and independents who don’t agree with all abortion, but recognize the practicality of someone getting pregnant who doesn’t want to be having an out. 

it might even save the democrats in the mid terms. 

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Republicans are really stupid for making this push now. The democrats love it, its going to rally their bases and pull back a whole bunch of moderates and independents who don’t agree with all abortion, but recognize the practicality of someone getting pregnant who doesn’t want to be having an out. 

Agree, makes sense

Tiny-baby-640x480.jpg

‘Miraculous’ Baby Born 18 Weeks Early Home For The Holidays

by Dr. Susan Berry

A Houston infant who was born weighing 1 lb. 9 oz. and measuring 11 inches long is being called a “miracle” baby. Jimena “JC” Macias was due to arrive in September, but her mother, Juana Gallegos, went into labor on April 29 when she was only 22 weeks pregnant. “They pretty much told me they weren’t going to be able to resuscitate her or be able to do anything for her if she was born there, at that time, that early,” Gallegos said, according to WCNC News.

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/health/tiny-miracle-baby-born-18-weeks-early-is-home-for-the-holidays/285-73f2ae5c-a673-4878-9e5e-fcc8170962d3

https://www.breitbart.com/pre-viral/2021/12/03/texas-miraculous-baby-born-18-weeks-early-home-for-the-holidays/

On 12/3/2021 at 3:50 PM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Abortion is not the hot button mover politicos think it is.  

It’s insanely passion-driven for small groups on each side of the aisle, but most people have their personal beliefs - and then politically - are comfortable with abortion being legal through 12 weeks and then only in medical emergencies. 

Sending it to the states is not going to move the needle when most people aren’t comfortable with the laws as they are now. 

States that attempt to make abortion illegal altogether will either be supported or voted out.   Many will simply have some variation of heartbeat to 12 weeks, which (12 weeks) is the predominant position of both men and women. 

Edited by SCBills

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

MANDATE VASECTOMIES

I get that this is a joke, but ... anti-Roe folks should stop and think for a minute:

Q. What federal constitutional right would prevent the government from mandating vasectomies?

A. Good luck finding one. Without relying on constitutional doctrine like Roe (and Griswold, the contraception case before it) you won't succeed.

This seems like a far-fetched scenario now. It wasn't far-fetched around the time of Roe! Back when I was a law student I had occasion to look at some lengthy discussions of legal scholars from the late 1960s/early 1970s when everyone was concerned about "The Population Bomb." That was even the title of a popular book.

The question was whether states or the federal government could mandate things like birth control and vasectomies/tubal ligations (much like China a little later on) to defuse the population bomb. The consensus was pretty much, "Yes, they can, and they may have to if other measures don't succeed in limiting birth rates." The idea was that overpopulation was going to lead to ecological destruction and the very end of humanity as we know it, so drastic measures like this may be necessary. And guess what? You won't find anything in the Bill of Rights to stop states from setting, say, a 2 child limit per woman.

So if you find this now wild scenario absolutely unacceptable, you're probably likely to shout "it's unconstitutional." But when you shout that, remember that you're drawing on cases like Griswold and Roe in saying that the government has no right to dictate what we do with our own bodies.

And some of you may shout "it's unconstitutional" when talking about vaccine mandates. And you too will be relying on Griswold and Roe in doing so, even if you don't realize it.

Food for thought.

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I get that this is a joke, but ... anti-Roe folks should stop and think for a minute:

Q. What federal constitutional right would prevent the government from mandating vasectomies?

A. Good luck finding one. Without relying on constitutional doctrine like Roe (and Griswold, the contraception case before it) you won't succeed.

This seems like a far-fetched scenario now. It wasn't far-fetched around the time of Roe! Back when I was a law student I had occasion to look at some lengthy discussions of legal scholars from the late 1960s/early 1970s when everyone was concerned about "The Population Bomb." That was even the title of a popular book.

The question was whether states or the federal government could mandate things like birth control and vasectomies/tubal ligations (much like China a little later on) to defuse the population bomb. The consensus was pretty much, "Yes, they can, and they may have to if other measures don't succeed in limiting birth rates." The idea was that overpopulation was going to lead to ecological destruction and the very end of humanity as we know it, so drastic measures like this may be necessary. And guess what? You won't find anything in the Bill of Rights to stop states from setting, say, a 2 child limit per woman.

So if you find this now wild scenario absolutely unacceptable, you're probably likely to shout "it's unconstitutional." But when you shout that, remember that you're drawing on cases like Griswold and Roe in saying that the government has no right to dictate what we do with our own bodies.

And some of you may shout "it's unconstitutional" when talking about vaccine mandates. And you too will be relying on Griswold and Roe in doing so, even if you don't realize it.

Food for thought.

Government has laws as to what you do to another’s body.  I.e. you cannot kill another person. 

Nothing you just posted matters if someone believes that an innocent life is being killed. 

We all know that’s what’s happening, some just want to pretend it’s not. 

And for the record, I think it should absolutely go to the states, and I would be ok with the predominant position of most Americans… legal through the first trimester and then only in medical emergencies after…. Also, the position of most of the world. 

Abortion is evil, but we have a lot of evil in this world and Pandora’s box has already been opened on this issue. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

On 12/3/2021 at 10:12 AM, Irv said:

Duly noted.  I live in NY where the baby can be "aborted" 1 second before birth.  Perverted Sexual Predator Cuomo.  What a mess.  

Soon Mississippi, a "pro-life" state, will ban abortions, so that should make you happy. This is the same state that refused to expand medicare for the poor, ranks dead last in infant mortality and ranks dead last in child hunger. Pro-life my butt. They just want to harass people under the guise of some "Christian morality" Blah 

4 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Soon Mississippi, a "pro-life" state, will ban abortions, so that should make you happy. This is the same state that refused to expand medicare for the poor, ranks dead last in infant mortality and ranks dead last in child hunger. Pro-life my butt. They just want to harass people under the guise of some "Christian morality" Blah 

Christian Morality? You’re clueless. 

5 hours ago, Tiberius said:

It's also going to mean many young and poor women are going to be seriously harmed in seeking illegal abortions. Horrible nightmare awaiting these poor women. 

Awwww these poor women.  Birth control is free isn't it?